Several FEV Related Questions

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by PipBoyofSteel15, Nov 26, 2016.

1. PipBoyofSteel15

PipBoyofSteel15 First time out of the vault

Dec 28, 2015
    Hey guys, I'm currently writing up a video that deals with a large portion of the lore surrounding FEV, and I needed some clarification. I've gone through both Fallout 1 and 2 as thoroughly as I possibly could in my free-time, and I've skimmed both the Wiki and Chris A.'s Fallout Bible for a clear answer, and there doesn't seem to be one. I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I have a few questions circling about in my mind but this is the one that's always been confusing to me.

Did FEV *always* have sterilization effects? From Zax and Vree, one can just assume 'yes', but one of the dialogue options when discussing FEV with the Master is "Maybe it didn't sterilize people once, but it does now." Also, according to Chris Avellone's "FEV is the cause of everything" theory, it was the FEV Tanks that broke open at West Tek after it was directly hit with a nuke that spread into the atmosphere and caused most of the mutations, so wouldn't that mean everything would have to be sterile?

Thanks everyone :D

2. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Er.. Is that a hole you guys? There really doesn't seem to be a clear answer to this guys question.

I think when the FEV tanks were cracked that this wasn't the masters refined FEV so it didn't make things sterile... Yet. Maybe?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. PipBoyofSteel15

Dec 28, 2015
    Could be. From Fallout 1 to 2 we know of 3 versions of FEV
    The FEV from West-Tek that spreads into the atmosphere, supposedly causing the extreme mutations of wasteland creatures and ghouls
    The FEV from Mariposa that is referenced by the master as "FEV-2" (Don't know if that means anything or not)
    The Morphed FEV created by the enclave to kill anyone that is not inoculated.

4. PipBoyofSteel15

Dec 28, 2015
    Moreover, is the FEV susceptible to changes from radiation? Zax 1.2 in West Tek says no, but most sources that I look at say yes

5. Prone Squanderer

Prone Squanderer A bit of a Sillius Soddus.

Jan 3, 2016
    Alrighty, I'll try and help. :)

I wouldn't look into what the Vault Dweller says too closely, it's likely they just said that as part of trying to convince the Master. The "maybe" bit shows the Vault Dweller doesn't know the full history behind FEV, at least that's how I interpret it.

But if that was the case, nothing would be able to breed.

Wanamingos and Deathclaws are able to reproduce despite being originally created with FEV.

I've stumbled upon this on the Wiki, but I don't know how useful it is.

Christ FEV is a complicated topic ain't it? I think if you were to search more thoroughly you can find more topics discussing it. I do recall reading something about how FEV couldn't be airborne but I cannot remember where it was I'm afraid.

I've probably caused more confusion than helped, but you're welcome :)

EDIT: Just want to add this because it's interesting.

6. Jogre

Jogre So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 25, 2015
    My guess would be "It's complicated"

In Supermutants and Ghouls it definetely causes sterility, whereas with less mutated humans(Your average wastelander) it doesn't seem to be the case.

Then you've got Deathclaws and Wannamingos which can breed, same with Mole Rats and Pig Rats.

Perhaps it's a specific trait to humans, and requires a heavy amount of exposure.

7. PipBoyofSteel15

Dec 28, 2015
    I played a quick playthrough of Fallout 1 last night, just so I could discuss this topic with a few NPCs, particularly, the Master's Lieutenant
    He mentions how the FEV that was vaporized and shot up into the atmosphere after the nuke hit West Tek 'inoculated' people, kind of like how getting inoculated against the Flu doesn't give you the symptoms of the flu. Here, maybe getting inoculated against FEV doesn't necessarily sterilize you. So depending on how far that air-FEV went, which in 80 years, could possibly be all over North America in low concentrations, most wastelanders could be inoculated against FEV, meaning that if they were dipped into the VATS they wouldn't get all of the benefits like the increased intelligence or super strength, depending on how irradiated the person is.

Like Prone Squanderer said, FEV is pretty damn complicated XD
    I guess it was a bit foolish of me to expect some easy answer lol. Thanks for helping guys :D

8. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    This holodisk confirms that some species can still breed despite being mutated by FEV.
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/FEV_experiment_disk

Beside, some super-mutants like the lieutenant, Attis or the Fallout Tactics super-mutants scientist, do believe it is possible to work around the sterility issue through scientific experiments. They don't kill themselves like Richard.