Strategy games (recommend me some if you please)

Europa Universalis III from Paradox Interactive. They just released a package that includes all four(!) of the expansions. EU3 is the king of strategy games. :)

Ausdoerrt said:
The original was I think (not completely sure), but I was talking about the recent Russian remakes, so there's probably some degree of mutual borrowing.

Oh yeah, the new one. I haven't tried, though reviews say it is good.
Now that you mention it, they made 2 new games: King's Bounty: The Legend and King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

Wasn't there remakes of the Close Combat games released a while ago? I loved the battle of the bulge but I haven't been able to run it without constant crashing on any of my recent builds.

There are a lot of really solid mods for Medieval II Total War. Kingdoms expansion should be pretty cheap now. There's a LOTR mod for it, for example, as well as several that increases the difficulty, which is really very low in the vanilla game. Shogun 2 is a lot more challenging, with a much more aggressive and slightly less moronic AI.

Dead Guy said:
There's a LOTR mod for it

Third Age, right?

I'm thinking of reinstalling Medieval II, and a friend told me to get that mod, saying it is very good, though I doubt his evaluation, since he knows about Tolkien's works as much as I know about ballet.
Is it worth a download?

I downloaded it before Shogun 2 got out, but I got Shogun before I had a chance to install it, so I can't really say. I played the Rome: Total War LOTR mod very briefly, that looked good but suffered a lot from the insane movement speeds you got in RTW. From what I've seen of Third Age, it looks very well done.

From what I've read on the groups forum at twcenter, they've put in a lot of work to make it true to the books. The things they've accomplished with custom castles for certain locations in the world is astounding from a modders perspective from what I've gathered reading their first attempts at it.

Check out Minas Morgul and Edoras. And here are some screenshots of troops in game.

Okay, man, you've got me. As soon as I install Medieval II, I'm getting this.
It looks way better and truer to the series, both to books and films, than official EA games.
Thanks a bunch.

Hassknecht said:
Again, I recommend Imperialism.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/26747/Imperialism.html
It's a really neat game.

Imperialism is amazing, I can not stop playing it. I know it for only 3 years or so , but I think it is already my most played strategy game . I love both 1&2, I play them in tandem. Somehow all the elements of the game fit so perfectly together. Plus it is perfect for a netbook in the sun.
Also I recommend listening to Chomsky rant about the real worlds Imperialism in the background while doing just that in the game.

Back