Unique per weapon sound replacement.

Hicks233

First time out of the vault
I've been able to unpack the game's .bos files, editor is working and I've got a nice collection of weapon sound effects ready. Question; is it possible to create new sound references for each weapon (as opposed to the blanket heavy/light smg etc) that can be imported into the editor? If yes, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Weapons sounds works by types, one sound set for each type, but you can create as many weapon types you want with a program called FT Improver. Download this, and you will be able to modify a file called WeaponSoundTypes.txt in the folder Improver_data. Now. To have these new sounds in effect, you will have to always launch the game via FT Improver.exe, and not BOS.exe. With Improver, there are many new things you can do also, like having an unlimited amount of new types or armor, ammos, attack modes, impact sounds (not just weapon sounds) and else!

Weapons sounds works by types, one sound set for each type, but you can create as many weapon types you want with a program called FT Improver. Download this, and you will be able to modify a file called WeaponSoundTypes.txt in the folder Improver_data. Now. To have these new sounds in effect, you will have to always launch the game via FT Improver.exe, and not BOS.exe. With Improver, there are many new things you can do also, like having an unlimited amount of new types or armour, ammos, attack modes, impact sounds (not just weapon sounds) and else!
Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Ok, I've ran into a problem.

I tested that the sound files I have work by renaming them to match existing sounds and putting them in the core/sound/game directory. They play successfully.

I've got a new Weapon Sound Type named "S1" that's entered within the () in its relevant section in the file in the Improver directory. When I open the Entity Editor it is present and recognised. I select it as the Sound Type for the Snipers Rifle and save the entity.

I rename those files that I wish to use within the core/sound/game directory with the prefix S1 in place of their original name e.g. "Sniper" to match the Weapon Sound Type so Snipersingle1.wav becomes S1single1.wav. This is where I've hit the stumbling block. Once testing them in game they do not play, instead reverting to the original sound files. Is there an index of sound references that these new sounds need to be added to before the game will recognise them as valid resources, or have I got them in the wrong folder?

Game was launched via the Improver.exe as well.

Thank you for the continued help.

Last edited:
Hi there!

So I see nobody wrote back to you about this, including me... very sorry. Strange, I didn't received an e-mail telling me of your post. I'm afraid I can't help much because I never added any sound types myself, just armours types and other stuff. But I think that if it play the original sounds, one of two things must happen. The most probable is that the sound files yes are at the wrong place (Tactics usually grab an original file when a special modified file in the mod is not found), or it might have something to do with the weapon entity. There may be more than one option there that trigger the sound file. Maybe the type of attack is not associated with single, or something like that... Good luck finding it. I am sure it is feasible, as people creating this patch must have tested it firsthand...

Hi there!

So I see nobody wrote back to you about this, including me... very sorry. Strange, I didn't received an e-mail telling me of your post. I'm afraid I can't help much because I never added any sound types myself, just armours types and other stuff. But I think that if it play the original sounds, one of two things must happen. The most probable is that the sound files yes are at the wrong place (Tactics usually grab an original file when a special modified file in the mod is not found), or it might have something to do with the weapon entity. There may be more than one option there that trigger the sound file. Maybe the type of attack is not associated with single, or something like that... Good luck finding it. I am sure it is feasible, as people creating this patch must have tested it firsthand...
No need to apologise, you've been busy with The Sum. Again, congratulations on the latest release. I've gotten in contact with another Tactics Modder who is seeing what they can find out, just waiting on the reply. Sound mods for the Close Combat games are keeping me occupied in the mean time!

I'll carry on experimenting in the meantime.

Very creepy intro as well for The Sum. I'm looking forward to getting into it :)

Back