Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn

matthewfarmery

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I thought I would post this as a heads up on two indie PC games incoming, at least next year. The first one is Torchlight 2 http://www.torchlight2game.com/ and a gameplay footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UcMo2YeIdE&feature=related

looks good, I loved Torchlight, hopefully, 2 will be even better, will have four new classes, full modding support, and a lot more, should be one to keep your eyes on,

However

There is another game coming, its in pre Alpha at the moment, called Grim Dawn, Anyone here know Titan Quest? a diablo 2 clone, which I think was better then D2, it was made by a company that went under a while ago called Iron Lore, (you can pick up the game and its expansion on steam and a few other places) it also has loads of mods, and a fan made patch, but anyway, GD is made by some of the devs that did TQ, as they come together to form a new company called Crate
http://www.grimdawn.com/

they are taking pre orders for the game, (and depending if you want to help them in the Alpha / beta or just want the game, (legendary, epic then normal

it was done to allow fans to show their support, the game is looking good so far, so check out the media section, some very good screenshots and a early vid, don't know how many classes will be in the game, but there will be guns in the game, along with grenades, (been conformed they will use physics and you can bounce them around corners (NEAT!!!) it will also be possible if hard to do, is to knock projectiles out of mid air, plus there will be chain healing shaman, who will run away if you try and attack them,

can't say when this game will be out, but the Alpha is planned next year, certainly looking forward to this one, and as D3 may not be as good as I hoped it might be, plus they seemed to have made a lot of changes to the core game, level cap will be 60, so expect over priced expansions which will take ages to come out anyway, but with the two above games coming out, I don't think I need to play D3, and SC2 was a major disappointment anyway

anyway, just a heads up of a couple of good games coming soon

its been a while since I last visited that website, didn't realise that PW has a majority share in Runic now, this could end up either bad or good, Runic not been in existence that long, I hope they don't go under as I hope they will continue, but if PW push them too far, and runic start making crap games, then they will, and like so many before them,

so yes, I share you concerns about PW buying Runic,

but still, lets hope Crate don't make the same mistakes, as Im really looking forward to GD, even more then TL2 in fact, and even vastly more then D3, as while it may not be a flop, I think it will be a white elephant, or something that people may not automatically like, especially after the release of SC2, which I didn't like at all

just been reading more and more mixed stuff about D3, Im not sure its going to live up top the hype, especially after so long, and that its been in development for ages, one game I may completely miss, beside with TL2 and GD, I think I will be happy for a long time, me thinks :D

I'm an excessive comma user at times. It's okay.

Some people consider improper grammar a blasphemy, which, IMO, isn't such a bad thing in this day and age.

Anyway, back on topic of diablo clones, I think the genre needs to do away with the whole "Get a suit of +magic find". I hate that mechanic. There should be no stat or item that affects a characters ability to find better items. The focus of the games should be to go out and be rewarded for advancing, not taking an extra 10 hours to find items that help you get "better" items.

List of games off top of head that have this:

Diablo 1/2
Sacred
Titan Quest? I forget.
Demons Souls
Torchlight AFAIK.

The focus of the games should be to go out and be rewarded for advancing, not taking an extra 10 hours to find items that help you get "better" items.

But then you turn a Diablo clone into an actual (action)RPG. Diablo and its clones, on the other hand, are all about min/maxing the skills and finding the best items.

I only played the Torchlight demo but it was pretty cool, except for the fishing minigame. I look forward to them building off of it, adding and improving the core game. I'm especially pleased to see multiplayer in it, though I seem to remember reading that the next Torchlight game was going to be a MMO back when Torchlight was released.

Titan Quest was a giant disappointment due to being inferior to Diablo 2 so my excitement for a spiritual successor is neigh non-existent. That said, at least its setting is conceptually more interesting but I feel that Titan Quest's setting could have been fine, it was just executed poorly.

Diablo 3 is still on the top of my Rougelike watch list.

