RIP 3DFX

Briosafreak

Lived Through the Heat Death
3dfx was sold to nvidia, and it`s going to be closed. Well, they did had worse technology than nvidia, but for someone that had 3 boards from them and found out what 3d is with them (glquake,quake2...) it`s a bit sad, really. Less competition is not good news either, but today i just feel a bit nostalgic :-(

"shichisho hokoku"

Oh well, I'd take a Geforce 2 over a Voodoo 5 any day of the week. It's kinda cute that in the end, 3dfx, once the world's premier video card developer, was bought out by the competition. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Good Riddance.

>3dfx was sold to nvidia, and
>it`s going to be closed.
>Well, they did had worse
>technology than nvidia, but for
>someone that had 3 boards
>from them and found out
>what 3d is with them
>(glquake,quake2...) it`s a bit sad,
>really. Less competition is not
>good news either, but today
>i just feel a bit
>nostalgic :-(

Don't feel so sorry for 3DFx, they dug their own grave. For one, they would not license the Glide API to any other chip manufacture which made their API, though programmers loved using it, not the API of choice since only 3DFx cards would support it. OpenGL took over Glide's spot.

Second, 3DFx, while their cards were very good, were WAY overpriced compared to the competition. Their cards would range in the $300's when most people, except the avid gamer, will only buy cards in the $100-$200 range.

Third, GeForce is infinitely superior to 3DFx. They are the *de facto* cards around, and while they charge an arm and a leg for the best cards they offer, their cheaper cards still kick ass and are pretty cheap.

I don't rue the day a company who was stupid gets bought out. The markets decide who are the winners and the losers.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

RE: Good Riddance.

>Third, GeForce is infinitely superior to
>3DFx. They are the
>*de facto* cards around, and
>while they charge an arm
>and a leg for the
>best cards they offer, their
>cheaper cards still kick ass
>and are pretty cheap.
Umm, i think ATI still can keep up the fight with their new Radeon. My choice will be Radeon over GeForce, however all time ATI's problem is their drivers, they just cant get them to work correct ;-)
Marcha

>Oh well, I'd take a Geforce
>2 over a Voodoo 5
>any day of the week.
>It's kinda cute that in
>the end, 3dfx, once the
>world's premier video card developer,
>was bought out by the
>competition. Oh how the mighty
>have fallen.

Are you one cynical bastard.

3dfx boards were always reliable, but pricey. And since banshee they were always one step behind, but still it`s like a departed family member, he could have been a drunk and smelled awfully but it was family and in this times you tend to remember the best about him, i guess.
Well, enough with the nostalgia, what board should i buy in three months time (since i already have the 650mhz machine to play tactics, it`s not urgent, so i have three months at least to say farwell to my voodoo3...) ?

"shichisho hokoku"

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-00 AT 06:42PM (GMT)[p]Yes I am a cynical bastard, thank you very much. If the fact that 3dfx went down bothers you, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that in the business world, if a company can't cut it, it's going down.

>>Third, GeForce is infinitely superior to
>>3DFx. They are the
>>*de facto* cards around, and
>>while they charge an arm
>>and a leg for the
>>best cards they offer, their
>>cheaper cards still kick ass
>>and are pretty cheap.
>Umm, i think ATI still can
>keep up the fight with
>their new Radeon. My choice
>will be Radeon over GeForce,
>however all time ATI's problem
>is their drivers, they just
>cant get them to work
>correct ;-)

The Radeon can't hold a candle to the GeForce2 GTS. In every category the GeForce2 GTS dominates the Radeon, usually by a long margin, sometimes even twice as much in terms of framerates. Even the GeForce MX which sells for about $100 owns the Radeon DDR (w/64megs RAM) in some categories and the Radeon DDR sells for about $350.

I also really hate ATI's driver support. They make some of the *worst* drivers for their cards. They're unstable, they freeze my system, ugh. The drivers are my reason that I will never buy an ATI card again.

For the benchmark comparisons I am citing, go to: http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q4/001019/index.html

The GeForce2 costs anywhere from $250 to $450 and the Radeon costs about $250-$350 (DDR).

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

>Yes I am a cynical bastard,
>thank you very much. If
>the fact that 3dfx went
>down bothers you, you're just
>going to have to deal
>with the fact that in
>the business world, if a
>company can't cut it, it's
>going down.

Capitalism in its perfect form.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

RE: I see

So there aren`t many believers in matrox g800, powervr3 and ati with directx 8?

"shichisho hokoku"

Back