The Curse of Cow Clicker

Starseeker

Vault Senior Citizen
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/12/ff_cowclicker/

A very interesting look on where the future of gaming may or may not be going.

You work for the Transportation Security Administration, manning the x-ray machine at a local airport. Your day begins easily enough, quickly scanning passengers’ luggage and bodies and waving them through. But after a few minutes, you get an alert—shirts are now contraband. OK, fine, you dutifully strip people of their T-shirts as they pass through the metal detector. Then another alert: Mobile phones are prohibited, too. Wait, now coffee isn’t allowed either, but cell phones are OK again. As you struggle to keep the new rules straight, the line of cranky passengers gets longer. Wait, snakes and turbans have just been outlawed. Oh, and shirts are allowed now, but you didn’t realize that until you’d already stripped down another passenger. That’s one strike against you. Now native headdresses are forbidden, turbans are OK, but shoes must be removed. You get confused and let a snake through—another black mark. The line of passengers begins to stretch across the room even as new regulations keep coming in faster than you can process them. Before long, you are fired—not because you’ve endangered anyone’s safety, but because you failed to cope with the illogical edicts of a capricious bureaucracy.

That pretty much sums up the experience of playing Jetset, a tongue-in-cheek but nerve-jangling iPhone game that almost makes you feel sorry for the petty tyrants behind the backscatter machine. Jetset is the brainchild of Ian Bogost, a game developer and academic. While some videogames let players vicariously experience the thrill of tossing a grenade into an enemy machine-gun nest, Bogost’s offerings—designed under the auspices of his small development company, Persuasive Games—tend to simulate grinding, unsatisfying everyday experiences. In Fatworld, players are charged with managing a diet-and-exercise regimen on a limited budget; in Bacteria Salad, they must grow and sell tomatoes and spinach as quickly as possible while containing E. coli outbreaks. (The game ends when too many people violently shit themselves.) In one of Bogost’s sentimental favorites, Disaffected!, surly Kinko’s employees struggle to fill orders for angry customers. At first, the game seems similar to classics like Tapper or Diner Dash, which transform workplace demands into a source of fun. But Disaffected! offers no such alchemy. “Conventional games are structured to ensure you can accomplish tasks and level up,” says Bogost, who has a PhD in comparative literature and is director of Georgia Tech’s graduate program in digital media. “In our game, you can’t. You can’t see it as working your way up to becoming a manager or to starting your own office-supply store. That is not what this game is about. It is about working a bad job.”

Bogost’s role in the gaming industry is much like that of the acid-tongued class clown who knows he’s smarter than his teachers. He writes a column for the news site Gamasutra in which he has compared Sony to “a baby that doesn’t know its own arms aren’t alien beings.” His acerbic perspective has won him invitations to countless gaming conferences, where he always commands the center of attention—whether onstage or tweeting furiously from the audience. He even looks the part of the rebellious grad student, with hair that falls to the base of his neck, ebullient sideburns that almost reach to his goatee, and a lazy eye that twinkles with every bon mot.

So it’s ironic that Bogost’s breakout hit—the game that has made him a celebrity within his industry, attracted tens of thousands of players, and even earned him a bit of money—is a cynical trifle he whipped up in a matter of days. It’s a Facebook game called Cow Clicker, and it’s unlike anything Bogost ever made before, a borderline-evil piece of work that was intended to embody the worst aspects of the modern gaming industry. He meant Cow Clicker to be a satire with a short shelf life. Instead, it enslaved him and many of its players for much of the past 18 months. Even Bogost can’t decide whether it represents his greatest success—or his most colossal failure.

Cattle Call

Ian Bogost created Cow Clicker as a critique of Facebook games. Taking his cue from FarmVille, which encourages players to personalize their homestead with special crops and equipment, he drew a series of cows for his players to buy with virtual “mooney” or real money. As the game grew more popular, Bogost found himself cranking out dozens of new cow designs to keep his players entertained. Here are some of our favorites.

I would recommend those interested to read it from beginning to the end. It is a fascinating look at group dynamics and basics of game play and its mechanics. The ending of the article is also a bit scary in the sense that how many large corporations is latching on to the concept of "gamification" of their marketing and the idea of creating foie gra type of consumers who clicks, clicks, clicks and spends to click some more.

Will this be the future? Addictive, mindless, drone type of game play using shiny badges of pixel rewards that creates a fleeting feel of dopamine so we will donate our time and money to it and keep downloading more? The frightening aspects of Cow Clicker is that even though there are no cows anymore, people still click on it, a big patch of grass, where their cows used to be. :shock:

Imagine a legion of Facebook game playing retards that constantly post every menial task they do everyday for the rest of their meaningless lives-Wait a minute....

Interesting read though seriously.

I didn't read that, but did they mention the 20 dollar cows?
I think the guy started selling 20 dollar cows as a joke and people were actually buying them.

Wow. I haven't touched my facebook account in months - I generally only use it to connect with travel friends shortly after the travel itself. Ironic to mention that in your thread Starseeker - no pun was intended!

But, I chose to add this app to my facebook today, and invite some people to my pasture that are similarly non-active, or near violently opposed to random game invites/spam.

Thanks for sharing.

On a sidenote: I work at a company that is host broadcaster for the Olympics every year, and our guys are in London now. It made me think of Beijing and you! How are you doing?

it's not the future of gaming, it's a large part of gaming right at this moment. and it probably won't go away.

that said, it's a type of games that speak to one type of "gamer". the a lot of people will still want a little more substance, and only a certain part of the human race will pay real money for something like that. so I do not fear that regular games will eventually disappear and Cow Clicker is all that will remain.

Back