Splintered Core CRPG - Updated 6/10/10

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by soggie, Jul 9, 2010.

1. soggie

soggie First time out of the vault

Jul 26, 2007
    On the issue of "plot twists", no I don't think my plot has any of that. The general idea of the plot is that you're a slave who through a stroke of luck gained your freedom, and with nothing left to lose you begin your search for a legendary city in the south rumored to be the last haven for mankind in the wasteland.

The plot then builds up from there as you explore towns to search for information on that city. It's a pretty non-linear main quest - heck, at some point you can even choose to forget about the main quest and settle down in one of the towns for good, assuming if you have a good standing there.

The focus is in the journey. The people you meet along the way, the unique charm of each town, and the things that you do in them. Admittedly, the main plot is just a flimsy excuse to get the player to travel to new locations, just like how the GECK is pretty irrelevant to the big picture in Fallout 2.

I hope this would be a breath of fresh air in comparison to 99.9% of RPGs who feature a big bad villian/evil god/conspiring boss/genocidal alien wanting to destroy the world, who can only be stopped by the farm boy in a remote village who went from zero to hero and succeed where millions of others (most of them having far more experience) fail.

2. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I just have to say that while your game world premise is derivative in the extreme, it also sounds very interesting and like an excellent universe for any number of stories to take place in. As someone who has aspirations of becoming a creative designer in the games industry, it's actually somewhat inspiring for me.

I do have to disagree - to some degree - with the whole "you need programming or artistic skills" bit that was mentioned earlier in this thread. So long as you have a team of people on the same creative page as you willing to put themselves into a project, you can focus fully on design work. Obviously that is a luxury mostly reserved to those in the games industry proper, but it's also a bit silly to imply that someone's efforts are worthless simply because "everyone has ideas". No. Everyone has ideas. Not everyone has good ideas or the ability to communicate those ideas effectively to others, or to flesh them out.

Regarding your project, while I'm not entirely sure that I'm able to help you out, I do have some experience with 2D and 3D level design, as well as some experience with hand-drawn and digital art (though I wouldn't call myself an artist on the level with what you seem to already have available).

3. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    sea, thanks for the seal of approval. I really do hope that the Vietnam War-styled jungle environment with constant rain would be a breath of fresh air in comparison with the desert wasteland archetype in post-apocalyptic games nowadays.

Well considering that the game is being developed on a shoestring budget, I do need to be fairly proficient in all fields to an extend. Having knowledge in those domains also help when you need to commission work. You can talk to them in their language, which makes transition of requirements much easier and less prone to transition errors.

As for level design, having more minds on the subject would definitely be a great help. I'm not sure what I can offer you though, considering all permanent spots in the team have been filled at this point of time. I'd love to have you join our forums once it's up though - community criticism is one thing that I love.

4. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Received first art pack and did some quick environmental mockups to gauge for size and style:

Day time

Night time

5. John B.

John B. Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2010
    I have to say that I am vary impressed with this, and like the look, and feel that it has going for it so far, most games don't really have the feel I'm looking for, but so far this game has it.

6. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks John B. I'm in the midst of writing the map editor and hope to show a video of day/night transition using simple pixel shaders.

7. John B.

John B. Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2010
    A quick question thoe, as I didn't read the whole thing as much as skim over the plot is what major part will vehicles play in this, I would love to see some sort of vehicle system implemented.

8. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Well, I'm not sure if I can implement any vehicular system in the game other than those similar to Fallout 2. Were you talking about something like Fallout Tactics?

Anyway, vehicles would be extremely rare and incredibly expensive in the game. For one, most of them are either biofuel (most expensive since food is scarce already) or hydroplasma (expensive for mutants, since it is monopolized by the Pure Men), and they are used only by large merchant caravans.

So while getting a vehicle is a possibility (in fact, one of the major quests), it won't exactly play a large visual or combat role in the game. It'll be more like FO2's car.

9. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan A Smooth-Skin

Aug 6, 2008
    I like where this is going, keep up the good work.

10. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks Morgan.

Newest update: Irrlicht Disaster!

Wasted a whole day trying to shoehorn Irrlicht into drawing something that I want, and ended up with this:

Using this scene construction method:

Compared to my photoshop mockup:

I can safely say it's a long way off. It's pretty confusing to figure out how to do multitexturing without shaders with Irrlicht, let alone texture splatting. After fiddling for a bit, I finally decided that despite Ogre3D's bulk and somewhat questionable love for singletons, it is still my best bet. Heck, the materials script alone makes it worthwhile, and the scene manager seems much easier to extend than Irrlicht's.

Well, I'm back to Ogre now, hoping that this would be a correct decision.

EDIT:

New plan involves doing this:

Let me explain. First the camera is pointed down the Z-axis, and locked to the X and Y-axis. After that, an orthographic projection is used, with a orthographic-like projection matrix on standby in case I want to do parallax effects in the future.

The ground tiles are rendered in conventional 2d isometric method: start from the top left tile (which should be the north edge of the diamond-shaped map), and renders down the southwest vector (as logical Y-axis).

After that, 3D characters and wall/object sprites in 2D quads are rendered onto a different render target, with a custom depth sorting algorithm using a custom scene tree with explicit z-order variables for all entities. The important factor here is to use a strategy pattern to make it easy to swap different draw order strategies.

Assuming that this actually works, the next step would be to use a full-screen pixel shader to simulate day and night cycles. Then a real-time editable alpha mask would be included in the built-in editor to enable real-time editing of the ground tile's texture splatting, which would then be compiled into a release version for the artists to refine the textures and map objects.

All these would probably happen in the course of a week or so, according to my ever optimistic schedules. :smug:

11. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    You lost me there. Completely.

But I'm happy to see that things are moving forward!

12. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Don't worry it's just a long and inane monologue to blame the lack of progress not on my own lack of technical excellence but on somebody else's engine. :lol:

13. soggie

Jul 26, 2007
    Latest blog updates:

Splintered Core Lore - the Deadlanders

Handling the passage of time

14. Dreadwolf

Dreadwolf First time out of the vault

Oct 24, 2007
    So far I'm impressed. Especially liked the part about the "resolve-meter". Could be very interesting if implemented properly.

But I'm a bit sceptical about the savegame-transfer plans. I really don't want to doubt your abilities and my knowledge of this stuff is limited, but I imagine that this sort of thing would include all kinds of variables you'd have to look out for in the planned sequel(s).
    Would be a shame to fail for some too ambitious design choices.

And i really like the concept art & visuals so far.

15. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Looks nice so far, keep up the good work.