S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat released in the US today

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is hitting stores in the US today, according to this press release.<blockquote>S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Hits Stores Today!

New York, NY February 2nd, 2010 – Today ushers in a new day for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise with the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. The game, published by Viva Media and bitComposer Games, hits stores today, February 2nd, 2010. CEO Carlo Voelker commented, “The ‘Call of Pripyat’ is the third installment in the highly acclaimed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. With its dedicated and loyal fanbase, we anticipate a strong launch.”

Players will live the life of undercover agent Major Degtyarev, an experienced stalker, as he eats, drinks, and sleeps in the Zone. Call of Pripyat is non-linear game play at its best, as the player seeks allies and makes enemies in the treacherous and fragile balance between rival factions, bandits, and mercenaries.

Where most first person shooters rely on relentless action to engage their players, Call of Pripyat goes in an entirely different direction, allowing for long moments of silence amidst a desolate landscape and an ever changing vista. The environment is dynamic: day and night alternate and are filled with thunderstorms and sunshine, and the game's artificial intelligence interacts with itself beyond the peripheral of the player. The game truly takes on a life of its own.

Game Details:
• Photorealistic graphics depicting the Zone, a contaminated area neighboring the Chernobyl disaster site.
• New story, a number of unique characters.
• Over 70 custom missions and extended side quests
• New monsters: Chimera and Burer.
• New A-Life system, created using the players’ best-liked elements of the first two games in series.
• Sleep function added into the game.
• New player’s interface.
• Possibility to continue the game after completion in freeplay mode.
• The game is developed on X-Ray engine v.1.6
• Supports DirectX 11.0
•S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call of Pripyat Collector’s Edition includes an area map, tech-tree poster, and stickers!

Platform: Win PC
Price: $39.99
Genre: Shooter/RPG
Release Date: February 2nd, 2010
Minimum System Requirements: Windows XP/SP 2, Intel Pentium 4.22 GHz/AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 768 MB RAM/6GB free hard drive space, nVidia GeForce 5900/ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB VRAM, DirectX 9.0 compatible</blockquote>

Fifth of this month I believe for the UK release.

There isn't a single store in my area that carries this game. Sad, I was really looking forward to picking this up today.

cool, this looks really interesting. I just realized I forgot about Clear Sky real quick, but I loved the first game and am really fond of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. I guess I should give Clear Sky another chance too, can't even remember why I didn't finish it.

I had to order this from Amazon since Gamestop didn't carry it.

At least they didn't until like yesterday.

That confuses me, since they're the ones who should really be on the up-and-up.

"Minimum System Requirements: Windows XP/SP 2, Intel Pentium 4.22 GHz/AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 768 MB RAM/6GB free hard drive space, nVidia GeForce 5900/ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB VRAM, DirectX 9.0 compatible"

OMGOSH! 4.22 ghz intel chips ftw!

Or it is a typo and means the normal pentium 4, 22 ghz chips that run at 1800 watts. Either way, it's a well edited press release.

aenemic said:
I guess I should give Clear Sky another chance too, can't even remember why I didn't finish it.

I also couldn't get through Clear Sky, and played it's predecessor endlessly (still do, with the Oblivion Lost mod.)

Recently I decided to give Clear Sky a second shot, except this time I put some mods on it. Specifically ones to enhance the mood and atmosphere (significantly increased difficulty, changes to weapons, and replacing all dialogue with that of the Russian version).

Thoroughly enjoying it this time, I recommend you find a good game-altering mod and try again, because unfortunately Clear Sky is the desperately-in-need-of-mod-community-love 'Oblivion' or 'Fallout 3' of the STALKER franchise.

And maybe there are some references to it in the new game. Picking up on small things like that always makes the experience more enjoyable :)

el_jefe_of_ny said:
Or it is a typo and means the normal pentium 4, 22 ghz chips that run at 1800 watts. Either way, it's a well edited press release.
From the GSC Game World website for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat:
Minimum System Requirements
* Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz / AMD XP 2200+
* 512 MB RAM
* 128 MB DirectX® 8.0 compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 5700 / ATI Radeon™ 9600

Recommended System Requirements
* Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 / AMD 64 X2 5600+
* 2 GB RAM
* 512 MB DirectX® 9.0c compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon™ HD 4850

Increased performance will be noticed on more powerful systems.

