Regarding Assaultrons

For my part, I don't really mind the Bethesda Mr. Handy, but wish it hadn't completely supplanted the classic Handy design.

The best would be of the classic Handy was an older, cheaper model, widely used in menial tasks and industrial activities, and also the basis of the Mr. Gutsy, whereas the Bethesda Mr. Handy is the top-of-the-line recent luxury model.

I can say this for a lot of Bethesda's designs. I understand art style shift occurs, but when the new one completely replaces the old its a bit frustrating. I wish we could see the Robobrains use shotguns again or the Eyebots with their massive taser, I wish the Yao Guai still looked reptilian with elongated arms and webbed feet instead of just a chemobear, I wish the Mirelurks still looked semi-human with humanoid legs and torso instead of an actual giant crab, same with the Lakelurk now looking like the Sahuagin over the Creature from the Black Lagoon etc.

I like some of the redesigns, but I wish it were just for variety's sake than overhauling them forever.

I feel the same way about that. I also happen to be someone who likes assaultrons, but what do you think of the sentry bot redesign from the classics to 3d

The Robocop Sentry Bots from the classics needs to make a return some day for real.

I feel the same way about that. I also happen to be someone who likes assaultrons, but what do you think of the sentry bot redesign from the classics to 3d
The Fallout 3/NV Sentry Bot is pretty awful, definitely a downgrade from the classic. Not only does it lack even the barest resemblance to the classic Sentry Bot, It just looks bad, like something some middling modder kitbashed. Really have to give credit to Fallout 4, they took that terrible design and made it into something unique, cool, and interesting. Honestly I think I like the Fallout 4 Sentry Bot better than the classic Sentry Bot.

The classic sentry bot is fine, but it's a pretty run-of-the-mill Killer Death Robot/humanoid mech robot. I think I would like the classic Sentry Bot redesigned to make it a bit more interesting, and have it exist in the same continuity (as a separate model) as the Fallout 4 Sentry Bot.

I can say this for a lot of Bethesda's designs. I understand art style shift occurs, but when the new one completely replaces the old its a bit frustrating.
There are definitely some cases where it's good, but yeah generally it's annoying.

I wish we could see the Robobrains use shotguns again or the Eyebots with their massive taser,
Definitely miss Robo Brains using shotguns. Though, truth be told, I don't really care for the Floating Eye Bot, I much prefer the Bethesda Eye Bot design, in fact I rather adore it. Don't really have a problem with replacing the old version completely, though I wouldn't mind if they coexisted in the setting.

I wish the Yao Guai still looked reptilian with elongated arms and webbed feet instead of just a chemobear, I wish the Mirelurks still looked semi-human with humanoid legs and torso instead of an actual giant crab, same with the Lakelurk now looking like the Sahuagin over the Creature from the Black Lagoon etc.
I mean in the abstract I like the idea that the creatures in the Commonwealth and the creatures in the Capital Wasteland, despite sharing a name, look radically different, because it allows us to infer that these are actually different species... and that's how it should be, the rapid radiation-and-mutagen induced speciation of Fallout shouldn't produce an identical set of creatures over the entirety of North America. The problem is, as we find in Fallout 76, this is very truly a "re-design," and not just a local variation, since creatures look identical in West Virginia and the Commonwealth.

The Robocop Sentry Bots from the classics needs to make a return some day for real.
The classic sentry bot needs to look MORE ED-209ish IMO.

I wish the Mirelurks still looked semi-human with humanoid legs and torso instead of an actual giant crab
Screenshot_20240420-190804.png

@PaxVenire to clarify my stance around Mirelurks - I think I've expressed plenty of times that I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3's Mirelurks, and I think Fallout 4's are a huge downgrade... but I don't hate them. They're a generic fantasy giant crab as opposed to a B-Movie race of menacing crab-men, but that's fine. A simple giant crab also fits in the setting in addition, it's just not as good of a mutant, but not all mutants have to be great. Similar feeling about Fallout 4's Mirelurk Hunters - they're just giant lobsters, and that's fine, but they're vastly inferior to Adamowicz's unrealized lobster-lurk concepts.

latest

I basically just dislike Fallout 4's Mirelurk Kings. Maybe I'd be OK with them as a one-off DLC creature, but I basically don't like them. The FO3 Mirelurk King maybe could have looked a little less human, but it's basically great.

Mirelurk Queen I like in scale/concept/gameplay wise. The design's not the best, not the worst.

