The Curse of Cow Clicker

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Starseeker, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Starseeker

Starseeker Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 25, 2003
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/12/ff_cowclicker/

A very interesting look on where the future of gaming may or may not be going.

I would recommend those interested to read it from beginning to the end. It is a fascinating look at group dynamics and basics of game play and its mechanics. The ending of the article is also a bit scary in the sense that how many large corporations is latching on to the concept of "gamification" of their marketing and the idea of creating foie gra type of consumers who clicks, clicks, clicks and spends to click some more.

Will this be the future? Addictive, mindless, drone type of game play using shiny badges of pixel rewards that creates a fleeting feel of dopamine so we will donate our time and money to it and keep downloading more? The frightening aspects of Cow Clicker is that even though there are no cows anymore, people still click on it, a big patch of grass, where their cows used to be. :shock:

2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Guest

Imagine a legion of Facebook game playing retards that constantly post every menial task they do everyday for the rest of their meaningless lives-Wait a minute....

Interesting read though seriously.

3. eom

eom Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Feb 16, 2004
    I didn't read that, but did they mention the 20 dollar cows?
    I think the guy started selling 20 dollar cows as a joke and people were actually buying them.

4. boer_kameel

boer_kameel Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 2, 2003
    Wow. I haven't touched my facebook account in months - I generally only use it to connect with travel friends shortly after the travel itself. Ironic to mention that in your thread Starseeker - no pun was intended!

But, I chose to add this app to my facebook today, and invite some people to my pasture that are similarly non-active, or near violently opposed to random game invites/spam.

Thanks for sharing.

On a sidenote: I work at a company that is host broadcaster for the Olympics every year, and our guys are in London now. It made me think of Beijing and you! How are you doing?

5. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    it's not the future of gaming, it's a large part of gaming right at this moment. and it probably won't go away.

that said, it's a type of games that speak to one type of "gamer". the a lot of people will still want a little more substance, and only a certain part of the human race will pay real money for something like that. so I do not fear that regular games will eventually disappear and Cow Clicker is all that will remain.