Two (now four) sfall scripting questions

Ardent said:
And when Timeslip has time to do something about it, I'd release a small patch fixing it.
You all just want to keep pulling me back, don't you. ;)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna still include this. It'll be an option in the installer though, since I know I'd get people asking about not wanting to be forced to use it. It's flavor to the game and goes well I might add. Pixote is always the master of graphics. :)

killap said:
You all just want to keep pulling me back, don't you. ;)

25.jpg

If once you start down the Fallout modding path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

I'll just gravedig this thread as a general sfall scripting questions thread (especially as my question is related to the first one here).

sfall function notes said:
get/set_proto_data are used to manipulate the in memory copies of the .pro files fallout makes when they are loaded. The offset refers to the offset in memory from the start of the proto to the element you are reading, and is equal to the file offset minus 12.

I'm trying to change an item proto's cost; I've found the relevant offset here, namely 0x0030, but I haven't the slightest idea how to take this and go "minus 12". I tried some of the obvious (i.e. 0x0018, etc.) options, but it didn't work.

Does someone with some basic knowledge of hex editing know what the correct value is? (I'm pretty sure I don't need to use Nirran's elaborate method mentioned here, given that I already know the offset).

JimTheDinosaur said:
namely 0x0030, but I haven't the slightest idea how to take this and go "minus 12". I tried some of the obvious (i.e. 0x0018, etc.) options, but it didn't work.
0x0030 minus 12 would be 0x0024, not 0x0018 as hex is 16 based.
Anyway, Nirran said sfall wants decimal values and not hex if I understood him correctly. So 0x0030 = 48, and 48-12 would be 36.
Have you tried that already?

Darek said:
0x0030 minus 12 would be 0x0024, not 0x0018 as hex is 16 based.
Anyway, Nirran said sfall wants decimal values and not hex if I understood him correctly. So 0x0030 = 48, and 48-12 would be 36.
Have you tried that already?

Yeah, I'd tried that one after some googling but I had no idea whether I was on the right track. Nirran (or someone else) also mentioned that the minus 12 is not always the exact right one for all proto types, so I'll try some approximate values and see if I strike lucky. But thanks!

EDIT: Well, I tried 20-50 and no dice yet, will try more later today

EDIT: Found it! It's 120 for some reason. Maybe we should make a database of these values, because it seems clear that the -12 rule doesn't always apply.

Back