We recommend ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series (or better) video cards to enable DirectX® 11 and ATI Eyefinity technology for maximum performance and visual quality.

Mods are the way to go, like Otsego, I really enjoyed the original and Clear Sky after modding both out, game was very enjoyable after that. I think I will give the game a month or two before I buy, hopefully the mod community will polish it up by then. Great to see the franchise continue though.

This game is really good, except some bugs and fact what my P4 processor can`t take it.. :roll: Sometimes my fps becomes insanely low, especially in rain and in complex buildings... I guess my GF9600 GT means nothing, since my motherboard and processor are crappy.

Anyway it`s a bit annoying what you have to play this game with only 2 active artifacts for too long time... (edit: sorry, only one active artifact, since one slot is always reserved for Jellyfish/wrenched/Bubble, what removes radiation from other artifact.) But that "A Life" really is at least worth mentioning, i didn`t expect it to be this good. But when i got to Jupiter for first time, there was bug and monsters spawned inside safe house, lol.

pRopaaNS said:
This game is really good, except some bugs and fact what my P4 processor can`t take it.. :roll: Sometimes my fps becomes insanely low, especially in rain and in complex buildings...

Uh oh, that doesn't bode well for my machine then :P it's bordering on 5 years old now, though I've since upgraded the graphics card. Oh well, it's not like I played the other two games on bust either (especially Clear Sky, those sun ray effects are just brutal on the hardware).

That's one grudge I got against the game... it doesn't look or feel (mechanics-wise) like it should be as strenuous on hardware as it really is. What's up with that?!

Well, it's doing a lot of calculations. Although it doesn't have advanced physics like crysis, with a bazillion particles flying around, it has a whole alife system to run.

And yeah, it's brutal on the hardware. It's not very optimized, however you need to take into account the huge amount of textures and detailed models.

Also, be thankful you're not running it in 3d/stereo mode. You'd need to install the game on some hypothetical matrix-like hypercomputer of the far future for it to run at a playable frame-rate.

Both games were pretty dang good vanilla, but only after extensive patching to fix all the bugs. I really want to get this and play but I suspect it will probably be bug ridden for months to come like the first 2 were.

Anyway it`s a bit annoying what you have to play this game with only 2 active artifacts for too long time... (edit: sorry, only one active artifact, since one slot is always reserved for Jellyfish/wrenched/Bubble, what removes radiation from other artifact.) But that "A Life" really is at least worth mentioning, i didn`t expect it to be this good. But when i got to Jupiter for first time, there was bug and monsters spawned inside safe house, lol.

You can upgrade your suit to have more slots, although I think I only ever had 3 or 4. I went with less bleeding and more healing :P *(and a rad away to balance their penalties)

But it`s quite crappy what you have to get those tools in prypiat if you want more artifact slots. THat one bonus slot for seva suit doesn`t counts, since you can`t effectively enough use it, because of radiation penality. Well, at last i got my seva fully upgraded! :)
I choose option with 4 slots, but +10kg max eq.
I have almost all best artifects x2, i just need to find one more Goldfish and meat chunk and i won`t need anything anymore.. :)

otsego said:
Fifth of this month I believe for the UK release.

There isn't a single store in my area that carries this game. Sad, I was really looking forward to picking this up today.

i'm in the same boat. it's not even on steam. :(

also, if you're losing frames can't you just turn all the effects off? i mean, it's still the same stalker engine. i played the first game with a pc that pretty much matched the minimum requirements and it played fine. loaded slow as hell, but played fine.

So what do they have to show for the months of localization? Does the Western release come with extra content or more bug fixes? Or should I expect a flawless translation that is beyond reproach?

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
is there not a static lighting mode like the first 2 games?

Yes, there is.

el_jefe_of_ny said:
We recommend ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series (or better) video cards to enable DirectX® 11 and ATI Eyefinity technology for maximum performance and visual quality.

Oh yeah! My 5850 will do just fine I guess :)

I'm also looking forward to this game, currently I'm replaying shadow of chernobyl. I didn't play clear sky for some odd reason (might have something to do with my old rig beeing 6 year old) but I think I'll buy it and give it a try now that I've got a new rig :)

I really liked the first STALKER.

Clear Sky...what a POS. Even after modding the game was still a POS.

I hope Pripyat takes nothing from Clear Sky.

Back