[SteamDetour] Run Fallout mods from Steam

Samira

Random is god
Small tool to "force" Steam into running external executable (read: located outside of game directory) as selected game; makes running Fallout mods [using mod folders] from Steam less annoying to setup.

Unlike all guides i found around, this one does not require touching any of game files and provides a little more functionality than counting playtime only... actually working screenshot hotkey! Woohoo!

Other than screenshots, it also enables access to browser, friends list, and chat - sadly in "read-only" mode, as for some reason keypresses are not passed to overlay (except screenshot hotkey). Oh well. At least you can take a quick look at guide if you're stuck somewhere. Or see what Steam folks are talking about today.

pBSlWSD.png

"Why is this game so fun?"

While it was made to allow running EtTu from Steam (as Fallout 1), it's not really limited to that. If your friends are really worried about your crippling Fallout addiction, you can avoid any interventions by running Fallout disguised as some other game.

MmxDuCo.png

EtTu running as Graveyard Keeper
Sneak 300%

Mixing other, non-Fallout games, should (sic!) work just fine, as tool doesn't really do anything special... maybe except changing working directory, which is critical to make whole thing work with Fallouts; modern games usually doesn't require that.

USAGE
  • Download SteamDetour.zip (see below) and extract somewhere
  • Open Steam and right-click on Fallout2 (or other game which should be redirected)
  • Set launch options to:
    "C:\Full\\Path\To\SteamDetour.exe" "C:\Full\Path\To\Mod\With\Fallout2.exe" %command%
  • Enjoy!

Note that after removing %command% part only Steam will run default launcher, which might be useful for quick switching between modded and vanilla game version.

LINKS

It still works, tried it on FIXT, but you have to have Fallout set to DX9 (DX9 for the overlay to work).

Last edited:
Does this still work? When I open the Steam Overlay I can't get it to close again to go back to the game. Even clicking the big X button in the upper right-hand corner doesn't work.
upload_2024-4-23_9-0-18.png

Last edited:
Does this still work? When I open the Steam Overlay I can't get it to close again to go back to the game. Even clicking the big X button in the upper right-hand corner doesn't work.
View attachment 28478

Tried it on Et Tu and yes... I can't close it either when using the built-in HRP. With the old HRP 4.1.8 I can close it by pressing 'ESC'.

The last time I tried it on the original FO1 I don't remember having problems closing the overlay. There I used HRP 4.1.8 (obviously) too.

So try using the old HRP.

Tried it on Et Tu and yes... I can't close it either when using the built-in HRP. With the old HRP 4.1.8 I can close it by pressing 'ESC'.

The last time I tried it on the original FO1 I don't remember having problems closing the overlay. There I used HRP 4.1.8 (obviously) too.

So try using the old HRP.

Sorry, I'm new here. Can you explain what you mean by HRP? I'm lost.

HRP = High Resolution Patch

Are you playing Et Tu (Fallout1in2)? Or are you playing the original FO1? I can't tell from the image.

Ah, I'm playing Et Tu (Fallout1in2).
Then try copying "Fallout2HR.exe" from your regular FO2 to your Fallout1in2 directory and in steam change the startup steamdetour command to start with Fallout2HR.exe. Edit Fallout1in2\ddraw.ini and set HiResMode=0. Start the game through Steam and see if you can close the overlay with ESC.

In general, you have two HRP setups:

fallout2.exe + HiResMode=1 //HRP that comes with sfall
fallout2hr.exe + HiResMode=0 //HRP that comes from the old HRP patch

On my end, I can close the overlay with ESC on the old HRP.

Then try copying "Fallout2HR.exe" from your regular FO2 to your Fallout1in2 directory and in steam change the startup steamdetour command to start with Fallout2HR.exe. Edit Fallout1in2\ddraw.ini and set HiResMode=0. Start the game through Steam and see if you can close the overlay with ESC.

In general, you have two HRP setups:

fallout2.exe + HiResMode=1 //HRP that comes with sfall
fallout2hr.exe + HiResMode=0 //HRP that comes from the old HRP patch

On my end, I can close the overlay with ESC on the old HRP.

Ok, great! That works. But then the problem is that the x2 zoom feature no longer works so everything looks super small. Is there a way to fix that in the old HRP patch setup?

Ok, great! That works. But then the problem is that the x2 zoom feature no longer works so everything looks super small. Is there a way to fix that in the old HRP patch setup?
For Scale2x to work, in Fallout1in2\ddraw.ini set Mode=0 in the [Graphics] section. In Fallout1in2\f2_res.ini select GRAPHICS_MODE=2 for DirectX 9, so that the overlay works.

For Scale2x to work, in Fallout1in2\ddraw.ini set Mode=0 in the [Graphics] section. In Fallout1in2\f2_res.ini select GRAPHICS_MODE=2 for DirectX 9, so that the overlay works.

That did it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I can quickly and easily go back and forth between my guide and the game.

Last edited:
Back