Wasteland Merc 2 patch 1.0 (preview/test)

Muttie

Still Mildly Glowing
Modder
As a small side-project I put together a patch for WM2.

Here is a preview: https://easyupload.io/idldmc

This includes the patched game (ready to be played), a readme explaining it (you only have to read the first part, the rest is just technical stuff for those inclined), and a xfiles folder with all the original game files archived, all the readmes and a walkthrough I've written.

Is this something people are interested in? Should I upload it to NMA? And if... how?

Although, I also wouldn't be surprised if no one cares.

What is WM 2?
Realistically, I would say it's a 2 star mod. It's very solid (script & mechanic) actually, with production value (new weapons, crafting & loot system), but eventually there isn't much to the game-play and it does become a bit of a grind without any real goal except maybe slipping into power armour and beating the top three dungeons. (and their bizarrely powerful enemies, probably the toughest in any Fo2 game I've ever seen.)
While play-testing (the mod and the patch) I got into the habit of firing this up occasionally in the afternoon, play it for half an hour to an hour to get a level or some gear. Then do something else. [Basically, like a game of solitaire, just with Fo2.] If that [playing random encounters] sounds like fun, then WM2 gives you that with some added complexity (loot, crafting and progression system).
But eventually it really is just repetitive tasks (mining, fishing, slaughtering brahmin) and grind (dungeons and random encounters). Probably all up to level 99*.
[*you may check the character suggestion in the walkthrough, it may save you a reset]

@Muttie..

So i ran a quick check on your patch, and it actually reverts the game back to previous patches, which is bad.. fishing is screwed and so is The Shelter boss.

basically the cubik's patch was sepose to be updated, but actually you just poked the files, You said You'll update, out.

as for fishing, it's now impossible, as getting to the edge of the ocean and entering map still yealds desert map. coastal maps are only during encounters, and ifishing doesn't work in encounters. the three guides mercenary in heaven and both fisherman and miner in fod homot don't uncover combat, mining, and fishing zones at all, and they used to.

and the shelter boss is back to his sick 999hp despite his maxed out resistances and thresholds. given how much action points the fucker has, and how strong weapon he weilds, it is almost not possible to beat him once he initiates his attack. It's either you sneak up on him and do an insta death critical or it's game over. in the fixed version he had only 50HP, and you revertted it back to the broken 999. I don't mind, he only wasted me once, when i missclicked 1 on the keyboard instead of "a" and thus switching off my sneak mode, so only that time that cyborg attacked first, although I consider this zone OP in difficulty for the average jo playing this game, probably the devs too, hence the hp nerf for the cyborg. Basically the best gun in the game, the Advanced Space Marine Gun, may sometimes unload 1,5 of a clip on on the cyborg ~750 bullets and the cyborg is still alive.
this is still only possible due to me using Bonus Rate of Fire+ fast shot triat so that this gun bursts 1/5 of it's clip 100 bullets with 1 ap attack.

@gustarballs1983
I'm not sure I'm understanding everything here... and there is a lot going on here...

I need to double-check several things, could you just tell me to "which version" you are comparing this to?

I did research on this (April 2022) and checked several sites (the original WM2, Drobovik's archive (up to date until 2017), Pyran's archive (just double checked if it updated but nothing, seems to be still the same) and moddb) and my patch is identical to all the files and versions I found on those sites.

So... what is your patch? What did I miss?

Otherwise, I'll need to get sorted, test a few things, do some research and then I reply to your points in detail.

P.S.
And a bit of fun:

There was an invisible critter burned into one of the WM2 maps:
upload_2023-7-15_1-56-58.jpeg

Made it visible:
upload_2023-7-15_1-57-21.jpeg

Now I can kill it: *ratata-tat*

[Note: This was nothing problematic, just an inconsequential map corruption, but I found a way fix it. Which is nice. Bit cleaner now.]

I don't remember where i got that version from, only remember specifically reading somwhere that "The Shelter" cyborg got his HP fixed and that He's no longer invincible.

Since it'll get freaking hot in few hours from now, and since it's weekend, and all my family sits home, it's unlikely for me to be able to launch my desktop PC where i have this download.
I'm currently forced to sit by my tablet, as it only generates 2W of heat and doesn't require active cooling to fill my room with hot air like the 650W desktop does.

