Problem running Fallout 1 High Res Patch

I'm also having issues with the hi-res patch for Fallout 1 (US ver. 1.1)

I install the patch, it patches the falloutw exe. I then tweak the exe file to use my display's resolution (1920x1200.) I play with the .ini settings and still nothing.

Fallout remains at the default low res, as if it was never patched.

The patch for Fallout 2 works beautifully, but the patch for Fallout 1 doesn't work.

I'd, appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

FarGo Traders:
If you are running US version 1.1 in WinXP you need to set compatibility mode to Windows 95 or Windows 98/ME.

Deadron:
Have you tried scrolling on the diagonals(move the mouse into the corners). Scrolling can be a little sticky when entering some maps. This will be fixed in the next release which will hopefully be sometime this week.
If that doesn't work let me know what res your using and which part of the hub is causing problems.

Thanks, Mash. Works great now. I needed to run the game in Win98 compatibility mode.

Everything is detailed, sharp, and the view is amazing.

But is it just me or does my char look a bit smaller than say, what I'm used to seeing on a 14-inch CRT (what I played Fallout on originally back in 1998.) Or is it just that the view is so much larger that objects/NPCs only *seem* smaller?

Thanks!

For FarGo Traders: It should all be there pixel for pixel, Between your monitor size and your chosen res your just seeing more dots per inch then your old 14" at 640x480.

For Niksha: I'm working toward this but its a slow process. The next release will have a scaled to screen main-menu as well as splash, help and ending slides.

Mash said:
For FarGo Traders: It should all be there pixel for pixel, Between your monitor size and your chosen res your just seeing more dots per inch then your old 14" at 640x480.

For Niksha: I'm working toward this but its a slow process. The next release will have a scaled to screen main-menu as well as splash, help and ending slides.
that would be great it really ruins the immersion for me.

is it possible to black out the sides if the aspect ration and resolution of talking heads/dialogue box is smaller than the game?

kohan69 said:
is it possible to black out the sides if the aspect ration and resolution of talking heads/dialogue box is smaller than the game?
That shouldn't be to much of a problem as I did something similar for the world map. I'll probably make it an option in the ini though as I personally don't mind seeing the map in the background.
My spare time is kind of tied up for the rest of the month so unless there are major problems with the current patch I'll get back into it in the new year. :)

I'm having trouble running the res patch with sfall. It says that "Fallout2.exe was expected size.." and lists some numbers. I remember running sfall the last time I used fallout 1.

What's the problem?

The Sfall is currently not available for Fallout 1 (as it only fixes some graphical glitches which are already taken care of by High res patch).

Bableves said:
The Sfall is currently not available for Fallout 1 (as it only fixes some graphical glitches which are already taken care of by High res patch).

Then how is it that some of the above posters are using both Sfall's tweaks AND the HiRes patch, for Fallout 1? Did I not do something right?

zero-saber said:
Then how is it that some of the above posters are using both Sfall's tweaks AND the HiRes patch, for Fallout 1? Did I not do something right?
There was an sfall version for Fallout 1, but it was scrapped by the creator. There should be no need to use sfall with F1 anyway, so all you should focus on is the resolution patch and teamx's unofficial patches. I haven't used the res patcher with F1 so I cannot comment, but it should install quite easily. Perhaps do a fresh install of the game, install the unofficial patch and try again? Are you also running 2.2b?

Back