The soundtrack of New Vegas is S Tier

Vault Dweller Donny

Explorer of the wastes
New Vegas has one of my favorite soundtracks in gaming, some others would be the underrated Ninja Gaiden Black, Oblivion/Skyrim, and Rome Total War,

New Vegas does benefit from a lot of ambient tracks from F1, F2 and F3, but the music from earlier games works and is amazing when in games, and helps connect it to my experiences of F1 and F2, even the new ambient tracks for the game are awesome, I thought that for some reason Dead Money and Old World Blues definitely had the best music, especially around the sink. The western radio songs are iconic now, but the jazz tracks from the mysterious radio are by far my favorite radio songs in the game, one thing about new vegas and the series overall is just how much the music adds to these games and the experiences that come with them.

I found New Vegas soundtrack quite forgettable outside of main theme (Not including radio music, because I don't listen to it). I think Zur is good composer, but he gave his best on Fallout Tactics. His work for Fallout 3, 4 and NV is fine and it gets better in DLC, I really like ambient of Dead Money, but it don't stick in the head like soundtrack from original games. I would even say that some tracks from Fallout Nevada and most of Fallout Sonora and Dayglow soundtrack is better then NV.

I actually can’t think of a single original track from New Vegas that I particularly like. Even the reused Fallout 3 ones were better (the only one that comes to mind is the one used for Novac). I appreciate the attempt to make some western themed tracks but it doesn’t hold a candle to the songs from 1 and 2.

Actually scratch that, the main theme is a highly improved version of Fallout 3’s main theme. But I find the triumphant sounding motif to be very unfitting for the games in general. Desert Wind is the only title screen theme that makes sense.

The New Vegas soundtrack is amazing. I'll admit I don't particularly remember the tracks by name (I really only know a handful of the first game's OST names because of how much it's reused in the series), but I have in mind a list of the ones I particularly enjoy.

Main Title - I think it's the best version of Zur's now-iconic theme for Fallout.
I find the triumphant sounding motif to be very unfitting for the games in general.
I agree with this when it comes to Fallout 3 and 4, but not when it comes to New Vegas. The theme for New Vegas sounds less triumphant and more foreboding, using a mixture of militaristic and tribal undertones which I think compliments the game's conflict with Hoover Dam perfectly. New Vegas is far enough into the post-apocalypse where the more orchestral theme fits well.

Thorn in My Side - Love this track

Mutant Massacre - I genuinely love this track, Zur really leaned into Mark Morgan for this one.

Wasteland Justice - Amazing battle track, like many of the New Vegas battle tracks, I love the tribalistic sound it has. Also Zur's idea to open and end the battle tracks in New Vegas with a rattler tail is genius.

The Viper's Sting - Another great battle track.

And of course I'm in agreement that the radio track listing is amazing.

I would also like to mention the 4 original songs composed for the game.
It's a shame that I Saw Her Yesterday by Dean Domino is just a part of Something's Gotta Give by Bing Crosby and not an original song.

Begin Again from Dead Money/ OWB Mysterious Broadcast.

Lonesome Drifter performs these 3 after you recruit him for The Tops during Talent Pool.

IMO, This was Inon Zur at his best! I wish he would go back to this style of composing, instead of whatever he did with Fallout 4 & "that other game". He should definitely go back to the dark, gritty, atmospheric stuff that he did here, Fallout 3, & of course where it all started for him, Fallout Tactics! :ok:

I'm replaying through the DLCs of New Vegas right now and just started Dead Money. Inon Zur absolutely cooked with this ambient track.

I would also like to mention the 4 original songs composed for the game.
It's a shame that I Saw Her Yesterday by Dean Domino is just a part of Something's Gotta Give by Bing Crosby and not an original song.

Begin Again from Dead Money/ OWB Mysterious Broadcast.

Lonesome Drifter performs these 3 after you recruit him for The Tops during Talent Pool.

Begin Again is obviously really great. The Lonesome Drifter songs - I do really appreciate the hustle of making 3 (semi) original songs, though we must admit they're not that great. Of course they do have a bit of an excuse in that they forgot they had to make these until the last minute, so it was just Josh and some guy with a guitar.

re:I Saw Her Yesterday - I assume you saw, but someone did release a mod that replaces it with an original song. AI generated, but I think it sounds quite good for what it's meant to be, and while it has AI-funkiness in the song that kind of works for the idea of an ancient, degraded recording, and gives a sinister vibe. I like it quite a bit.

Back