As soon as I'll be able to get access to my desktop PC, I'll make sure to provide you with WM2 that I have, though your .edg files are waay better than what i did. WM2 that I found had an option to play only classic resolution, so I applied HRP and sfall myself, on top of that the .edg files were a latter addition when i lost interest in that game, previously i just entered the map with no .edg files saved the game, and relaunched the game from a HRP disabled .exe and switched back whenever i exited that map.

The main victims of this were BoS map, normal mines map, and some of the less utilized combat zones, they all got better after I fixed them.

It was in that version that i actually got fammiliar with fishing, as previous versions behaved like Yours, simply there was desert map when you've reached the coastal area, this prevented fishing completely. Fishing is a good source of ealry caps, as it only requires fishing rod healing skills and or resting, and you get loaded with healing items.

Your version seemes an easier one, as deathclaws start to show op much later in the game ( as in from a higher level breakpoint.) In Your version centaurs and floaters start to show up from lvl 11 and deathclaws from lvl 12, in the earliest versions that i had it was lvl ~6 that deathclaws showed up.

Anyways, I'll try to keep in mind that I must provide you with WM2 that i have, though don't expect this early, i suspect it's going to be something like mid september that the ambient temperatures get back to normal. You may do something else in the meantime.

Your version seemes an easier one, as deathclaws start to show op much later in the game ( as in from a higher level breakpoint.) In Your version centaurs and floaters start to show up from lvl 11 and deathclaws from lvl 12, in the earliest versions that i had it was lvl ~6 that deathclaws showed up.
This isn't “my” version ;), it's the original, with a small patch by me.
However, the original spawned these critters as you describe (and I haven't changed it), it's Cubik's mod that pushes it back by 4 levels (if you use it).
Anyways, I'll try to keep in mind that I must provide you with WM2 that i have, though don't expect this early, i suspect it's going to be something like mid september that the ambient temperatures get back to normal. You may do something else in the meantime.
Suits me fine. The link will be dead soon anyway, this was just a test to see how and if I'm going to do this.

Anyway, I spend a day to collect my thoughts, and tried to give as many reasons and insights I could think of.
You may read this (if interested) or not (if too long)... I'm OK either way. ;)

@Muttie..

So i ran a quick check on your patch, and it actually reverts the game back to previous patches, which is bad.. fishing is screwed and so is The Shelter boss.

basically the cubik's patch was sepose to be updated, but actually you just poked the files, You said You'll update, out.
Cubik's patch is not a patch but a mod. That's why I made it optional. People call it a patch, it really isn't. It's an interesting mod that changes mechanics. But it does not fix a single bug or error. It's not a patch.
And I did look into it and what it does in detail.

Here's my opinion on it:
Worldmap.txt
-It pushes the dangerous encounters back by 4 levels. This is good and bad. The good is that you're less likely to die, the bad is that these encounters are your best XP farms. Personally, I like the danger of these encounters. So for me it's a no.
-It enables Trappers, which the original mod had put on level 99, for some reason. This means free Gecko Pelts, instead having to hunt for them. No opinion on this one way or another.
-It increases the chance of random encounters. I believe this was supposed to be a fix before there was sfall and using it with WorldmapFpsPatch may be a bad idea. So maybe reset the random encounter chance in the txt when using this.

!Owen.int and DcBilly.msg
-XP for cooking; which can be nice, bit more rewarding, however, cooking is mostly about cash & healing items. The XP doesn't hurt, though.
-Reduced cooking requirements. This is a bit weird, as the requirements to catch fish is still the same. However, when you catch fish and cook them you'll burn less. Then again when you do fish properly, your Outdoorsman is probably (at least) about 150% (1 in 4 chance) and by then you have a 50% chance to cook (with this mod 75%). Still, less grind. Deathclaw Eggs are extremely rare and I wouldn't cook, but sell them.
-Restores the "manipulation" which Fast Cook removed. Arguably an error fix.

enemy.int
A chance to loot corpses based on Steal skill. This is most intriguing. The arguments against it are: you are supposed to craft weapons, not to find them. It requires to increase another skill (Steal), but you may be OK w/ only 100%. And the mod already has this option (arguably by accident) by blowing up enemies with explosives (I think glowballs may be nice for this) [see the original readme mentioning this]. The good points are: you get to test many weapons w/o having to craft them. And you find ammo on killed enemies. Both sounds like fun.

obj_dude.int and obj_dude.msg
-You get your Radiation & Poison level by examining yourself. I do not have a strong opinion on this. The mod has a Geiger-Counter which you are supposed to use. But you may also go with this idea.
-You get XP for each successful hit, plus a chance for extra XP (up to 180 (best case), I believe). Which is another XP boost, basically again addressing the grind problem. I don't know if this makes much difference to farming Centaurs & Floaters but it's free.

