Wasteland 1 available on steam

Glad this came out so I can finally give it a go, but I don't like the little graphic changes they made. (Which is fine sense they seem to be optional.)

Yes, upgraded graphics is optional. I love the original graphics, they make me feel fuzzy.

I have so much stuff to focus on that I know I shouldn't install Wasteland. Last time I did years ago nothing else mattered. It was just wake up, load up, sleep, repeat.

I just bought it a few days ago--what are the graphics changes you guys are referring to? I noticed that the character portraits don't move like I thought they did, if that's part of it...

The portraits are redone in higher res and the rest of the graphics are upscaled/rounded looking, both options could be independently turned off, non-issue.

I prefer them on an LCD since large pixels look poor on modern LCDs

But also it has voice overs for paragraphs, you no longer need to alt+tab into a notepad file with paragraphs, it has all the text there and even a voice over for each paragraph.

Extras folder includes Manual, Hint Guide, gis, wallpapers, soundtrack.

Oh yea, there's a sound track it's 5 min ambient fallouty sounding music that sets the mood just right.

What's missing is the intro video.

kohan69 said:
The portraits are redone in higher res and the rest of the graphics are upscaled/rounded looking, both options could be independently turned off, non-issue.

I prefer them on an LCD since large pixels look poor on modern LCDs

But also it has voice overs for paragraphs, you no longer need to alt+tab into a notepad file with paragraphs, it has all the text there and even a voice over for each paragraph.

Extras folder includes Manual, Hint Guide, gis, wallpapers, soundtrack.

Oh yea, there's a sound track it's 5 min ambient fallouty sounding music that sets the mood just right.

What's missing is the intro video.
Oh! Okay, thank you. I didn't know there was an extras folder, I'll need to check that out because my entire party has died a good five times in the past three hours.

mevernore said:
I just bought it a few days ago--what are the graphics changes you guys are referring to? I noticed that the character portraits don't move like I thought they did, if that's part of it...

That's correct. The high quality portraits aren't animated, just noticed myself. Too bad.

Now I prefer to play with HQ portraits off, but smoothing on. Background music off, and Aphex Twin on pandora on. :mrgreen:

Dunno if it is the same for every countries, but we have a 50% discount in france for two weeks, on steam, for this new Wasteland 1.

Who would buy wasteland when you can just get it for free?

Who would buy wasteland when you can just get it for free?

Who would pirate Wasteland when you can just buy it?
I understand it if you are really on a budget, but if there's no need, what for?
I think of it as encouraging developers to make good, ages-lasting games: I will buy it even if it's "old", as long as it's good.

The steam version has some upgrades that makes the game better, namely the paragraph included in the game instead of the manual, and the voice over for those paragraphs that is well acted. Also, it has already the dosbox launcher. Other uprades are mainly cosmetics.

Also, it helps the developers a bit and don't cost much.

On the other hand, i regret having paid the full price for New Vegas, after i have read how the benefits are (not) shared between publishers and developpers. (not mentionning the 1 point on metacritics...)

Too bad they didn't fix all the bugs :cry:
I really enjoyed second run but thanks for lacking of servo motor,
I have to quit and play Fo2...

I tried what ever I can though.
tried super lootbag, repairing broken toaster and map reset.
of course, I find another one from Quartz but that wasn't enough.
and... there was something wrong with map reset so I can't even replay :lol::lol:.
I guess using data files from old version(1988 version) was bad idea.
but I guess it's not a big problem since it's rare bug and my luck was too bad enough to find any servo motor from either of lootbag.. damm.. I found almost every items from super lootbag but servo motor. was that kind of curse of world? :lol:

anyway, it's worth to play.
dialog is really poor(not because it's keyword system. but because dialog is used poorly)
but aspect of using what method to solve situation which is profession of Fallout series,
it's ar better than any other Fallouts. and it's writing is really awesome.
description of situation, place, people and other things are awesome enough to enjoy even the graphic is premeval.

one of old school gamer said " Wasteland is kind of text game. graphic just indicate map and where you are." I think he's right.

I tried a few 80s rpg games recently (bard's tale, Fountain of Dreams...) and i would say Wasteland have a better graphics and gameplay.

On that stuff, Pokemon was released 10 years later and look the same...

It may not be the best thread to add this, but i dunno if it deserves a new thread.

We just released a new patch which adds Edwin Montgomery's soundtrack and fixes an issue with the Linux build. It is live on Steam, Desura and the Mac Game Store, should be up on GOG.com soon.

- Added soundtrack by Edwin Montgomery
- Fixed Linux version issue where the game would crash when switching fullscreen/windowed while paragraph text is visible

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6929

Already available on steam.

Back