Sierra's "Prototype"

Maphusio

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
I just picked up a PS3 and was doing some research on upcoming video games when I stumbled across this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OWa2pxeuQ8&feature=channel[/youtube]

Their website has a counter, 10 days!?
http://www.prototypegame.com/splash/

I'm actually intrigued, it has some uniqueness to it.

I dunno, I have doubts. Looks like it's just GTA/Mercenaries with a God of War type battle mechanic. I could be wrong, but I'll wait until some clear gameplay footage is released or better yet some decent reviews.

Hmm, i hope theres more than god of war like hacknslash there, i like the overall style and intensity though. If the gameplay keeps somewhat high speed/quick combats and the player isnt some non stoppable godlike regenerating badass muthafucka all the time this might just be something intresting.

Looks like crackdown, and crackdown was motherfucking cool. ( If a little boring once finished). I'll probably buy it.

Any idea if it will come out for PC? I've been following it for a while and it looks like it will hit that "good hulk game" craving with some ultra violence added for good measure.

lugaru said:
Any idea if it will come out for PC? I've been following it for a while and it looks like it will hit that "good hulk game" craving with some ultra violence added for good measure.
I can see you enjoy your spot of the old Ultra-Violence? ;) I'm sure it will probably come out for PC same time as consoles, if it doesn't I wouldn't hold my breath.

Looks like it has some potential to be awesome but I'm skeptical. Most games with super powers turn out pretty poorly or, at best, average.

I have to say that it's probably one game I'm excited about the most right now. The dude is badass and pissed off, a perfect combination.

gah why did you guys have to remind me how much I want to play this!

And for those of you asking when this is released....

SANTA MONICA, Calif., April 8, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- No conspiracy here...we promise... Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) confirmed today that the long-awaited open-world action thriller video game PROTOTYPE will ship in European territories on June 5 and to North American retailers on June 9, arriving in stores shortly thereafter. Fans of the infamous Alex Mercer should also be sure to check out the newly updated official game web site located at www.prototypegame.com to gain access and view newly added game information and content, including the first half of PROTOTYPE's must-see intro cinematic.

I'll be in my bunk.

so, it's been out for a while and seems fun enough. but is it worth enough to plunk down the money for it? or should i give it time for it to go down (i've got time and i figure it'll go down after the summer).

I'll just quote myself from the 'what are you playing now' thread:

Sander said:
I've been playing Prototype, and having a blast. It's basically just an excuse to give the player a ridiculously overpowered character to explore and destroy Manhattan.
Tons of fun.
Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Prototype. It's my first modern 'open ended action' game, as I've never played Crackdown or Infamous. So far the experience has been a mixed bag.

The game starts off with you having every single power available, which is amazing. Almost as soon as you get all of this awesome shit handed to you, it's taken away in a max payne style opening (THIS IS REALLY THE END OF THE GAME NOW LETS GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING, SHALL WE?).

Being dumped back into the world with nothing but the most rudimentary attacks is quite sad, as the fighting is rather bland after having the crazy combos and "destroy everything on screen with a flourish of tentacles" moves removed.
You only get to play in the 'this is what you'll get to do later' environment for a couple of minutes anyway, so it's not that bad. It also gives you a better incentive to earn EPs and upgrade your character.

Phil said:
The controls seem to have a mind of their own sometimes, and moving alex in the direction you want him to go in the very crowded fighting scenes becomes very frustrating after you've been juggled to death for the fifth time.
Use air recovery/dash/sprint more. If you get stuck between 3 hunters (the most common 'juggling' event I think), you can jump/dash your way out of there and back to safety pretty easily.

Phil said:
The buggy camera only compounds the control issues, since it likes to get stuck in this SUPER-low sensitivity mode, where you can't even turn to see where you're going (rapidly jumping on/off walls can fix this).
I have not had this at all.

Phil said:
Contrary to what the reviews all seem to be saying, the graphics are quite good. It also runs surprisingly well considering the absolutely MASSIVE amount of npcs, vehicles and explosions that are on screen constantly.
The graphics are crappy for a high-end modern game. They're on par with, say, GTA: San Andreas. Not that this is bothersome, the game runs super smooth (I have had 0 slowdowns anywhere), load times are fast, and you don't really notice that the graphics aren't great. The only annoying thing is the rather rampant pop-in of detailed objects (swivel the camera a bit fast and you see airco units and the like spawning on top of buildings).

As for the rest of the game, I have only one complaint: the plot is filled with MASSIVE FUCKING PLOTHOLES. They do a great job of setting the right atmosphere (think 28 Days Later), constant small movies you can 'collect' by exploring the "Web of Intrigue", which means basically absorbing any characters you stumble across that are marked as 'HEY INFO HERE', which then lead to more characters that are marked that way etc etc etc Great way to get the player to explore some of the backstory for himself without relying solely on the main quest line.

But if your brain is half turned-on, a ton of stuff just doesn't make any sense. Biggest plot annoyance so far:
[spoiler:9fcb617d09]
Mr. Badass Commando tracks you down to inject you with instant-kill-the-virus stuff (which actually seems to not work anyway), he sadistically goes "I've been looking forward to this" before violently trying to pummel you to death, even though he previously expressed the idea to his commander that you are still a sentient human, and he'd been working with your girlfriend who could've injected you with the stuff peacefully, without a problem without any need for any kind of risky face-to-face confrontation.[/spoiler:9fcb617d09]

Cliffnotes: massive destruction fun, good atmosphere, plotholes, mediocre graphics. It's also somewhat repetitive, but still good fun.

I really want to check out prototype but I'm broke, well, not broke but I've got a few things I need to do before I can start spending money on games. Maybe next month after my vacation I can pick up a copy.

Sander said:
Cliffnotes: massive destruction fun, good atmosphere, plotholes, mediocre graphics. It's also somewhat repetitive, but still good fun.

It's cliffsnotes. :wink:

It looks pretty interesting and I don't mind the graphics as long as the art style is good and the fps rate keeps up.
The problem is it's all brown with generic soldiers and the generic anti hero with his generic voice and generic clothing.

I do like the big battles though, looks like fun to join one while pretending to be a soldier.

Alphadrop said:
I do like the big battles though, looks like fun to join one while pretending to be a soldier.

Or slaughtering the civilians on the street and throwing cars around while pretending to be an old lady. That's fun too.

Back