Btw, all these scripts by Cubik are really cool. I loved checking them out and I learned a lot from them.

If you want to use it, it's in the xfiles folder. You can add it if you want. May be fun.

However, people should understand that it's a mod (that can be fun to use) but it's not a patch that must be used.

And, I did update it.
In detail: The original worldmap.txt (on which Cubik's mod is based) had a minor bug*, and when I fixed it I also fixed the txt in Cubik's mod, so using it wouldn't rollback the fix.

*to be precise encounter table 30 had no map line. So when the encounter table would trigger, the engine didn't know what maps to use and would spawn the player on a black map.
I added the line from 1.02d:
maps=Coast Encounter 5, Coast Encounter 4, Coast Encounter 1, Coast Encounter 8
Which as you can see are all "coast" maps, which may explain your comment on "random encounter not working with fishing", as it would not work when using encounter table 30, but it does now.

as for fishing, it's now impossible, as getting to the edge of the ocean and entering map still yealds desert map. coastal maps are only during encounters, and ifishing doesn't work in encounters.
Yes, you must trigger a random encounter to "find" a fishing spot. However, it does work. I just did a quick test to confirm it. Had a spore plant encounter. Dodged out of combat and started fishing. I got bitten once, and I caught a fish. It's a bit clunky and finicky, but this mod is from 2005. Maybe this could be improved, but idk... not sure I want to.

Otherwise,
I'm not sure what you mean by "random encounters" not working, maybe the encounter table 30 bug (see quote above)... (?)
Then again,
I couldn't change this, this is engine stuff or very advanced scripting. I would have to make a check if the tile is coastal and then replace the default 0 map (desert1) with a coastal map. I wouldn't know where to begin.
An alternative would be to add "fishing spot" locations (like a city) along the coast... that may work... but idk, having to "find" a fishing spot by triggering random encounters is not the worst mechanic, imo.

the three guides mercenary in heaven and both fisherman and miner in fod homot don't uncover combat, mining, and fishing zones at all, and they used to.

The mercs never did such thing. No idea where this is from.
However, it's a good idea. In fact I have a WM2_project_notes document with several points on "improving" the mod and that is one of them.
Having Darlok reveal Radville (the easiest dungeon) and Braeden the "normal" mine would be a good way to direct the player.
If I would also reveal the other dungeons (car workshop is hard to find) and how or when is another matter, not sure how I would do this. Or do it at all.

If interested here are some other "issues" I found:
-One quest requires 10 Metal Armour but actually checks for 20. However, this is irrelevant as a player can neither carry 10 nor 20 Metal Armours.
-Two citizens request a "necklace". There is no such item in the mod.
-Several citizens don't say how much they pay for the items they want.
-There is no indicator if the .44 JHP ammo of master.dat 1.0 or 1.01+ is used.
-Missing Worldmap TownMarkers.
-Bandits and Cannibals kills give karma, which makes me want to skip these fights. Their inventory does not get destroyed. Bandits and Cannibals could get tougher based on player lvl.
-Player is idolized in Infested Flagstaff.
-Map scripts are a mess, need complete overhaul.
-The Random Loot boxes all have a skip in the numbering. Lvar5 is missing, Lvar3 is twice.
-[Some "technical" stuff I don't want to get into here...]
-Minor map fixes (several odd hex blockers that need to get removed, plus more; but all details, maps are fine)
-The vault-net dialer forcing a dead end when not having a circuit board. edit: MADE A memory MISTAKE: Circuit Board is required to enter vault-net and does not get used up : so again the design of this mod is impressively stable, they did think of these things. I just got confused...
-How does vault-net work with the BoS when the map transition has not happened yet? [test]
-Balance (gimme a break...) [joke (kind of), I'm actually impressed by the balance. As said this mod is very solid imo, the problem is not that it's badly balanced, but that it is based on extreme level grind]
-A character starting with ST 1 cannot survive the radiation of the starting location. LOL
-Add in caves again to have more explore options.
-Craft Water Flasks at wells.
-Ammo is too scarce... imo... but not sure. Cubik's mod may help here actually. Or using glowballs.
-More fluff.
-No option to craft flamer fuel for the starting weapon of Big Guns. Making the weapon useless.
-Engine bug: Accessing an unconscious critter when cycling through bodies does not trigger pick up proc.
And so on...

