The voice acting is intentionally bad

What Bethesda probably does with its voice actors is call them into the studio, hand them a thick binder with the thousands of lines they have to record, and point them to the recording booth where they'll be spending the next few hours. No context for their lines, no direction, no time to even think over what it is they'll be saying. At least I suspect that's how they handle their "regular" voice actors. If behind-the-scenes videos are any indication, they work more closely with the high-profile actors, like Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, etc.
I believe, Brian did all the voiceover (13000 lines) in 2 years, 4 hour a day. With big breaks.

11:20

Also, Nick's voice is so awfully everywhere, like in Skyrim, it gets on the nerves stronger now.

Well, at least Bethesda found an american with Ukranian and Sweden roots for a stereotype russian. Fuck their HRs too. They fucked up with Irish girl voiceover with wrong cast, why not fuck up any other?

And for good old tradition:
Fallout 4 voice cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4741306/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided voice cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4614906/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

One is 8-12h (24-40) long stealth action and the other is 400+ grindfest.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a multimillion corporation can do better since voice acting is something that really could add to the presentation. At least.

No, just a lust for lazyness and pure trolling.

Of course, I mean Obsidian did better in Fallout New Vegas and they are not nearly as big of a company. They just care more about their product than Bethesda does.

To contribute to this discussion I think Bethesda picked some of there acted based outside the franchise. For example in new Vegas the cast of Benny was because he fan of the series. I felt he was also a good voice actor, I din't even know who was same with many of fallouts voice acting. I only recently found out who it was.

I think the reasson I felt the voice acting was poor was because of the voiced PC. I mean this too me felt all of the dialouge felt pretty poor because some of the responses to the dialoguewas just werid. For example when being saractisc to people the general responce was just oh and then just countinue with what they where going to say anyway. That why the voice acting was bad because what they had to do sounded so dam redicluios in many situations. So i don't really balme the voice actors that where called in to do this, THey literally had to read what was written and when of some of it was ridculsious what do you expect ?

I think the reasson I felt the voice acting was poor was because of the voiced PC. I mean this too me felt all of the dialouge felt pretty poor because some of the responses to the dialoguewas just werid. For example when being saractisc to people the general responce was just oh and then just countinue with what they where going to say anyway. That why the voice acting was bad because what they had to do sounded so dam redicluios in many situations. So i don't really balme the voice actors that where called in to do this, THey literally had to read what was written and when of some of it was ridculsious what do you expect ?
Exactly. It could be it - with bland sounding player character (makes it "Less personal" (c) @Risewild signature), bethesda tried to sit on two chair - deliver an "engaging" story and roleplay in a open ended game.

Give some credit! Somehow radiation may have made everyone on the wasteland really stupid!

Magnificent game design!

Give some credit! Somehow radiation may have made everyone on the wasteland really stupid!
And there's no civilization rebuilding apart from shantytowns because the evil Institute killed the brains of society, yes we well aware about all handwaves presenting in FO4. But that's a topic next door.

It's not intentionally bad but it is intentionally atonal.

They make the actors say their lines like they've taken a fist full of ambien so they can copy and paste scenes around in the creation kit at will without any jarring emotional jumps. Bethesda doesn't just let an actor do their craft and let them take creative liberties to make memorable characters, no no no. The actors have to conform themselves into as much of a modular, boilerplate asset as possible like everything else.

The Star Wars prequels also coldly and purposefully exploited talented actors into giving as neutral and lifeless performances as possible so they could be easily clicked and dropped in front of whatever CGI bullshit they wanted at whatever frame of the film they wanted, too. The audience totally didn't pick up on it instantly! And it didn't ruin anyone's careers at all!

Last edited:
Well, another discussion thread. A somewhat plausible but still not great Female Sole Survivor

could be grown from lack of proper direction.
Remember her work on Heather Poe in Vampire: The Masqurade - Bloodlines, for example more understandable.

Yep.

I loved Heather's character, and it proves that Tim Cain and the rest of the folks from Troika had the background to write her lines and direct Hale in such a way to sound as natural as possible within the world and situation they had set up.

Makes me wish Tim was working with InXile or CDProjeckt Red.

I remember how good Voice Acting in New Vegas is, compared to Fallout 4. All the actors sound bland, without any personality or emotion. Except the times when the SS acts like a retarded idiot and shouts at Kellog Cornflakes.

Another fuck up on bethesda's site.

As Zero Punctation Proves my point, but with different company (Capcom):

Listen from 0.10 to 0.15, best tune in the video.

What Bethesda probably does with its voice actors is call them into the studio, hand them a thick binder with the thousands of lines they have to record, and point them to the recording booth where they'll be spending the next few hours. No context for their lines, no direction, no time to even think over what it is they'll be saying. At least I suspect that's how they handle their "regular" voice actors. If behind-the-scenes videos are any indication, they work more closely with the high-profile actors, like Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, etc.

Another major complaint from the actors is the secrecy of the industry. "I can't imagine if there's any other acting job in the world, where you don't know what show you're in, when you're hired," says voice actor Keythe Farley, who chairs the SAG-AFTRAnegotiating committee.

"And yet that happens every day in the video game world," Farley told reporters during a press conference Friday. "I was a main character in Fallout 4, a character by the name of Kellogg, and I never knew, that I was working on Fallout 4 throughout the year and a half that I did vocal recording for that game. You show up, there's a stack of scripts on a music stand with your lines only."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...ce-actors-strike-against-video-game-companies

Another major complaint from the actors is the secrecy of the industry
Is it really that common or Bethesda themselves are ashamed of Fallout 4 this much? I mean, he's not the only one met the secrecy problem.

Is it really that common or Bethesda themselves are ashamed of Fallout 4 this much? I mean, he's not the only one met the secrecy problem.
Why would they? It established Fallout as a mainstream franchise and they've turned it into a money printer. Why be ashamed of a few internet nerds?

Why would they? It established Fallout as a mainstream franchise and they've turned it into a money printer. Why be ashamed of a few internet nerds?

Maybe it was a secret because it's a money printer. Voice actors might ask for more $$$ if it's a successful franchise.

Or for shits and giggles, no idea.

Back