Yeah I agree, I am a min-maxer at heart, but something strikes me as unfun about wearing gear that totally gimps your character in order to find better gear.

The true payoff will be used for what? the last 10th of the game>? Or the last 10th of the third playthrough?

Instead of wearing gear that gimps me in order to have the +magic find stat, I say do away with that entirely in favor of something fun.

Perhaps every few areas has a "challenge" IE. defeat this area in X amount of time, or kill this many foes before so and so happens, or save this many peasants ect. and if you succeed, you get a class item based off your level.

Anything like that, thats a one shot deal, non repeatable.

Because at the end of the day, the current system caters to people willing to spend many many hours gearing up, when, for someone like me at least, I'd have gotten bored of the whole charade wayyyyy before even having a chance of getting the best items.

Well I thought TQ was better then D2, but that's just me. I think the drop system in TQ was better, mainly because certainly bosses could drop certain gear, (more chance of) one boss could drop weapons, another higher chance of amulets and rings, while the secret passage could drop most stuff, but even then decent stuff was still pretty rare.

The one thing that did annoy me with D2, even with magic find gear, (which was capped with one of the patches) but most of the good stuff had a extremely remote chance of getting, even with MF, that only imprived the odds by so much. So you end up doing thousands of runs for a few decent bits, but they never drop, I just felt the drop / chance system in D2 was flawed, and if you use a drop calculator, then nearly always the best gear / chance of, is usually the last few bosses on Hell difficultly, and many were MP only. so most of the gear could probably be successfully obtained in MP, which I haven't do or interested in.

if the drop rates for good stuff was more, then MF gear wouldn't be needed

thats my view

mobucks said:
Instead of wearing gear that gimps me in order to have the +magic find stat, I say do away with that entirely in favor of something fun.

Perhaps every few areas has a "challenge" IE. defeat this area in X amount of time, or kill this many foes before so and so happens, or save this many peasants ect. and if you succeed, you get a class item based off your level.
I agree, it's bullshit. There's no reason not to just have bosses/minibosses drop it rather than making something special for it.

mobucks said:
Anything like that, thats a one shot deal, non repeatable.
What's wrong with it being repeatable?

matthewfarmery said:
Well I thought TQ was better then D2, but that's just me. I think the drop system in TQ was better, mainly because certainly bosses could drop certain gear, (more chance of) one boss could drop weapons, another higher chance of amulets and rings, while the secret passage could drop most stuff, but even then decent stuff was still pretty rare.
The drop system may be better but the gameplay is inferior in my opinion. I didn't think that the classes/skils were as interesting and I felt that the pacing wasn't as good.

non repeatable so as to increase the tension of trying to win and aquire a good item. IE better items given to one shot deals as opposed to a repeatable dungeon.

Broadly similar to the crystal geckoes in Demons Souls.

matthewfarmery said:
just been reading more and more mixed stuff about D3, Im not sure its going to live up top the hype, especially after so long, and that its been in development for ages, one game I may completely miss, beside with TL2 and GD, I think I will be happy for a long time, me thinks :D

Don't kid yourself, Diablo 3 will sell millions, be a stellar success with in all likelihood several expansions, make people completely disregard the clones except in purist circles, and completely plunder and pillage my social life once again.

Disregard the naysayers who are always complaining about the graphics or other such issues and who claim to be long time D2 fans. These same people will be some of the first to buy the game. Kinda like how the majority of pre-orders for Left 4 Dead 2 were in the anti Left 4 Dead 2 union :P.

yes it will sell millions, that I know, Im just not sure if I will get it or not, especially both it and its expansions will take some time still and will be pretty expensive to boot. That is what Im saying

I may pick it up when its cheaper or I've read some solid reviews, but after playing and been disappointed with SC2, Im not going to make the same mistake twice, going to wait and see. And with GD and TL2, I will be happy for a while, so maybe once D3 does drop in price, and a few reviews, I may pick it up, just have to wait and see

Back