Small Guns? Big Guns? Lasers? Plasma... spare me

Ninjerk said:
Ausdoerrt said:
it's more realistic

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa... whoa... anomalies? relics that protect you from them? whoa

Most anomalies have a "scientific" (sci-fi-ish) explanation to them, because they are being researched as "natural paradoxes". Most of them have to do with disturbed gravitation field and bending space. Thus, many relics also make sense since they are produced by the anomalies: for example the gravitational would slow down bullets thus giving you more bulletproof cap. I have not gotten through the whole game yet, but that's the explanation from the original book the game's based on.

Although when I said "realistic" I meant the atmosphere, the setting, character physics and damage feedback for enemies (they actually scream too) etc. Last but not least, some famous locations in-game were modelled upon their real counterparts down to small details.

Well, g2 agree here...

Stalker (with some mods) > FOO

...maybe FOO mods will change this :>

Stalker is great ( but with its share of flaws as well). Best game Iv played in 2007. The atmosphere is amazing and the shooter part is excellent.
It even has some fallout spirit with the radiation, mutated beasts and the hostile ukrainian wasteland

Erny said:
It even has some fallout spirit with the radiation, mutated beasts and the hostile ukrainian wasteland

Yes, but slightly different because it's not the "end of the world" per se, and it's retrofturistic in the spirit of late 80s. But I see what you're getting at. I also think radiation has been done much better in Stalker than FOO, except that it leaves the system a tad too quickly.

Well, lets just compare weapon systems in FOO and in Stalker clear sky ...
In Stalker u can upgrade Youre weapon with number of items like silencer, scope, granada lunchers etc. plus u can upgrade their range , damage , accuracy etc. upgrading their parts (everything in there is rly technical, basicly player is able 2 actually know whats inside his gun ...AND u need to repair them

In FOO ? repair them ... yay fps/rpg game of the year

Well actually the upgrade system in Clear Sky is FAR from perfect and broken in many ways. But at last you CAN shoot stuff or learn to shoot stuff after some practice. Some people Prefer SVD, some are fond of Scoped Abakan. Some like the AK47 coz it wont break after shooting 5 clips. You HAVE choice.

In FO3 you DONT have to choose. You have VATS, you have bestweapons(by all means best) and you can safely IGNORE everything else.

Also i should mention one funny thing. You say FO3 is an RPG? Hell no. Its damn shooter. Skills you say? Lets count:
13 skills. 100 points each. 1300 points.
Skill Bobbleheads - minus 10 fro each skill - 130 points
Stats + Stat Bobbleheads - 20 per skill(at least) - 260 points
Books - 25 of each skill with educated - 50 SP for each - 650 points
Skills from leveling - 23/level(maximum) - 460 points
Thats not mentionin perks that increase skills and closes.

In the end we have... TADA - 1500 points. While you need 1300...
RPG is about choosing between A and B. You dont have to choose here. Really you can top EVERY skill in the freaking game. Yes it will take some time. But in the end you are another munchkin ass. Thats what that game encourages. You can see it all in ONE playthrough. Fun? Naaah... But you already payed!

The BIGGEST difference between FO1/2 and FO3 for me - you cant finish FO w/o shooting. You could legitimately finish FO2 in 5 minutes using only speech and outdoorsman iirc. You had choice. Now combat is mandatory. Why? Coz peoplewho buy consoles want fun for their spine, not their brain. I dont blame em. I have rather demanding spine also. But i havent seen SINGLE console game that would FORCE me to think.

And btw. Even Fallout Tactics had home good ol' FO spirit in it that FO3.

/cheers

P.S.: i heard Disgaea is a total brain-killing machine. So i'll skip Xbox and buy DS instead :)

^ Well, haven't played CS just SoC, but the basic scope /silencer/GL system seems to work out well, making weapons quite customizable, in addition to the multitude available in-game. Most of the top-class weapons are conscious choices, and often you have to choose depending on the situation. There's also the weight limit: two primary guns and a side-gun +armor pretty much top your carrying ability...

In FO you get to magically combine items to reduce weight while increasing the cost, and you get to feel that choice of weapon is largely irrelevant.

As for skill and stat-boosting armors, it's, like someone on NMA said before, a carryover from Oblivion and other fantasy games: "leather armour of agility", "sword +1" etc etc.

SoC(modded, with ability to repair armor/weapons) is way better in terms of weapon management and atmosphere.

If i'll wanna see armor of agility i'll play FO1/2. It will be Power Armor of Strength tho :)

Buy the way. Another bad thing about FO3: Power Armor. In FO1/2 is was pinnacle of technology. Something so good you could not skip it. And it had LORE behind it. Now its just another piece of random equipment. And pretty crappy also. Ranger Armor beats it anyday.

*sigh, the power armor concept in fallout 1 and 2 is not akin to magically enchanted armor, hell some researchers at top universities are doing government projects to make massive strength boosting exoskeletons for...the military, that's the thing all of the weapons in fallout 1 or 2 aside from the camp value in many of the designs felt like a neat weapon or semi plausible. Sure I'm not that believing in a gauss rifle but i want one.

^ Yeah, I agree on the exoskeleton. Heck, even Stalker has one.

However, clothes that enchance you AGI? PER? END? etc etc..

But you SHOULD believe in gauss rifle. Its just a bullet in highly inductive coat propelled by em field. Got a friend who had developed an em cannon for an uni project (with a team o'coz, he was part of it). It threw 5 kg metal slug for 2 km's. Took helluvalot of energy, but it IS possible. The problem is the small enough source of energy - nothing else.

Btw, cheers from Russia

I just cant belive it how badly Bethsada messd my favorite weapon from Fo's ,the mighty minigun :< I just finally made totall big guns char, and its just totally pathetic...on very hard i need to fire around 300 bullets (2 head) to kill SM Brute ... and ofcourse minigun went from 100% to around 80% condition ... just n/c

I used power armor. Because Power Armor is Freakin' Awesome.

Yeah, I was the guy who couldn't resist rushing the Enclave power armor in FO2. I like playing a Space Marine :)

Yem said:
I just cant belive it how badly Bethsada messd my favorite weapon from Fo's ,the mighty minigun :< I just finally made totall big guns char, and its just totally pathetic...on very hard i need to fire around 300 bullets (2 head) to kill SM Brute ... and ofcourse minigun went from 100% to around 80% condition ... just n/c

try rangers` minigun - its much better
and prior to it I guess you are stuck with flamer and occasional rockets. cause normal minigun is a joke ;/

IMO Best big gun (U can get after around 10 minutes of playing) is rock-it luncher ... infinite ammo ftw

Anyway ,why bethsada deleted different ammo types? (i know, i know, no different armour types=no different ammo types...but still)...not even funny

Back