Small question regarding the old 10mm pistol

comscar

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Ok, one thing has always bothered me about the Colt 6520 pistol.

90x55x2-Fo1_10mm_Pistol.png

on the side it has a revolver cylinder, so is it magazine fed? or loaded by putting bullets inside the cylinder like old revolvers?

also, on an unrelated note, does anyone know what the Colt Rangemaster is modeled after?

This is the wrong forum, but the mods will sort that out.
The Colt 6520 is magazine-fed (with the clip in the grip), but the design is based on a revolver.
This one:
Hard_boiled.jpg

Maybe the Colt was supposed to be a revolver in the beginning, but then they added more bullets to its clip for balancing reasons... I don't know. A twelve-shot revolver doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though ;)
I don't know about the Rangemaster. Wasn't there some topic about the design-inspirations somewhere on here?

It's literally the gun from the hard boiled comic. It looks as it does because its cool. That is.

Revolvers are perfectly welcome to have more or less than six rounds.

With Dardick "trounds", you can have a revolver feeding from a magazine. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdeZ77O-FI .
But obviously the Colt 10mm's cylinder is wrong for that, since the chambers would have to be half open.

As for how come Fallout uses it? I just think the devs liked the esthetic & did not think further than that. It's like the .223 Pistol, which is the Blade Runner gun and makes absolutely no sense being .223.

SuAside said:
With Dardick "trounds", you can have a revolver feeding from a magazine. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdeZ77O-FI .
But obviously the Colt 10mm's cylinder is wrong for that, since the chambers would have to be half open.

As for how come Fallout uses it? I just think the devs liked the esthetic & did not think further than that. It's like the .223 Pistol, which is the Blade Runner gun and makes absolutely no sense being .223.

I was just thinking about that before I read your post. Yah. But the cylinder does make it look badass, haha. I mean in the first Fallout they made a whole bunch of gear design decisions based on bare aesthetics, I've no problem with that.

Although I have to admit this is the first time I paid enough attention to notice the cylinder :roll:

SuAside said:

these are all the reasons right here

The blade runner gun makes perfect sense if you have a 5 shot .44 special charter arms revolver on the bottom and a single (or 2-3 shot...) bolt action .222 mounted on top of it.

A real working version has been built and there are videos on youtube.

you seem to miss the key points of 'looks cool as fuck'

the gun is supposed to be chambered (in blade runner) with .44 and a laser tube on top.

in the game it's supposed to be a cudown .223 rifle. Which has nothing to do with .44

It could work but would be stupid and cause the cylinder to be useless, in most cases except for maybe one. But yes. It looks cool. That's pretty much it.

Hassknecht said:
The Colt 6520 is magazine-fed (with the clip in the grip) [...] they added more bullets to its clip for balancing reasons... I don't know. A twelve-shot revolver doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though ;)

I realize I'm just splitting hairs (esp. since you already described it as magazine-fed, but for clarification's sake; magazines work much differently than clips. If anyone's curious of the difference:

http://miaanstine.com/2012/12/18/clip-vs-magazine/

Also a bit of a misconception, revolvers can have any number of rounds. Of course the most popular are designed to hold 6 shots, but 12-shot and up revolvers are made and sold today:

http://www.cascity.com/us-fire-arms-introduces-12-shot-new-model-1222-revolver/230/

There are also now-antiquated designs that are so crazy that they look like they could aesthetically belong in games like Fallout:

http://www.vincelewis.net/20shot.html

As for the Colt Rangemaster, it doesn't look like any rifle that Colt currently produces. My buddy has a copy of Jane's Gun Recognition Guide that I'll take a look at and see if I can't post here with a guess soon.

The largest image I can find of the original Rangemaster seems to be the size as it appears in your item slot in-game, which is not even 150*60 pixels. From such a low-res view, the best lookalike I can identify is a Colt AR-15 with a wooden stock and forestock, like the one depicted here:

AR15%20Wood%20024.JPG

The AR-15 is also chambered for .223 Remington/5.56 NATO, the same as the Rangemaster. The small dimensions of the AR-15's 10-round magazine seem to match-up to the in-game image, as well:

AR.jpg

Sadly, I couldn't find any images of AR-15s tied together with twine.

I MAY be able to Photoshop a Rangemaster, though I'm still a beginner (only been working for about a month) and I mostly just put together existing firearms parts from pictures to create custom designs.

On the subject of the Colt 6520, its design is pretty much impossible based on its appearance and capabilities. It can't be using trounds to feed the cylinder from a magazine, since the cylinder is totally enclosed rather than having cutouts on the exterior for the triangular cartridges to fit into (and the visible 10mm ammo is standard 10mm Auto anyways). It definitely can't have the necessary capacity in the cylinder itself, because the cylinder isn't nearly big enough for more than about 8 10mm rounds at the most.

While aesthetically pleasing, the actual workability of the design is nil. If you wanted to justify its design in-universe (rather than taking a Doylist view of "It was made by the Fallout creators to look cool"), the cylinder would have to either have an entirely different function unrelated to ammunition or be an intentional decision by Colt to include a useless revolver cylinder in a semi-auto pistol just for looks.

SuAside said:

Pretty much. If you check out the Hard Boiled comic, you can even feel falloutyness in it (except for the cyborg-theme). Doesn't surprise me at all that they chose Geof Darrow to paint the cover of New Vegas' All Roads comic.

I see the 10mm pistol as a revolver. Sure it doesn't make much sense, but who cares. Revolvers are super cool and the Hard Boiled pistol is some sex shit... unlike the 10mm pistol from Fallout 3, which I find super generic and boring.

it's gun that shoots bullets. bullets into mans

dont think about it much more than that.

Fallout isn't really the kind of game for that level of sperg (or atleast htat subject of sperg)

Back