Screen Rant's "Every Fallout Game, Ranked Worst To Best" Article

Risewild

Antediluvian as Feck
Modder
Orderite
Screen Rant's posted an article a few days ago ranking all Fallout games (not really, it's missing Tactics, PoS and Shelter).

It ranks Fallout 1 and 2 as the worst Fallout games, also says that "Fallout: New Vegas is hailed as one of the greatest Fallout games, and rightfully so.". It ranks New Vegas as 3rd, below Fallout 3 (2nd place) and Fallout 4 as the winner.

Full ranking:
In 5th place (worst): Fallout 1 and 2
In 4th place: Fallout 76
In 3rd place: Fallout New Vegas
In 2nd place: Fallout 3
In 1st place (best): Fallout 4

Here's the link to this article:
https://screenrant.com/fallout-worst-best-games-ranked/
https://screenrant.com/fallout-worst-best-games-ranked/
What are your opinions about this ranking? Do you think this is what modern Fallout players think? Do you think this is just an article from someone that doesn't really like cRPGs and prefer action/shooters? Is this click-bait? Is the author just trying to be controversial?
What do you think?

Check out my (just updated) thread "What others think about the Fallout games". For real Fallout games' ranks from real players.

"Only play the first 2 Fallout games for the Luhr", god I've come to hate Lore as a concept. It's not "Themes" or "Tone" or "Worldbuilding" or any complex nuanced discussion of narrative, it's just some big slop of infodumps that people can chow down on.

Same with Canon, it's such a useless term. The fact that media consoomers literally view the infodumps they get from games using the same language that the Catholic Church uses. Like there's some sanctity to having as much established backstory as possible.

The whole reason you discuss games Lore is to get a greater insight in to what the narrative is trying to convey. You learn about Vault City because it's interesting thematically and how it functions feeds in to that, but too many people have this wiki editor approach where everything has to be laid out in factual format so they can learn it and add it to their slop with no greater analysis.

You don't play 1 and 2 for the Lore, you play them because they have some of the most brilliant worldbuilding in the franchise and consistently good and interesting quests, the most reactive worlds, and an excellent sense of how to perfectly tie together the writing and the design of the world in a way that often quests will feel like a meaningful look in to how the varying societies operates by virtue of how their designed.

If this person had literally even done the most baseline analysis of what they think the themes and design ethos of the first 2 games were, they would have ranked them much higher. Instead they're just sitting around like "Gameplay not shooty shoot, don't like sprite graphics. The only reason I'm soldiering through this is to get a better understanding of that sweet sweet luhr, that sweet infodumps that I'm going to add to my little head wiki."

It's extremely transparent that is a clickbait article. And if it's not, it's a poorly written mess that does an extremely piss poor job talking about the good and bad of each game, and gives extremely poor reasoning for their placement.

Seriously, the only thing they talk about for Fallout 1 and 2 is "wah wah turn based combat bad" and "you play it for the lore only", the latter being retarded because people them for much more than that. Let's ignore writing quality, sidequests, rpg systems, and many other things, and whine like a dumbass about turn based combat.

I mean, honestly this is clearly someone who has different expectations of games tbh. Like, it's a sloppily written obvious clickbait article, I also stand by the luhr comments, but overall the general logic: Fallout 4 has better gunplay and base building mechanics, well if that's what you're looking for there's nothing I can really say.

The Codex made a thread on Thursday and already made a pretty funny joke based on a line from this article.

Fallout 4 is by far the most polished game in the series

566a013edd089570458b4683

Just to be clear since it seems like no one has pointed it out yet - this is a clickbait article that is literally just based around sales numbers, the order of Fallout games ithe order of sales. Had 76 sold better, it'd be at the top of this list. Which is silly, but this isn't some really well thought out piece of criticism, its just a shitty listicle based around an "objective" metric.

I refuse to believe this is a real list. It has to have been made as bait of some sort. Who in their right mind would say Fallout 4 is the best fallout game and the originals are the worst.

I refuse to believe this is a real list. It has to have been made as bait of some sort. Who in their right mind would say Fallout 4 is the best fallout game and the originals are the worst.
A lot of people, sadly.

We're not the audience anymore.

Replaying Fallout 3, and eventually planning to finally slog through Fallout 76. Fallout 3 is just as nostalgic as ever, damn I missed it, makes me go back to when I played that and FNV 24/7 in Middle School. :dance:

Most people tbh, at least most casual gamers I think, and I don't blame em. Fallout 4 is an extremely easy game to get into, and the shooting mechanics are pretty good. Very stylized and easy to get into and gameplay with little to no depth is and has been the commercial norm for awhile.

To be fair though, I did really enjoy the building mechanics, so that likely plays a part given the context of when it released.

fallout 1 and 2 share the same spot, he likely played it for less than a hour and gave up. He is even forgetting tactics, brotherhood of steel and the mobile game. This artical has to be bait or some sort of satire.

fallout 1 and 2 share the same spot, he likely played it for less than a hour and gave up. He is even forgetting tactics, brotherhood of steel and the mobile game. This artical has to be bait or some sort of satire.
It's ScreenRant, I don't think they're too big on CRPGs, so I take this in full sincerity.

>obvious clickbait
>by some zoomer website that is either bribed to shit or steeped deep in modern "gaming journalism" bullshit
Yeah im not going to lose my sleep because of that. Anyone who places F76 above F1/2 or 3 above NV is obviously either mentally retarded to the point he shouldnt be considered human anymore or is simply trolling and fishing for clicks. No point in humoring them.

Back