Requesting an option to kill the console

Panpiper

First time out of the vault
I am very enthused by the mods people have released and are working on for future release. I look forward to actually being able to play Fallout 3 as opposed to some other game that simply goes by the name. I have however a problem.

I find it very hard to avoid the temptation to use the console to cheat. I would much rather avoid cheating all together but when I am stuck, I sometimes cannot resist.

Is it possible to create something that disables the console and makes it impossible to retroactively undo without starting a new game? This would make it so that having used the hypothetical console killer and started a new game, it would be forever impossible to open the console in any save game thereafter, unless one starts a new game without the console killer. It most emphatically must NOT simply be an ESP that can be removed to re-enable the console.

Dubby said:
turn it off in the ini
If I turn it off in the INI, can I not just turn it back on later if I feel the need to cheat? What I am looking for is something that will NOT allow me to turn it back on without starting a new game.

Panpiper said:
Dubby said:
turn it off in the ini
If I turn it off in the INI, can I not just turn it back on later if I feel the need to cheat? What I am looking for is something that will NOT allow me to turn it back on without starting a new game.
If you lack self control that much you should probably just do yourself a favor and uninstall the game.

Panpiper said:
Thanks for the really helpful comment Dragula.

Dweeb.
No but seriously, if you turn it off in the ini, and still feel an urge to turn it back on and cheat, you suck.

Dubby said:
buy the console version if you lack that much self control
Fallout 3 on console, and therefor without mods, is not Fallout. It is a pale imitation masquerading under the name. I have absolutely no interest in playing native Fallout. If Fallout only ever existed on console, I never would have bought it.

What is so unreasonable about not wanting a cheat button that amounts to 'click here for god mode'?

Edit the INI, then make it read-only - at least that will add a little barrier double-check thing next time you automatically decide to undo the change.

Also you can mess with its permissions and only allow READ for everyone.

What shihonage said with permissions, then play it from a non-admin account or change your account level to below admin.

But by his logic, then he'll just go change THAT back all so he can cheat.

It's really a rather dense question to ask for a mod or some kind of fix like that anyway, since anything that's custom for the game would automatically mean that it could be undone anyway.

The Wandering Milkman said:

By my logic he is making fun of you people...i would write more but i dont want to get ban... :)

gregor_y said:
The Wandering Milkman said:

By my logic he is making fun of you people...i would write more but i dont want to get ban... :)

Oh, I'm aware of that, myself. That first remark wasn't as nearly laced with cynicism as I would've liked it to be, but I was resisting the urge to blurt out 'lol troll'.

Hobo In A Box said:
Claw your fingers at your screen where the console is until it's nothing but dead pixels.

If his monitor dies...then do to his weekness he cant self restraint he will become one of these junkie,alkocholic or he will masturbate until his eyes pop out just like avatar of The Wandering Milkman...

Dragula said:
Panpiper said:
Dubby said:
turn it off in the ini
If you lack self control that much you should probably just do yourself a favor and uninstall the game.

But then he will be tempted to reinstall the game and cheat!

Back