The origins of the Corvega?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by FeelTheRads, Feb 5, 2005.

1. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Is the Corvega actually made after a real car? In my "researches" I found that the Highwayman was made after the Cadillac El Dorado, but I couldn't find anything about the Corvega.

Anyone knows more?

Edit: I'm not completely sure the Highwayman was made after the Cadillac... it just seems like it was to me...

2. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Formerly known as Ratty Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    Corvette maybe?

3. FeelTheRads

Sep 15, 2004
    Yeah, I thought at that too, but I would like to know the exact model of Corvette it was made after so I can start looking for pictures of it. I DID searched for old Corvette pictures, but didn't found any that resembled the Corvega...

4. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    1957 Corvette.

Classic.

5. FeelTheRads

Sep 15, 2004
  6. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    I guess y'all are too young to remember the Chevy Vega. Obviously Corvega is an combination of Corvette & Vega. Although the Corvega doesn't really resemble either a Corvette or Vega too much, it's obviously a satire on America's obsession with the "bigger is better" school of automotive design of the Pre-gas chrisis era. Inefficient, tasteless, gaudy, but with an obscene amount of HP from a Detroit built powerplant. Just kind of poking fun at American attitudes and taste in vehicles of that era I guess.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it :crazy:

7. Lord 342

Lord 342 Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 21, 2004
    Best I can tell the Corvega bears more resemblance to a mid-60s Corvette; what Corvette nuts call a C-2. Speifically, a Coupe, not a fastback. Notice the lines of the hood (Brought out into a turbine-like intake on the Corvega), the curve of the rear fenders, (Brought out into tailfins on the Corvega) and the back glass. Corvega is bigger, but the roots are there.

The Highwayman is an Imperial, almost certainly. Only the grill and the distinctive rear roofline have changed.

Notice the way the bumper curves around; how the tailfins start in the doors. the obvious lack of a "B" pillar, the large overhangs on the headlighs, and the inner curves of the front and rear fenders.

8. FeelTheRads

Sep 15, 2004
    Great find on the Highwayman! It certainly looks more like the '58 Imperial than like the '56 Eldorado. Heck, they're almost identical!

I had no knowledge about this type of cars before...

9. Lord 342

May 21, 2004
    There are only three changes amongs the Imperial and the highwayman. The tailfans and tail-lights; the roofline and the front grill/bumper assembly. There are two additions; being the "Zoomy" pipes and the Supercharger-like apparatus. The Highwayman in-game is also very, very old so it's missing most of its trim, but you can see near the back where it would start. Perhaps I should try to re-paint one to look as it would from the factory...

10. mouse

mouse First time out of the vault

Feb 14, 2005
    I always took the chrysalis corvega to just be kind of a take on the 'Chrysler Cordoba' from the 70's. Thats just me tho :)

Not really in how the car looks in the game, but rather just name and the impression of the vehicle.

"In small print above the year in "1976 Cordoba," [the brochure] says: The Small Chrysler. Standard seating was a "cahsmere-like knit cloth and vinyl" bench seat with center armrest, the uplevel was the aforementioned velour 60/40 seat configuration. Top of the line was the famous Corinthian leather."

Tho the cordoba was 'cheaper car', as opposed to the $999,999.95 (or whatever) price tag on the Corvega :)

The early corvettes im sure influenced the appearance of the car in the game.

11. mettalhed

mettalhed First time out of the vault

Feb 11, 2005
    The '58 Imperial definitaly looks like the Highwayman. Thanks for the pic comparison. :D

12. octotron

octotron First time out of the vault

Mar 2, 2005
    Actually, Wooz was at least partially correct. The C1 Corvettes of the late 50's had a rounded back with raised sides on which were long tailights. (In '61 they went to the straight-cut backside with round tailights that remains a distinctive Corvette style to this day.)

Corvega loading screen

56 Corvette

58 Corvette

60 Corvette

60 Vette (scale model)

As for the front, it makes me think of the LeSabre concept car.
    51 LeSabre

There is a connection - Harley Earl
    from The Detroit News:
    Sounds like a (pre-war) Fallout kindof guy. :) His Firebird concepts are also good retro-future cars.

As for the name, Chevrolet lines have included the Corvette, Corvair, and Vega. The "Corvega" name seems like an good derivative.

13. Lord 342

May 21, 2004
    I *Completely* forgot the Venerable GM LeSabre, even though my daily driver is the Buick that inherited that name!!! (The LeSabre was a neat car, it burned two fuels and generated combustion by mixing the vapors thereof in the cylinders.)

Anyway, here is the promised "restoration" of a Highwayman:

Just done in MS Paint, no shading or anything, I could do a better job if I just learned how to use the nifty graphics program that came with my new PC...

14. SwapLink

SwapLink First time out of the vault

Nov 29, 2016
    I think if anything it is just the opposite: not satire, but reminiscence of a time when cars looked good and had character. Of course, some were a bit inefficient because of size, but hey, gas was cheap, and technology has improved alot. We make cars smaller for efficiency, but most look dumb and all the same. Someone should start making efficient, good, classic looking cars with new technology.