post apocalyptic flicks?

NyquilAddict said:
I don't appreciate how homosexuals are portrayed in Road Warrior.
Which was? I don't remember any homosexuals in Road Warrior - I remember only some ultra-brutal heterosexual rape from -sexual things.

NyquilAddict said:
But go figure it's somewhat bland and Mel Gibson is in it. But oh noes, it has a lot to do with Fallout in general, ban!
Personally, I have preferred Mad Max 1.

NyquilAddict said:
And hurray for Nazis too. And hurray for rich, snotty, arrogant Europeans and demented backwater Americans who try to create this label for themselves online so they appear to be desensitized or something.
:wtf:

Threads - Was good enough to upset me for a week afterwards.

When the Wind Blows - Who would have thought a British cartoon about two old people could be so damn evocative?

Six String Samurai - You'll never defeat HEAVY METALLLLL

The Quiet Earth - Dunno if this constitutes as post-apocalyptic, there is no war, everyone just disappears. Without spoiling the movie at all, there are very, very few actors in it. Love it.

Nausicaa - Too lazy to type out the full name. The first anime movie I ever watched, solely because it was post-apocalyptic. If you can get over the fact that Shia LaBeouf voices a main character (for balance, Patrick Stewart also lends his sexy-god voice to one too), it's worth a watch.

Akira - Again, anime. Not as good as Nausicaa, but still excellent.

La Jetee - You have to see it to appreciate it.

Last Night - This is actually very, very pre-apocalyptic. Like the same day.

Wall-E - I never expected Pixar to actually pull off a post-apoc.

The Postman - Okay...maybe I have bad taste.

Idaho Transfer - The acting isn't the best, but the story is great.

Hardware a really good post apoc film with Lemmy from Motorhead and Iggy Pop in it, set in the 2000AD universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_(1990_film)

There have been a lot of good movies listed in this thread, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) Glen and Randa, which is about as classic and thoughtful a post-apocalytpic tale as has ever been put onto film. It's a story of two young "tribals" who set out, very unprepared, on a journey across a very well-designed wasteland world populated by colorful characters. The "mood" of the movie is something that any Fallout fan would appreciate.

I second The Survivalist and Idaho Transfer mentioned on this page; both are low-budget but interesting and well done "low profile" movies. Steve Railsback (The Survivalist) was also in another decent post-apocalyptic flick called Escape 2000. Despite the goofy title, it's worth watching.

I sort of enjoyed an on-theme B-movie comedy from the 80's called Radioactive Dreams, about two guys who grow up by themselves in a "vault" and recieve their entire education about the outside world and the past from some 1940's detective novels left sitting around. They then cause a big culture clash as they set out across the wasteland in search of their long-lost father. It's as strange as it sounds, but it had its moments.

Dean Cain had two respectably good post-apocalyptic movies a few years back. One, called Final Encounter, actually plays out almost like a game. Two dwindling factions from an ancient war, who continue to despise each other despite not actually seeing battle in decades, search for a way to blow up their world once and for all. The other one, Post Impact (also reminiscent of a game plotline), is about a group of soldiers and scientists who have to travel into a frozen wasteland left over after an asteroid hits the earth in an effort to salvage some old technology. They're both first-rate second-rate movies, and worth a watch.

Back