The Original Fallout Games Deserve The Diablo 2: Resurrected Treatment

monsharen

Testament to the ghoul lifespan
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
IGN's Director of Reviews, Dan Stapleton, is making a case for a Fallout remaster. It's a decent read!

It'll be a long road to Fallout 5 – in the meantime, Microsoft should bring back the games that started it all.

Remastering the originals would fill that gap nicely in as little as a couple of years, if Diablo 2 Resurrected’s three-year development is any indication, and give Fallout fans a Stimpack injection of the good stuff to tide us over.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-original-fallout-games-deserve-the-diablo-2-resurrected-treatment

Okay, well as long as they don't make the originals inaccessible, I really couldn't care less. "There are legions of modern-day Fallout fans who have no access to these fantastic games at all". What the fuck are you talking about?

why the fuck is this written like the games are lost to time? literally just play them? theyre frequently less than 3 dollars on steam and they arent that archaic what is this dude on?

Didn't the remaster of Diablo 2 sucked? It had a bunch of issues that the original didn't had.

Didn't the remaster of Diablo 2 sucked? It had a bunch of issues that the original didn't had.
thats what a remaster is

also the article mentions "wouldnt be as simple as porting the models and textures from fallout 4 over" bruh even if it was could you fucking imagine? the original bleak gritty art direction being completely replaced with that sterile plastic "dont make anything too fucked looking" artsyle of fallout 4? even if you could why would you thats actually crazy

Last edited:
He mentions needing to remove child killing, but that hasn't been a thing even in the originals since Bethesda rereleased them, afaik. Anyway, they will almost certainly delist the originals if they end up doing this. That's reason enough to not want it.

He mentions needing to remove child killing, but that hasn't been a thing even in the originals since Bethesda rereleased them, afaik.
It's worth clarifying that the European versions of the original games didn't "feature" kids (they were hidden/removed). It was somewhat of a problem before Bethesda.

It's worth clarifying that the European versions of the original games didn't feature kids. It was somewhat of a problem before Bethesda.
i thought they did have kids but they were just made invisible because of eurocucks delicate sensibilities

You were too quick to respond for me. I edited my post slightly to clarify. The kids were technically there but invisible to get past EU approvals as you say. Bethesda took this a bit further and then a sidestep when they chose to heavily feature unkillable kids instead. Strange choice. Kids were not a point of focus in the earlier games. There are other debatable decisions too of course.

You were too quick to respond for me. I edited my post slightly to clarify. The kids were technically there but invisible to get past EU approvals as you say. Bethesda took this a bit further and then a sidestep when they chose to heavily feature unkillable kids instead. Strange choice. Kids were not a point of focus in the earlier games. There are other debatable decisions too of course.

Unless something has changed, this is how the games currently are everywhere. My copy of F1 from GOG has the invisible kids in it, or I'm pretty sure that's how it worked last time I checked. For Beth's own games, I'm not surprised they just made invincible kids, considering it's their go-to solution for any NPC that they don't want the player to kill.

Edit: Uh, I should clarify this, because I just booted up my old copy, and there are some kids in Shady Sands. I've had this installed for so long, I can't remember if it's modded at all.

Last edited:
i dont understand why they wouldnt just not put kids in the game at all if it was gonna be a problem.

I mean, that's what they should've done. But Bethesda likes half-finished features, I guess. They put kids in Fallout 3, but they were invincible. You could ride horses in Skyrim, but you couldn't attack from horseback. They include edible food, but it's useless. They include followers, but no menu to manage them. They add perks, but the perks are boring. etcetce

The only issue I remember it having was they made the Amazon ugly because of modern sensibilities.

Anyway, they will almost certainly delist the originals if they end up doing this. That's reason enough to not want it.
As far as the d2 remaster you could hit G and it would turn it to the old graphics instantly.

And it had performance issues, the servers were fucked for a while and several other things.
The performance and server issues I don't remember and I played at launch. Seems like par for the course in modern game development though.

A Fallout remaster is a bit impossible in my opinion because a lot of the charm of the game comes from its aesthetics which would undoubtedly be altered. For every soyface I might make at Tycho wearing Desert Ranger armor for example, there will be worse changes such as making the talking heads more in-line with the newer games. Set would look like Hancock, the Lieutenant would look like Strong. I don’t see how they could remaster the game without touching the talking heads, it would be out of place. You’d also get newer sprites such as the Fallout 4 10mm over the Colt 6520, the Fallout 4 pipe rifle over the Fallout 2 one, or the horrendous Fallout 4 assault rifle over the light support weapon.
Also I would imagine Bethesda would take liberties with the lore adding new terminal entries or holotapes including their stuff into the originals or censoring shit like the child murder.

The only issue I remember it having was they made the Amazon ugly because of modern sensibilities.

As far as the d2 remaster you could hit G and it would turn it to the old graphics instantly.

I've heard good-ish things about the D2 remaster, but it's also a case of a company remastering their own game, probably mostly for diehard fans. Blizzard has a large, fanatical, dogmatic fanbase, and even then they haven't always treated their IPs as well as people expected. I have no faith that Bethesda, Microsoft, or whoever would take the same approach to a property they acquired. And even if we set aside previous treatment of the series since that acquisition, many remasters have not gone so well, and most companies seem to be fans of taking down old products if they want to sell a modern alternative instead. [Or they're actually evil, like Epic]

Since I own it, it doesn't really affect me, but I'm a fan of preserving games that are already good in their original state.

You know, I wonder how Tim Cain would feel about the idea of a remaster; with the caveat that the originals would be removed from circulation (short of finding it elsewhere of course)?

You know, I wonder how Tim Cain would feel about the idea of a remaster; with the caveat that the originals would be removed from circulation (short of finding it elsewhere of course)?

He talked about improvements he would like to make on his channel. I'm sure it would depend on what they changed.

Back