VATS and cinematic kills crash the game

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Gameplay & Tech' started by Stanislao Moulinsky, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    The title says it all. When something dies with the cinematic kill cam my PC resets. Every time. This includes the cinematic kill cam of my own character (which adds an extra layer of tension, I guess...).

Any tips other than "don't use VATS" and "don't die"? :|

2. Richwizard

Richwizard So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 18, 2010
    You can turn cinematics off in the game's main menu. My game wasn't crashing, but I turned it off because it became time consuming and immersion breaking.

Settings - Gameplay - Kill Cam Mode: Choices are Player View, Cinematic, and None.

3. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Yeah, I already did that, but that option works only for the "last enemy you defeat" kill cam, not the VATS one or the one that triggers when you die. :|

4. BUDFORCE

BUDFORCE First time out of the vault

Feb 19, 2012
    I had this problem on my old PC.

It would BSOD on me everytime.

While there may be a fix or solution out there all I can say is turn off the cinematic camera, don't use VATS and dont get killed.

Just out of interest what graphics card are you using?

5. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Geforce GTS 450. For some reason the "options" menu of the game lists it as Geforce 8600 GT. :S

Guess I'll have to play it the hard way, then. :| I searched the net but found no solution to this problem.

6. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    In the very beginning, my game was crashing when doing VATS-kills too- but this was because of sound problems. After I changed my sound card and stuff, it was gone. So it probably had been some conflict with sound drivers.

7. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Well, wow, great. If it's a problem with the sound card I'd have to buy another one after I bought this one less than two months ago...

8. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Hooray, problem solved. Even though I'm not sure which remedy worked since I tried these two things at once.