Todd doesn't get it

When I hear Survival Horror I think Stalker or Resident Evil.

Either way Fallout is neither of those. I do think Stalker looks cool though, but we don't need 2 Stalker type games with different names.

If I want to play Stalker or Resident Evil, I will play Stalker or Resident Evil. Not a clone.

What I would like to play is a faithfull trilogy to a cult classic, that has already proved it can sell very well overtime.

Besides, Resident Evil games sucked. Except maybe the very first one.

Perhaps Todd is just an idiot and confused the terms Surval Horror and Survivalist.

This is the part where I say that's probably wishful thinking, but considering Producers, it wouldn't be.

Besides, Resident Evil games sucked. Except maybe the very first one.

:(

All I know is... the more I hear... the more I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Hard M could mean as was said, a bunch of cussing and violence or what not... In all honesty, the M rating does not excite me at all. Whoopie-do-da.

I just want another Fallout that is like FALLOUT.... not another Tactics, certainly not another POS.

But that means that there is a certain style that needs to be maintain, a certain way of doing things, handling things, having combat... ect ect...

I just hope they get it...

Well, off I go back into my huddle of hoping and hoping and trying to be optimistic and trying to wait until I see something real.

First let me give credit to psycho sniper for being the first on this thread to point out the obvious:
PsychoSniper said:
Damn, Bethesda's PR really sucks.
:clap:

And i do agree this seems too much like they already made up their minds about some important aspects, and now are just pushing those in slowly. Thats bad news enough, even without commenting on some of the stupid secondary statements made in that answer (if you really need something, look at my sig)

There is not much to reveal yet about the game's storyline, but its SPECIAL character system, and it's gritty drug-and-prostitute-speckled irreverence is still at the core.

"I'd say the impact the original had in its day was about so much more then the angle you viewed it at, or how combat was executed"
If that's not the wake-up call for at least half the people on this forum, then I don't know what is. Come on guys, this is the same stuff that's happened before. Remember the time of "Fallout Fantasy"...

Gonchi said:
Survival Horror-esque?! :wtf:

Am I the only one visualizing a Bethesda suit chucking Morrowind and their new Cthutulu game into a blender and pulling out Fallout 3?

I'll admit this made me cringe - a lot. But again, I'll wait and see.

And Rosh, the comparison w/ EA (uhg), Origin and Ultima was not lost on me. I agree with what you're saying. I'm just hoping this won't fall under the same cow pie avalanche.

The guy at Bethesda said "it`s all about survival" and the console kid that did the piece decided to write "it`s like a survival horror lol".

No matter my doubts at the moment, this particular incident wasn`t Bethesda fault, but an intereting sign of how weak many mainstream gaming so called reporters are these days.

A rather funny incident though :)

all news should go to the competent NMA newsposters!

forget magazines, forget stupid game websites, go NMA!

:p

Briosafreak said:
The guy at Bethesda said "it`s all about survival" and the console kid that did the piece decided to write "it`s like a survival horror lol".

Well, that's reassuring, both about the quality of the guys at bethesda, and the incompetence of the gaming press in general (particularly the console oriented mags).

Briosafreak said:

I think I pointed out how completely shitbag Game Informer was, already. I'm not surprised, but the clarification comes from through the grapevine.

And where was PR?

No matter my doubts at the moment, this particular incident wasn`t Bethesda fault, but an intereting sign of how weak many mainstream gaming so called reporters are these days.

A rather funny incident though :)

And where was PR? They didn't make sure to see the final piece before it was published? Or were they getting too wide of a grin from having their ass licked every time they answered the phone?

Great, now we'll have the console retards who read Game Informer wander in here, asking misinformed questions because some article jock decided to cram something through a Word thesaurus but otherwise can't be bothered to give an informed article.

Just as soon as they figure out a browser.

With news like these someone will have a heart attack sooner or later!