I like Anglers and Fog Crawlers from Far Harbor quite a bit. I hate how they're both included in Fallout 76, though - I feel like Anglers should be only ocean-coastal, and Fog Crawlers should probably be exclusive to coastal Maine.

Though, truth be told, I don't really care for the Floating Eye Bot, I much prefer the Bethesda Eye Bot design, in fact I rather adore it. Don't really have a problem with replacing the old version completely, though I wouldn't mind if they coexisted in the setting.

Coexistence would be best, I also adore the Sputnik Eyebots.

I mean in the abstract I like the idea that the creatures in the Commonwealth and the creatures in the Capital Wasteland, despite sharing a name, look radically different, because it allows us to infer that these are actually different species... and that's how it should be, the rapid radiation-and-mutagen induced speciation of Fallout shouldn't produce an identical set of creatures over the entirety of North America.

In lore, sure, but the thing is when it comes to a video game the designers aren't focused on making a million different designs for different species, rather a unique looking monster that will be recognizable. The Capital Wasteland Yao Guai is all the way over in Zion National Park for example. Sure New Vegas was basically a mod, but the designers didn't care to make a new model of bear for Utah is what I'm saying. Hell, they're even called Yao Guai same as they are in the Capital Wasteland instead of just "Bear". I'm more criticizing the art style over what they may or may not imply about the larger ecosystem. The reptilian Yao Guai with white tapetum lucidum eyes look way more gnarly than just hairless bear.

The Fallout 3/NV Sentry Bot is pretty awful, definitely a downgrade from the classic. Not only does it lack even the barest resemblance to the classic Sentry Bot, It just looks bad, like something some middling modder kitbashed. Really have to give credit to Fallout 4, they took that terrible design and made it into something unique, cool, and interesting. Honestly I think I like the Fallout 4 Sentry Bot better than the classic Sentry Bot.

The classic sentry bot is fine, but it's a pretty run-of-the-mill Killer Death Robot/humanoid mech robot. I think I would like the classic Sentry Bot redesigned to make it a bit more interesting, and have it exist in the same continuity (as a separate model) as the Fallout 4 Sentry Bot.
The FO4 sentry is awesome. I was happy to get the model in FWW and to this day it remains a staple to terrify my players lol.

Fallout 4's Mirelurk Kings
While they look nothing like mirelurks I love the kings. Awesome critters in my eyes.

Pax talks about these critters so much I've begun to make memes of them.
crab_man_meme.png

Similar feeling about Fallout 4's Mirelurk Hunters - they're just giant lobsters, and that's fine, but they're vastly inferior to Adamowicz's unrealized lobster-lurk concepts.

Man, if Adam's art style had at least survived Bethesda's descent into schlock with Fallout, I'd at least have something worth holding onto with all these new entries that stray further from Fallout's look and feel. Truly a genius artist, and quite possibly the last thread of Bethesda trying with the series to maintain the original feel of the IP.

I like Anglers and Fog Crawlers from Far Harbor quite a bit. I hate how they're both included in Fallout 76, though - I feel like Anglers should be only ocean-coastal, and Fog Crawlers should probably be exclusive to coastal Maine.

I still haven't played Far Harbor, I probably should. But Angler Fish are my favorite aquatic animal in general, so I love the angler regardless. I remember in Fallout 76 an Angler getting into a fight with a Deathclaw in front of the Enclave cave, it was rad.

Pax talks about these critters so much I've begun to make memes of them.

I'm right. :smug:

The FO4 sentry is awesome. I was happy to get the model in FWW and to this day it remains a staple to terrify my players lol.

While they look nothing like mirelurks I love the kings. Awesome critters in my eyes.

Pax talks about these critters so much I've begun to make memes of them.View attachment 28587
The Fallout 4 Kings look too animalistic IMO, as opposed to Fallout 3's "Turtle-Man" version of Kings.

Compare Fallout 4's -

EncMirelurkKing01.png

With Fallout 3's -

Mirelurk_king.png

Fallout 3's looks infinitely more like the fish-man on that magazine.

I still haven't played Far Harbor, I probably should.
You should! It's good!

I wish the Mirelurks still looked semi-human with humanoid legs and torso instead of an actual giant crab,
the mirelurk redesign is especially annoying because the mirelurk was one of the very few creature contributions bethesda made to the series that wasnt just [ANIMAL BUT BIG] and also the new design is just straight up the garthim from the dark crystal

Back