TV Series Retcon Thread

In Bethesda lore the introduction of the T-60 is what turns the tide of the Yangtze Campaign and makes victory in the ground war possible. It's one of the triggers for the Great War, since America's refusal to negotiate created the conditions for MAD. It's insane how much the show breaks Bethesda lore in addition to the original games. If the T-60 had a design flaw that straightforward, the Chinese would have exploited it and things would have turned out differently.
I thought, as per the Fort Strong terminals in 4, it was still the deployment of T-51b that "turned the tide" in the Yangtze.

Not sure what the details are, but the point still stands. The T-51 also would have had that bad weld if the T-60 still has it.
Dunno, the T-51 looks visually quite different from the T-45, and the T-60 looks more like a beefier T-45 than a T-51. Maybe the T-51 was the proper power armor, but then they went and tried for cheaper mass production with the T-60 and took many elements from the T-45, including bad welds.
The whole lore around the T-60 is a mess, mainly based around Bethesda wanting their own "original" design reminiscent of their Fallout 3 armor to be featured in the pre-war scenes. They could have made it make much more sense if the T-60 had been a BOS-made refit/improvement of T-45 suits, but no, it had to be pre-war. Like the X-01 for the Nuka World reward.
And so the whole lore gets borked more and more with each installment.

Yeah it's all a big fat mess. Logical explanations beg reasonable questions with no good answers. I really get the feeling this was a rough draft script if not a first draft. There's no way they did any revisions in the writing room.

Not necessarily a retcon, but I feel like we are never fully told what remains of the Enclave, according to the show they still have settlement size laboratories. The latest games convinced me that all were dead apart from maybe a group in the Midwest.

Not necessarily a retcon, but I feel like we are never fully told what remains of the Enclave, according to the show they still have settlement size laboratories. The latest games convinced me that all were dead apart from maybe a group in the Midwest.

The Enclave bouncing back isn't that hard to believe, the problem is that it's lame and we've seen the Enclave before already.

ED-E was given coordinates to reach the Enclave base in Navarro, so Enclave members still had details on their base network across the country by the time of Fallout 3. Any Enclave officer with enough knowledge and authority could have pieced together enough remnants to form what we see at the beginning of Episode 2. The big problem is, they've been defeated twice already, which means that they must've had to open up recruitment to wastelanders. The Enclave should be a very different org compared to what it was in the games, but I doubt it.

It occurs to me that Mr. House is another retcon. Mr. House says in New Vegas that he predicted the Great War was inevitable about a decade ahead of time (with his prediction being off by two years), which still holds true if this conspiracy was shortly before the war. However, if Mr. House was a co-conspirator then he intended to kill off everyone on the surface too. But House had planned on having a comprehensive laser defense system to protect New Vegas, which the platinum chip was only 20 hours too early to fully bring online. Why would Mr. House agree to be party to the conspiracy when he already intended to save the Mojave from nuclear devastation? He could have potentially saved parts of California and Arizona as well.

That's also another big flaw with Vault-Tec's whole plan. They basically have no way to control any of their co-conspirators, so if they plan on saving a bunch of people that aren't in the Vault-Tec gameplan then they have no way to stop it.

It occurs to me that Mr. House is another retcon. Mr. House says in New Vegas that he predicted the Great War was inevitable about a decade ahead of time (with his prediction being off by two years), which still holds true if this conspiracy was shortly before the war. However, if Mr. House was a co-conspirator then he intended to kill off everyone on the surface too. But House had planned on having a comprehensive laser defense system to protect New Vegas, which the platinum chip was only 20 hours too early to fully bring online. Why would Mr. House agree to be party to the conspiracy when he already intended to save the Mojave from nuclear devastation? He could have potentially saved parts of California and Arizona as well.

That's also another big flaw with Vault-Tec's whole plan. They basically have no way to control any of their co-conspirators, so if they plan on saving a bunch of people that aren't in the Vault-Tec gameplan then they have no way to stop it.

That and if he knew this was happening, or even just a possibility, he would have gotten the Platinum Chip fast-tracked to ensure the Lucky 38 was ready to shut down the nukes, not be denied it by 20 hours and have to struggle with outages.

Last edited:

I mean, Mister House having insider trading information about the apocalypse that he attributes to his own genius predicting is about the most accurate tech bro/Howard Hughes sort of thing they could have done and perfectly in-character. I don't think it's actually a bad change.

It also makes perfect sense for both House and Sinclair to make their own plans for surviving the war in luxurious style as well as give a sense of what the "ruling class" intended to do while the rest of the world burned as an organized plan.

That and if he knew this was happening, or even just a possibility, he would have gotten the Platinum Chip fast-tracked to ensure the Lucky 38 was ready to shut down the nukes, not be denied it by 20 hours and have to struggle with outages.

I mean the whole point is that House thought he had it down to a science but he's not as perfect as he thinks he is. Maybe the Platinum Chip delivery boy stopped for lunch.

There's nothing more stupid in fiction than planners who are portrayed as never suffering setbacks from just reality working that way.