Some find this unthinkable but do as I did some time ago: forget FO3 and expect great things from Troika's games and other post apocalyptic games. It will ease your pain people.

Francisco M L S G S said:
With news like these someone will have a heart attack sooner or later!
We should make a "heart attack" pool. I vote for Roshambo.

Some find this unthinkable but do as I did some time ago: forget FO3 and expect great things from Troika's games and other post apocalyptic games. It will ease your pain people
I'm well beyond that whole "expect great things from Troika" phase. Infact, i don't think the series would have had much better luck in their hands (What would be the chances of they being able to sell an ISO, TB game to a publisher?) Also, troika's 2 games didn't really do much for me. Never finished ToEE (tough i still think about trying again sometimes) and only managed to play through arcanum once, and i basically rushed through the game to see the ending (using a half-ogre fighter, nothing less)[/quote]

being a rare half ogre birth + mage = easiest way to get through Arcanum without having to really try in my opinion.
so i wonder why you say "nothing less".

Arcanum also had one of the best stories of that year, however the combat system was severely lacking.

although ToEE was a HUGE pain in the ass unpatched, i say it's an "ok" game. lacking a good story but had epic combat.

kinda weird though:
Arcanum: good story, bad combat
ToEE: bad story, good combat
i'm kinda hoping the PA game they are planning will have both :p

although i'm not really a big Troika fanboy (just a small one ;) ), i do believe that they were our best shot at making an authentic FO3.
i hope Beth will prove me wrong.

Also, troika's 2 games didn't really do much for me. Never finished ToEE (tough i still think about trying again sometimes) and only managed to play through arcanum once, and i basically rushed through the game to see the ending (using a half-ogre fighter, nothing less)

Never had the chance to buy ToEE so I can't comment but Arcanum deserves a second opinion from you :) .

Arcanum: good story, bad combat
ToEE: bad story, good combat

...So they can't get it wrong at the 3rd atempt.

Here's the full article:
Fall(out)ing in Love Again
Bethesda resurrects Interplays dusty but fondly remembered role-playing series.
Cindy Yans
Computer Games Magazine
October 04

Only in the bizarre world of role-playing game fanaticism would the salvaging of a beloved game franchise by an experienced and successful developer be greeted with howls of anguish and wails of disbelief. Yet when Bethesda, makers of the successful and critically acclaimed Elder Scrolls series, acquired the rights to make the third Fallout game from moribund Interplay, that's precisely what happened. Web boards overheated. Flame wars burned. Moderators banned. Blood fell from the sky. You would have thought that Fallout 3 had been cancelled, not saved.

So why did Bethesda's Todd Howard seem so happy to have taken on the task of creating the third of the wasteland's holy trinity? "We always talked about doing another RPG, something different than Elder Scrolls, that held the same things true that we love, player choice, open-endedness, great characters and such," he says. "So we would always talk about doing something like Fallout, because we liked it so much." The game is being developed alongside the next Elder Scrolls game, and like it's deep and intricate Morrowind, will be available on PCs and consoles as well. "We're fluent now on XBOX and PC," he says, "and new tools like Microsoft's XNA should speed development on both platforms."

There's not much to reveal yet about the games storyline, or even it's style of play or visual representation, but it's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. character system, and it's gritty drug-and-prostitute-speckled irreverence is still at the core; "I don't plan on tempering it. I think we're looking at a hard M [rating]. We new that going in," says Howard. The biggest challenge is "to create something for today's market that has the same impact that Fallout had on gaming in 1997," and to that end, Howard is looking to capture the feel and essence of the original title. "I'd say the impact the original had in it's day was about so much more than the angle you viewed it at, or how combat was executed." As for the rest, including turn-based or real-time combat, isometric or first-person perspective, and the like, Howard isn't saying yet. "To early to say" is his standard reply, and no wonder. Anything more might get the lynch mob fired up yet again.
Thanks to an anonymous source..

Back