Thoughts on the brotherhood?

They send you on what's effectively a suicide mission before letting you so much as speak to their higher ups. They do clearly have means of keeping people out of their bunker.

Also, they have a very insular perspective: You find out that their Paladins were planning to torch The Hub because they got scammed on a trade deal (Although Elder Maxson stopped them). If Rhombus isn't there to inherit the Eldership, they wage a "Steel Plague" on California and start hoarding tech to themselves.

I think it's made extremely explicit that these are a dangerous bunch with xenophobic attitudes, and the capability to wipe out everyone else, albeit one that can be somewhat reined in if certain people(Maxson, Rhombus) are there to tell them not to do anything stupid.
Fair enough, they were more xenophobic than I gave them credit for. I guess my point was that a lot of the groups in the game (Shady Sands, Khans, Necropolis) seem fairly distrustful of outsiders, but they lack the ability to effectively keep people from wandering into their homes. Also, the Brotherhood has more to lose by letting people in, like cooler shit to steal. But I did forget about that “torching the Hub” thing. I guess Cabot’s politeness just really throws me off, I’m a sucker for good manners.

https://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-morality-ambiguity-of-brotherhood.html

I did an essay on Fallout 3's Brotherhood of Steel and basically suggest as my thesis that Elder Lyons is not nearly as effective a leader as people think and his "heroic" escapades have more or less led to the ruination of his chapter until the LW pulls their ass out of the fire.

Mind you, whenever people shit on the CW Brotherhood, they basically just ignore the Outcasts exist.

Probably because they have no agency outside of existing unless you paid for a DLC.

True but they're still there.

Elder Lyons pissed off half his army into deserting. I also like how they'll just straight up murder you if you claim to be BOS.

https://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-morality-ambiguity-of-brotherhood.html

I did an essay on Fallout 3's Brotherhood of Steel and basically suggest as my thesis that Elder Lyons is not nearly as effective a leader as people think and his "heroic" escapades have more or less led to the ruination of his chapter until the LW pulls their ass out of the fire.

Mind you, whenever people shit on the CW Brotherhood, they basically just ignore the Outcasts exist.
Lyons wasn't a very good leader. He split off his main directive and caused a lot of deaths that could've been avoided had the brotherhood done what they were supposed to do. I actually liked the Outcast schism and wish they had done more with it. I think of a Fallout 3 with proper factions like New Vegas and having the Enclave, Outcasts, and main Brotherhood as the big 3 that you could side with and ultimately give control of the wasteland over to be a more interesting idea than what we got with Lyons "Lawful Good" Brotherhood gave us.

Lyons wasn't a very good leader. He split off his main directive and caused a lot of deaths that could've been avoided had the brotherhood done what they were supposed to do. I actually liked the Outcast schism and wish they had done more with it. I think of a Fallout 3 with proper factions like New Vegas and having the Enclave, Outcasts, and main Brotherhood as the big 3 that you could side with and ultimately give control of the wasteland over to be a more interesting idea than what we got with Lyons "Lawful Good" Brotherhood gave us.

No, he wasn't, which was the point of my essay but what Maxson did with what Lyons accomplished (and the Lone Wanderer) is disgusting and actually makes the whole thing a tragedy. Mind you, you actually have to care about the Brotherhood of Steel on the East Coast to care about Maxson undoing all of Lyon's reforms except the ones that allow them to replenish their lost numbers but it actually makes the whole thing more interesting than F3 alone.

Because the series canonized the Minutemen/Brotherhood ending, Maxson gets to bring back a bunch of BOS recruits to revive the West Coast chapter and help them slaughter their enemies.

I've already talked to you about this Yoss, but...

• Weird focus on Latin names
  • Tribalistic rituals never before seen in the BOS
  • Weird specific line about the significance of the color Red
  • New BOS flag that's literally red with a gold insignia
  • New Cleric rank
  • Leader Cleric old guy literally looking like Caesar
Anyone else get really weird and heavy Legion vibes from the TV show's Brotherhood of Steel?

Legion BOS.png

Last edited:
Back