There's more, just a quick run down of points I've collected. Lots of work, not sure it's worth it.
However, I would like to stress again, that I think this mod is very stable. Don't think the list above insinuates that it's a broken mess or anything. It's not. It's fine.
Most of the points above are rather inconsequential. Some would be nice if fixed (town map markers would help) but necklaces not being in the game, for example, is irrelevant.

The main problem is the level grind, see next point to get an idea what you have to reach...

and the shelter boss is back to his sick 999hp despite his maxed out resistances and thresholds. given how much action points the fucker has, and how strong weapon he weilds, it is almost not possible to beat him once he initiates his attack. It's either you sneak up on him and do an insta death critical or it's game over. in the fixed version he had only 50HP, and you revertted it back to the broken 999. I don't mind, he only wasted me once, when i missclicked 1 on the keyboard instead of "a" and thus switching off my sneak mode, so only that time that cyborg attacked first, although I consider this zone OP in difficulty for the average jo playing this game, probably the devs too, hence the hp nerf for the cyborg. Basically the best gun in the game, the Advanced Space Marine Gun, may sometimes unload 1,5 of a clip on on the cyborg ~750 bullets and the cyborg is still alive.
this is still only possible due to me using Bonus Rate of Fire+ fast shot triat so that this gun bursts 1/5 of it's clip 100 bullets with 1 ap attack.

Disagree.

Cyborg patch:
I don't know what your patch is but the original authors never gave the Cyborg 50 HP. The "cyborg patch" which confused me for a while (as there is no documentation on what it does) is, as I believe, just adding the proto to the game as the base version of WM2 was missing the Cyborg proto. So you would have fought a Gun Thug (talk about worst possible pick; gun thugs are horribly weak, actually a design flaw of Fo2 imo).

Wild Guess:
Did you know that proto readers* can not display WM 2 proto files correctly? If you would check them it would say "50 HP" for the Cyborg, but that's not true. In-game you will get 999 HP.
Maybe that's the explanation.
However, if you fought a Cyborg with 50 HP, idk, how that happened.
*Cubik's reader works a bit better but has also issues, best solution is to “edit as text” file.

"They want do to give the Cyborg 50 HP?!" :roll:
The Cyborg is the final boss of three. The other are the Guardian, the Alien Warlord and finally the Cyborg. If you study the mod, it all adds up, some examples:
-The random loot box inside the Cyborg dungeon, requires a trap roll w/ -100 else it hits you w/ 400 to 500 critical damage. To lockpick it is a roll w/ -200.
-To get to this point you probably need Power Armour which requires 175% Science and 175% Repair. On top of your weapon skill which should also be around 200%+ and the aforementioned need to disarm a trap (100%+) and lockpick the box (200%+).
-Look at these numbers and then say the Cyborg should have 50 HP.
This is "extreme" end-game. This is how the mod is balanced and designed.

Another example;
All these end bosses have maxed out resistances and 999 HP. In fact, the Alien Warlord is set to have 50.000 HP, but the engine caps it at 999 HP.
Anyway, all this is clearly intended. Three extremely powerful end game bosses.

Solutions:
-As said, these dungeons are extreme end game. So when you hit them you should be way beyond level 24 so that means after Sniper and all that jazz, the entire shebang and some. In fact, I believe you should be fully stacked out with Sniper, Fast Shot, Bonus Rate of Fire, Action Boy, Bonus Move, Better Criticals and some. When I stopped playing I was about level 18 to 20 and I hadn't even reached Combat Armour yet. Anyway, you should be a monster yourself when you fight the Cyborg.
-Better Criticals and a one AP weapon, then cripple him (runs away) or instant kill him. Easy.
-The Cyborg is susceptible to getting crippled (runs away once blind) [which, I believe, is actually a dev oversight]. But that's another way.

-The Cyborg has no resistances against EMP (because „Cyborg“), so you may try crafting EMP grenades. Which is also a strong reason why 50 HP is a bad idea, as each EMP grenade does about (100 to 150 damage vs 0/0% resistances). Use that against a 50 HP Cyborg and this fight becomes a joke. I don't have much experience with Sniper, but if it also crits w/ grenades, then chucking EMP grenades against 999 HP should take the Cyborg down in one turn. If it doesn't, I may be open to the idea of bringing it down to a number the EMP grenades can break in one turn – but probably not. Because I think the player also has to run a risk and that is needing another combat turn.

