The Absolute Wasted Opportunity of Not Featuring Area 51!

TheKingofVault14

Fallout Fan For Life!
Lumii_20240130_231645997.jpg

Looking back now, I'm surprised that Obsidian never added Area 51 as a location in Fallout New Vegas.
It's crazy, especially with the amount of possibilities they could've done with it! What kind of stories would they tell about that secretive government operation center?
Would it prove that they've been imprisoning Aliens there, and conducting various horrific experiments on them? Or would it show that the whole narrative about Aliens is a complete lie, a total psychological operation, in order to execute & further US Government's nefarious plans?

:confused:

Seriously, they REALLY could've explored a lot of things with such a storyline!

So yeah anyways, I just wanted to make this thread because one, it appears that there hasn't been a thread that's entirely dedicated to discussing this topic. Two, I wanted to bring this up because I really do think that it's wasted opportunity! The fact that Area 51 has been mentioned before in the Fallout series, the Crashed UFO Special Encounter in FO1, it would've been cool to explore more of what that Special Encounter implied about Area 51, & the government operations going on there. Dang shame really :-x :sad:

Also, did anybody on the New Vegas Team ever explain why they didn't add Area 51 into the game in the first place?

:confused:

Josh Sawyer explained that he didn't touch Area 51 in New Vegas because Bethesda already made an alien-centric DLC with Mothership Zeta that goes all out on the sci-fi aspect Area 51 is known for. He also say's it's because Area 51 isn't as close to Vegas as people think:

upload_2024-1-31_15-59-1.png

While not being close to Vegas doesn't make sense as a reason to me as it could've been a DLC expansion, not wanting to retread something already done is understandable. All the mystery and intrigue of Area 51 wouldn't be as exciting now that we've already been to space and seen aliens in action in that God awful DLC from Fallout 3.

I always thought that Big MT was originally concepted to be Area 51 before making drastic changes and becoming something more original, but I could be wrong on that.

Making it a DLC would have been i good way to hint at big MT, you might find prototypes of the tech in big MT, just not in a working state or incomplete, and having the radioactive roadblock be the point of travel would be a good way to get there, maps show it is in that direction.

The very name "Big MT" dates all the way back to early iterations of Van Buren, so it's doubtful
I know Big MT was originally the nickname(?) for Tibbets Prison, I was moreso referring to the Think Tank concept that was made for New Vegas than the names or recycled Van Buren concepts.

Yeah, Nevada doesn't stop at Las Vegas. There's a whole state. It's like saying Maryland is only Baltimore, or that New York is only New York City.

Back