The Original Fallout Games Deserve The Diablo 2: Resurrected Treatment

Okay, but with the aforementioned caveat.

I mean its a question that answers itself. What do you think the guy who spent his personal time and passion making the game and still reflects on it to this day would feel if it was scrubbed from circulation?

I mean its a question that answers itself. What do you think the guy who spent his personal time and passion making the game and still reflects on it to this day would feel if it was scrubbed from circulation?
Well that's why I'm curious; after all he seems indifferent if not outright in favor of a lot of what Bethesda's been doing with the series. I know he can't do anything about it, I'm just curious to see another emotion out of Tim, other than limitless positivity. Also, I know he doesn't owe me or anyone else, anything. I'm just tired of everyone rolling over and expecting others to follow suit. I mean, at least Josh Sawyer has said that he understands how people would be frustrated with the direction of the show.

Last edited:
I've heard good-ish things about the D2 remaster, but it's also a case of a company remastering their own game, probably mostly for diehard fans. Blizzard has a large, fanatical, dogmatic fanbase, and even then they haven't always treated their IPs as well as people expected. I have no faith that Bethesda, Microsoft, or whoever would take the same approach to a property they acquired. And even if we set aside previous treatment of the series since that acquisition, many remasters have not gone so well, and most companies seem to be fans of taking down old products if they want to sell a modern alternative instead. [Or they're actually evil, like Epic]

Since I own it, it doesn't really affect me, but I'm a fan of preserving games that are already good in their original state.
I don't believe the company that remastered d2 was part of blizzard Activision at the time. They did do the crash bandicoot remix and then were acquired by blizzard acti and made the newest crash game.

I don't believe the company that remastered d2 was part of blizzard Activision at the time. They did do the crash bandicoot remix and then were acquired by blizzard acti and made the newest crash game.

Ah weird. I didn't follow it very closely, since I had no desire to buy the game again XD.

Knowing Tim he'd smile the entire time and say be nice as they rewrote it.

Ah weird. I didn't follow it very closely, since I had no desire to buy the game again XD.
Wish I could find my old d2 box lol

Well that's why I'm curious; after all he seems indifferent if not outright in favor of a lot of what Bethesda's been doing with the series. I know he can't do anything about it, I'm just curious to see another emotion out of Tim, other than limitless positivity. Also, I know he doesn't owe me or anyone else, anything. I'm just tired of everyone rolling over and expecting others to follow suit. I mean, at least Josh Sawyer has said that he understands how people would be frustrated with the direction of the show.

I think this video kind of demonstrates his attitude about that stuff.

Also, as Sawyer said in that recent interview, he understands that he doesn't own the stuff he works on, and others can do what they want with it. And Tim obviously has his own tastes, and more personal connections to people who have worked on the IP than to people on the internet that he's never met. With his experience in the industry, I assume he can empathize with anyone drawing public criticism for creative decisions. But the video shows he can also nerdrage when it's something he didn't work on, like Conan.

Given that he's forced to read a youtube comments section, I assume he also feels the need to counter the negativity he has to wade through.

It's just a shame that the originals might become outright memory holed. Hell, even the dipshit writing that article makes it seem like they already are.

Strictly technical, there is nothing they cannot improve using 3D graphics——even if they intentionally made it look 2D.

Here is what a 3D Fallout remaster could look like:

*Of course this does not account for the politically correct nonsense that would infect the project throughout like a bad disease.

For any Fallout remaster to even remotely fit the bill, it would have to be done with mid-90's sensibilities, and a total lack of concern for the modern mainstream's feelings, and their penchant for taking offense—at everything. A proper modern Fallout would be tantamount to a modern remake of Blazing Saddles; both in the best and worst of cases.

—Worst of case being the version they would probably strive to make. :(

Last edited:
Please don't, the last thing I want is to watch the original series get turned into whatever the TV Show is...

Unless something has changed, this is how the games currently are everywhere. My copy of F1 from GOG has the invisible kids in it, or I'm pretty sure that's how it worked last time I checked.
I’m almost positive that the Steam version has killable kids. They’ve always been killable for me, but I haven’t played for a couple years.

As far as Tim Cain’s “limitless positivity” I did hear him mention once that making Fallout 4 about synths, or even having synths exist in the universe at all, surprised him because those designs really don’t jive with the aesthetic style that Fallout robots should have. He said this after telling a story about a concept artist that submitted a design for a terminator-looking robot, well after they had already established the retro-futuristic style that Fallout should have. He rejected the design despite it being well done due to this. All of that is to say, he is capable of criticizing some of the directions that Bethesda has taken the franchise in.

IIRC, the gog versions replaced all of the kids with dogs—at least in Shady Sands, if not elsewhere. Just look for a strange abundance of dogs in the game.

I think a C&C-style remaster would be better. I don't know who would be behind that though, Nightdive? I doubt Bethesda would touch it unless they were full-on remaking it in their style.

I think a C&C-style remaster would be better. I don't know who would be behind that though, Nightdive? I doubt Bethesda would touch it unless they were full-on remaking it in their style.
That would be epic, they did a nice job improving on the original without breaking anything from what I could tell. That is my second favorite series after Fallout. I've always wanted to see what an RTS Fallout would be like.

The game is perfectly playable on modern hardware with some tinkering and the Borderless Gaming program, though I think that would count as a barrier to people who grew up post-smartphone and are completely unfamiliar with "files' and "folders". I'd be perfectly happy with a re-release with these tweaks included, though perhaps this time they should ask permission for the modded files. A proper rebuild on a new engine would be nice, though I worry that changing the engine to something 3D like ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2/3 would remove some of the charm. Even so, if kids are really just that scared of 2D games, it's better than nothing.

Ideally we'd just be using an artistically identical, but better running, old school engine. Something easier to script for. I've literally been waiting for Mutants Rising for 20 years and if we could get this shit done quicker it'd be great.

Wasn't there some ancient open-source rebuild of the Fallout Engine ages ago? IanOut?

I seriously wonder how anyone can find classic fallout confusing. It's easily one of the more accessible 90's rpgs to play and the gameplay is simple and straight forward. If a person has already played fallout 3 or new vegas then they should already have a general idea of how s.p.e.c.i.a.l, perks, skill, and traits work. Like it's not hard to figure out.

The principle reason that Fallout chugs along even today, is the overhead of loading all of those sprites; not just the characters, but the ground, roofs and interiors... not to mention that NPCs are limited to what sprites of them exist. Even a 3D remaster on the level of Temple or Arcanum would alleviate these limitations.

IE. flattened single image landscapes, with 3D character models capable of all game actions, and use of all items and equipment; with shared generic animations, alongside custom actions to suit specific critters & NPCs.

The visuals need not even be distinguishable from the original, aside from efficiency.

Modern 3D would afford a talking head for every character in the game, if so desired.

*But if they wanted to... they really could make fully rotatable maps... akin to Dungeon Keeper 2, or Wasteland 2. (...or of course Van Buren itself; but that goes without saying.)

Last edited:
Back