Tim Cain's Unofficial Involvement with Fallout 3: Van Buren's Cancellation.

TheKingofVault14

Fallout Fan For Life!

So, what do you guys think of this revelation?

Personally for me not only is it interesting,(of course) but it also shows how badly Interplay Entertainment was struggling financially during that particular point in time.

And as Tim put in the video, they've would've cancelled it either way, whether he said anything or not.

:ok: :? :sad: :-x

I can't blame Tim for being honest, and if what he said in the video is true about how his playtesting gave Fallout 3 the slightest chance to be saved rather than just being executed immediately, then there's nothing really to blame him for as he at least tried.

Ah yes. The man who single handedly crafted his own engine from scratch for fun, making one of the most beloved RPGs of all time as a side hobby with his friends, leaving and founding his own company, making yet another monumental RPG, and is highly respected in the industry for his creativity and talent, isn't talented because he made one game you disliked.

I didn't particularly like The Outer Worlds either, but come on now lol.

Ah yes. The man who single handedly crafted his own engine from scratch for fun, making one of the most beloved RPGs of all time as a side hobby with his friends, leaving and founding his own company, making yet another monumental RPG, and is highly respected in the industry for his creativity and talent, isn't talented because he made one game you disliked.

I didn't particularly like The Outer Worlds either, but come on now lol.
Brian Fargo is better, yes. I'll admit I'm being excessively harsh but Tim Cain is excessively praised because he is active on the internet and interacts with the public like Josh Sawyer. Wasteland 2&3 > The Outer Slop

Brian Fargo is better, yes. I'll admit I'm being excessively harsh but Tim Cain is excessively praised because he is active on the internet and interacts with the public like Josh Sawyer. Wasteland 2&3 > The Outer Slop
Again, one game you dislike doesn't negate Tim Cain's entire career showcasing his talent. Not to mention, he didn't make the game all by himself. There was an entire team on the game that made practically everything else. Tim wasn't responsible for the gunplay nor the graphics nor the music nor the programming or even the writing. As a matter of fact, Leonard Boyarsky has sole credit for writing, with Tim helping out on the side but mostly focusing on direction and scripting on the side. Also, no matter how bland TOW was, it was still above and beyond the RPG that Fallout 4 was, so he clearly still has a talent for making roleplaying games actual roleplaying games.

And I agree that Brian Fargo is talented, without him there would be no Interplay, Fallout wouldn't have it's name, and games like Baldur's Gate wouldn't have been made. But Brian Fargo being talented doesn't somehow erase Tim's talent, not sure what correlation you were going for there. There are plenty of examples of Brian Fargo mismanaging Interplay as well, I mean just look how that company ended and you'll see for yourself, but that doesn't erase his talent either.

And as you say for yourself, Tim Cain is online on YouTube where even in semi-retirement he uploads daily videos showcasing and discussing his talented career.

Again, one game you dislike doesn't negate Tim Cain's entire career showcasing his talent. Not to mention, he didn't make the game all by himself. There was an entire team on the game that made practically everything else. Tim wasn't responsible for the gunplay nor the graphics nor the music nor the programming or even the writing. As a matter of fact, Leonard Boyarsky has sole credit for writing, with Tim helping out on the side but mostly focusing on direction and scripting on the side. Also, no matter how bland TOW was, it was still above and beyond the RPG that Fallout 4 was, so he clearly still has a talent for making roleplaying games actual roleplaying games.

And I agree that Brian Fargo is talented, without him there would be no Interplay, Fallout wouldn't have it's name, and games like Baldur's Gate wouldn't have been made. But Brian Fargo being talented doesn't somehow erase Tim's talent, not sure what correlation you were going for there. There are plenty of examples of Brian Fargo mismanaging Interplay as well, I mean just look how that company ended and you'll see for yourself, but that doesn't erase his talent either.

And as you say for yourself, Tim Cain is online on YouTube where even in semi-retirement he uploads daily videos showcasing and discussing his talented career.
Yeah except we shouldn't take one guy's word as Gospel. I agree he's talented but the dude refused to take any responsibility for years until he met Brian Fargo at some Fallout TV Show event and told Cain that a lot of his fans were harassing him

Yeah except we shouldn't take one guy's word as Gospel. I agree he's talented but the dude refused to take any responsibility for years until he met Brian Fargo at some Fallout TV Show event and told Cain that a lot of his fans were harassing him
Again, what's the correlation to the post I originally replied to? First you claim Tim isn't all that talented, citing a game you dislike as "proof". Then you double down, claiming Brian Fargo existing somehow proves his lack of talent. Now you're talking about something completely unrelated, blaming him for something completely out of his control.

Also, what exactly would he need to take responsibility for? What exactly did he "refuse" to do? He told his side of the story on his channel, what his parasocial audience does outside of that isn't on him. As you said, he didn't even know people were harassing Brian Fargo until they met at the Fallout TV show event when Brian told him of this, and even then I recall him talking about this meeting in a video where immediately clarifies that he doesn't support that behavior and that there are no villains in business.

To the point, no one is perfect. Tim is talented, but that doesn't mean he's incapable of falling short. Brian Fargo is talented, but that doesn't mean he never mismanaged people's livelihood (same with Tim at Troika). And an old guy with a YouTube channel talking about his career doesn't implicate him in his weird fan's parasocial behavior.

Last edited:
Back