Survival Horror games

PastaMasta

Mildly Dipped
So I've wanted to get into some survival horror games. Could someone tell me something worth playing?

Maybe its worth mentioning : I haven't played a silent hill game.

Penumbra series has received a lot of praise. I've been looking forward to playing it as soon as I'm done with the other 50 games I have lined up in the upcoming months.

Fairly recently I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, a fairly obscure (but impressively produced) survival horror FPS. The first couple of hours are awesome and probably the best representation of Lovecraft's setting and themes in any game, ever. Sadly, it seems the developers ran out of time or inspiration about one third into the game, because it devolves into a fairly standard shooter.

screw every survival horror game you have heard of...go and play Nocturne. Best survival horror game i have ever played.
here is a video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6KjqY-dXU[/youtube]

I do want to recomend that you play silent hill... I subjected a friend of mine to it recently and I thought the old graphics would turn him off but he was seriosly creeped out. Silent Hill is the one survival horror game where you will find yourself running more often than not and the atmosphere is excellent. Also it has less of the arbitrary immersion breakers than most games do, for example there is no weapons shop and the puzzles are not that bad.

As for Dark Corners I recommend it a lot but you do have to be a little bit of a masochist, the game is extremely difficult and although it is a survival horror game you will find yourself getting into some really big firefights. Still I have no regrets of playing that game.

Silent Hill series (1-3 are the only real Silent Hill games) is probably always going to be at the top of survival horror genre for me, simply cause.. it scared me the most. And even continues to do so in subsequent playthroughs to this day. That is achieved with not relying on cheap jump-scares but with thoughtfully built atmosphere, where sounds, music, visuals and right camera angles at certain parts all complement each other. Combat is clunky and camera sometimes inconvenient, but that also makes it somewhat scarier. I recomend starting with 2 and then playing 1 and 3, cause: 1. It's easier to get into series starting with 2, cause 1 is quite outdated, and 2 looks and sounds quite nice even today. 2. It's a completely separate story from 1 and 3, which are connected. 3. It's easily the best Silent Hill game ever.

Call Of Cthulhu DCoTE is quite good and unique experience. It does go downhill quite a bit once you get to use guns and it is annoyingly hard in some places but the atmosphere is good until the end and story is engaging, and I actually loved the ending. That happens rarely for me with videogames.
There is one part though, where I was supposed to run from this big tentacle shit while closing doors behind me and I had to increase the run speed value with a certain exe patcher to be able to continue the game. I wasn't able to do it otherwise, I tried like forty times and drove myself nuts over it. I'm wondering if anyone finished it on default speed.
I'm replaying this game now and I used the same patcher to also enable debug mode, which allows me to save anywhere, because I don't want to live through exact same level of frustration again.

Multidirectional said:
There is one part though, where I was supposed to run from this big tentacle shit while closing doors behind me and I had to increase the run speed value with a certain exe patcher to be able to continue the game. I wasn't able to do it otherwise, I tried like forty times and drove myself nuts over it. I'm wondering if anyone finished it on default speed.

I know I passed that part without any external help, although I dont remember the game too well so I dont know if there was some kind of solution or something you could do to buy yourself time. Movement was a little frustrating in that game though, actually a lot of things where but in the end it was all worth it. Still I am on your side in doing whatever you have to in order to make the game less frustrating... the last quarter is hell because your character is no god of combat yet you are fighting a lot.

BTW you know what would be awesome? A mirrors edge style game that involves mostly fleeing from the supernatural and using the enviroment to defeat your foes. Mobility + a damn good reason to run would rock. I know that in COC some of the most memorable moments involved fleeing from an angry, mutated mob.

Hmm I think we had one of these threads, but anyway here we go again.

1st Clive barker's Undying
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5qDLKJIAw&feature=related[/youtube]

2nd Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GczDSqLQM&feature=related[/youtube]

3rd AvP Gold Edition - Marine
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeR77hiw7M[/youtube]

There are probably more, but to me they seem light. Thats why Doom3, Quake 4 dont really feel scary, same goes for Resident series & Dead Space.

Anyway here is a linkie to top ten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJI5dzl8GTE&feature=related
hope this helps.

Definitely play Silent Hill. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time. The story will blow you away.

Resident Evil Remake for GC is the only RE that's actually a bit scary.

Condemned: Criminal Origins would also be a very good choice. It's more of a thriller but one could call it a horror game.

I wouldn't know if this strictly counts, but there's something sinister and scary about Bioshock... Scared me more than Resi Evil's at any rate.

Bioshock had a few scares. Wasn't as special to me as system shock 2. I'll give Silent Hill a try and maybe a few others. :P

I cant vouch for condemned but I have heard great stuff about how scary it is.

As for bioshock I would not call it survival horror but it can be scary and does require some sense of economy. In particular it has nicely designed enviroments, not at the valve level but still most places feel unique and menacing.

Hands down, Silent Hill.

The story in at least the first three games was phenomenal.

Also, it does well in delivering true Japanese horror.

Also, does anyone remember Clock Tower?

lasix9 said:
Hands down, Silent Hill.

The story in at least the first three games was phenomenal.

Also, it does well in delivering true Japanese horror.

Also, does anyone remember Clock Tower?

Played the demo of clock tower 2 when I was like.. 8. Scared the shit out of me.

Silent Hill 1&2 are must plays if you want to get into the genre. They are generally regarded as masterpieces by everyone who are fans of the series but after that people start to fall out and debate which of the games are any good.

I also have to recommend Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. Those two games being the only games I actually could not play alone at night and had to turn off at one point because they fucked with me so bad. :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jfnsbmc-Y&feature=related[/youtube]

It may seem silly listening and watching them play it but trust me, do it yourself alone at night with no other sounds in your house and you will see.

Serge 13 said:
screw every survival horror game you have heard of...go and play Nocturne. Best survival horror game i have ever played.
here is a video ...

A bit OT but I have got this game recently thanks to your post, but i am unable to set it up correctly, and I was unable to find solutions on the net, so if you know how to fix the flickering/semi-invisible 3d models please tell me (or anybody here), thank you.

I have a dual core processor, 8600GT with latest drivers and XP 32bit BTW.

lack of Eternal Darkness is sad.

GO PLAY ETERNAL DARKNESS! Gamecubes for around $30.

Fatal Frame was quite good but I had to mute that video after about 1/2 second of that players "narration".

After having played Undying also, definetly give it a try and be sure to get Silent Hill 2 or maybe 3.

Back