I mean, Mister House having insider trading information about the apocalypse that he attributes to his own genius predicting is about the most accurate tech bro/Howard Hughes sort of thing they could have done and perfectly in-character. I don't think it's actually a bad change.

It also makes perfect sense for both House and Sinclair to make their own plans for surviving the war in luxurious style as well as give a sense of what the "ruling class" intended to do while the rest of the world burned as an organized plan.

Do you not understand how this is literally a retcon? New Vegas both predates the TV show and was written by different people with experience from the original games. It has a primary canonicity which the TV show has no claim to, regardless of the law. You might as well be saying the Brian Herbert novels are canon too.

Or they were given false info because Vault-Tec planned on betraying them all along. Because that is their whole master plan after all, being the only faction left in the world. Something they told everyone at the table, so everyone should know that the conditions proposed for the post-apocalypse is a battle royale where winner takes all. So why not anticipate betrayal?

Everyone is conveniently stupid when the plot demands it. It's so fucking insulting to the viewer's intelligence, and yet millions of people ate this shit up.

Do you not understand how this is literally a retcon? New Vegas both predates the TV show and was written by different people with experience from the original games. It has a primary canonicity which the TV show has no claim to, regardless of the law. You might as well be saying the Brian Herbert novels are canon too.

I literally referred to it as a retcon and consider it directly different from clarification. I feel it makes the story better and said as much.

Or they were given false info because Vault-Tec planned on betraying them all along. Because that is their whole master plan after all, being the only faction left in the world.

Of which all of the world's largest corporations and their ruling class are now part of. Yes. It's an enclave to survive the end of the world. Personally, I do hope they go with the idea they're one in the same.

Something they told everyone at the table, so everyone should know that the conditions proposed for the post-apocalypse is a battle royale where winner takes all. So why not anticipate betrayal?

Yes, corporations versus everyone else.

Everyone is conveniently stupid when the plot demands it. It's so fucking insulting to the viewer's intelligence, and yet millions of people ate this shit up.

They wouldn't have invited them to be part of the Businessman's Plot 2.0 if they weren't all in this together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Man, the Business Plot was a planned coup against the Presidency because American businessmen thought the New Deal was going too far, not a plot to literally destroy capitalism and the entire world. There's no sense of proportionality or context in anything you say.

Turning House into a saturday morning cartoon villain is the exact opposite of this.

Yes, being the only person who points out the ethical and infrastructure issues does this.

House never agrees to the plan and isn't part of it.

However, he does have foreknowledge of it....which he already did.

House doesn't have any ethical objections, all of his concerns are practical. None of the practical issues with the dumbass plan raised by Leon or House are ever satisfied, yet we're left with the impression that they went along with it. Since after all, the Vault-Tec plan IS realized and the Great War DOES happen, so obviously nobody stopped Vault-Tec even thought they all knew what was happening.

House doesn't have any ethical objections, all of his concerns are practical. None of the practical issues with the dumbass plan raised by Leon or House are ever satisfied, yet we're left with the impression that they went along with it. Since after all, the Vault-Tec plan IS realized and the Great War DOES happen, so obviously nobody stopped Vault-Tec even thought they all knew what was happening.

Yes, House says he had no interest in saving the world (and couldn't if he'd wanted to) but he did try to save Vegas.

He mostly succeeded.

Turning House into a saturday morning cartoon villain is the exact opposite of this.

It doesn't, it destroys those characters and that's impressive because the scene is three minutes long. I have seen entire movies kill characters less efficiently.
It was also super in-character for the guy who was all about probabilities in NV to be "Uuuuh don't give me probabilities gimme certainty".

It was also super in-character for the guy who was all about probabilities in NV to be "Uuuuh don't give me probabilities gimme certainty".

Yes, because a billionaire using insider trading information is less realistic than "I predicted it down to the last 24 hours because I AM SO SMART. With MATH. Which gives me superpowers."

:whatever:

It's fucking ridiculous and it's fucking ridiculous in New Vegas. We just let it go because the rest of the game is so good.

Yes, because a billionaire using insider trading information is less realistic than "I predicted it down to the last 24 hours because I AM SO SMART. With MATH. Which gives me superpowers."

:whatever:

It's fucking ridiculous and it's fucking ridiculous in New Vegas. We just let it go because the rest of the game is so good.
I said nothing about realism, I said something about characterisation. House in NV often talks about probabilities, predictions, and calculations. It's his big thing.
But the first thing he says in the show is that he doesn't deal in probabilities, he wants certainty.
Also, sure, his insider knowledge would be more realistic, but then it'd be rather silly that he was off by a day, and while we don't know the time that has passed between the TV meeting and the War, it couldn't have been that long. House in New Vegas states that he had worked since around 2065 to prepare for the War, with special computers and laser defences and bunkers and, of course, the platinum chip.
Given that we have no reason to assume that House is lying about all of this in NV, I'd say that is quite a bit of a retcon.

That's not Mr. House in the TV show, that's Monsieur Abode. A failed clone of the original House that behaves and says nothing like the character in New Vegas.

Back