So Our Protagonist Is Over 200 Years Old

X12

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I wonder how that worked out? Was Vault 111's experiment to freeze people and see how many will survive when 200 years was up? Apparently the answer was "1". Because I dont see him/her surviving that long otherwise, especially looking just as young. Plus, since the bomb dropped in 2077, are we to assume that Fallout 4 takes place in 2277, the same time as Fallout 3 and 4 years before Fallout New Vegas?

It's either cryogenics or some other form of suspended animation. Note that when interacting with Codsworth the Sole Survivor says "I wasn't out THAT long." In the USA, "out" is used as slang for "asleep."

Cryogenic pods were shown I believe. Either that or VR. I bet you play an android, clone, or were somehow put in stasis for 200 years.

All serviceable options, though no one but no one is going to be happy if it turns out your character is a synth. If they're not looking to Shyamalan us, cryogenics or some form of similar preservation would be the most likely possibility. We've already seen the technology in use in Vault 112 and at the Sierra Army Depot.

The vaults are set up as experiments for long term space travel right?

I theroize that vault 111 was set up as a Cryostasis Experiment Vault. Cryostasis has been used in scifi for space travel for years. aswell as other examples of cryostasis used in Fallout 2 that is in the stuff Killap re-added with his patch. im sure there is some other example im forgetting.
Something Goes wrong and our Protagonist is Some how awakened but every one else's has failed or a cave-in or some other destruction happened in the vault.

though i feel Bethesda could place more of an emotional strain on the protag just witnessing their wife and child die like that.

Maybe the experiment was to transplant the hypothalamus into a dog to stop the aging process but then the dog turned into a human...I hope somebody understood that reference :look:

It's a solid (if not sure) bet the kid survives. Possibly your spouse, too, but almost certainly the kid. They probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of generating it according to the genetics of the two customizable parents unless you were going to see it again. My guess is you get separated during the chaos and the kid either doesn't make it into the vault or ends up leaving before you. If you don't meet up again with the kid themself, you'll likely run into a descendant or two at some point and/or see some evidence of the life they lived.

My guess is you get separated during the chaos and the kid either doesn't make it into the vault or ends up leaving before you. If you don't meet up again with the kid themself, you'll likely run into a descendant or two at some point and/or see some evidence of the life they lived.

fuck that would be cool!
the theme of father and son(grandson/granddaughter?) and the tenuous relationship they would have meeting in the wasteland
The perspective of children viewing parents was played with in FO3 but the reverse would be pretty cool.

I doubt Bethesda could handle writing it correctly though.

It's a solid (if not sure) bet the kid survives. Possibly your spouse, too, but almost certainly the kid. They probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble of generating it according to the genetics of the two customizable parents unless you were going to see it again. My guess is you get separated during the chaos and the kid either doesn't make it into the vault or ends up leaving before you. If you don't meet up again with the kid themself, you'll likely run into a descendant or two at some point and/or see some evidence of the life they lived.

One of your surviving family members is the villain of the game. DRAMA!

I just hope we don't get a retread of Fallout 3 and New Vegas; go find this person that you have been tracking all over the wasteland.

Over 200 years old, but with the mind and life experience of a child.... It's not like the ghouls, who lived through those 200 years as their daily life.

My Guess? (want it?)

The villain is the calculator/Master ~Mistress hybrid cyborg, leader of the Unit-E.

Just imagine... FO4 could be a Fallout 1/Beowulf ripoff.

Last edited:
Dr. Braun from FO 3 and House from NV were both over 200 but House and probably Braun also were as good as dead outside of their containment

Hopefully they have some sort of decent way to explain why your character can make it out and not some half assed bullshit

Everyone of my friends are making Futurama references. Will the protagonist meet a Dr. Farnsworth like character along the way?
So Is everyone else going to make a "Fry" run of the game at some point?

Yeah well Fallout 4 needs Twiki if they are doing a cryo story:

Last edited by a moderator:
The true twist is that you'll be told over and over again that you were put in a cryogenic freeze, but then it turns out that you're just a copy of the person who was actually frozen and you're just an android with his/her memories! Oh, and the original is dead! But then, by the end, you'll decide that you're just as much a real person as everyone else and free all the rest of the androids and bring freedom to Boston!

Lord how I hope I'm wrong.

We know that you'll end up being a robot in the end.
Why do people always assume its gonna be robots? Just because the only mention of the Commonwealth in Fallout 3 base game was from"The Replicated Man", doesnt mean you are gonna become an android or are one. The best idea is that you were frozen in some kind of stasis, and awoken 200 years later (something must have happened so everyone else didnt survive the stasis). It actually fits the Vault Experiment, as it was the Enclave's way of trying to find out how one could survive the long trip from Earth to a more inhabitable planet. Cryostasis would have been at the top of their experiment list, like "can a person survive 200 years in cryostasis".

As for the Institute I have the theory that the people in it came from a control Vault filled with some of the best and brightest (as in it wasnt used for experiments) under it, and at some point they left the Vault, with vast knowledge pass down from generations, and rebuilt the Institution.

Back