-The Advanced Space Marine Gun is way too ammo intensive to be useful imo, but I believe the idea is to use it as a "one shot" weapon against these end-bosses. In addition, wouldn't the Advanced Space Marine Gun do devastating damage with Sniper (i.e. when it crits)? Wouldn't that create damage up into the thousands? Not tested... but I think that may be another option.

Point being: these bosses are a challenge for a very high end character. The design makes sense, and there are tricks and ways to deal with it (0/0% EMP resistances), crits, special weapons etc.

And if beginners complain about it they need to break the habit of a lifetime and learn the strategies.
I see no reason to change this.

Last edited:
@Muttie

I already am using Cubik's patch

Yes, you must trigger a random encounter to "find" a fishing spot. However, it does work. I just did a quick test to confirm it. Had a spore plant encounter. Dodged out of combat and started fishing. I got bitten once, and I caught a fish. It's a bit clunky and finicky, but this mod is from 2005. Maybe this could be improved, but idk... not sure I want to.

Otherwise,
I'm not sure what you mean by "random encounters" not working, maybe the encounter table 30 bug (see quote above)... (?)
Then again,
I couldn't change this, this is engine stuff or very advanced scripting. I would have to make a check if the tile is coastal and then replace the default 0 map (desert1) with a coastal map. I wouldn't know where to begin.
An alternative would be to add "fishing spot" locations (like a city) along the coast... that may work... but idk, having to "find" a fishing spot by triggering random encounters is not the worst mechanic, imo.

Since it's fixed and random encounters yeald a fishing site, could you enlighten me how did you manage to catch fish? i couldn't for the life of me remember how to succesfully do it...

-One quest requires 10 Metal Armour but actually checks for 20. However, this is irrelevant as a player can neither carry 10 nor 20 Metal Armours.

it actually *is* possible in this mod to carry 10 metal armors but not 20. You see in black market location there is a guy that installs implants both combat and special upgrades.
combat implants require ca$h only however special upgrades require chip modules ( colors per stat are different than in fo2) you can do each stat up to 10 times provided you find the modules. and combat implants deduce 2CHA per advanced version so You'll end up with -4 CHA when maxed out on combat implants.

but back to the point 10ST is 275 lb. carry weight 3x strong back perk is 3x50 lbs. and pack rat is 50lbs, so 4x50 ( 3xstrong back +1x pack rat) yeald +200 lbs. so in theory you could lift up to 475 lbs. 10 metal armors whey 350lbs. so it is possible to pick it up with this setup. 20 metal armors however is 700 lbs. so i think 20 metal armors is an developer oversight. besides when you reach higher speech checks for order lists for BoS tier 6 has you bring 5 Power Armors, so it is definetly a thing to have cary weight perks picked in the endgame.

-Two citizens request a "necklace". There is no such item in the mod.

weird I remember that in some versions I played i was able to find the necklace ( it uses the item from Fo1 Hightower's locker the one You're sepose to steal for the thive's circle)
hence why some stuff from master.dat is used.
although yes despite playing up to lvl 22 i couldn't find one in those random chests. although some things like the systoilc motivator are reserved for higher levels to drop.

-The vault-net dialer forcing a dead end when not having a circuit board.

the idea behind vault-net is that you use it with all the nessecary upgrades. However thank you for fixing the bug with the dialer that it consumed a circut board despite having that lava lamp upgrade that should prevent this. now it works as intended thank you.

-How does vault-net work with the BoS when the map transition has not happened yet?

don't know how it works in the version You provided, however in the earlier versions i was unaware of BoS showing up related to hakunin movies, and i always disabled the movies via sfall, so flagstaff was never gone. simply put vault-net works with BoS provided you have the coordinates bought, and when you exit the map it drops you of over flagstaff.

-A character starting with ST 1 cannot survive the radiation of the starting location. LOL
I assume You meant 1EN as it's EN that's responsible for rad resistance not ST.

-Craft Water Flasks at wells.

random encounters have lots of flasks in random containers plus there's ton in the shops.
basically You don't need to craft metal armor. it's better to buy combat leather jacket at haven and invest in toughness perks, for starters, and from that either go for combat armors if you've farmed enaugh plastic or like me go straight for power armor.
although i sepose it doesn't hurt to have more flasks. despite having at least 3 ways of getting them one from BoS for unranium one ffrom slaver town for uranium, and a guy in heaven crafts 100 flasks for 10 gold and 10 water chips ( gold is mined in the standard mine if you're lucky, and water chips is a standard loot from combat zones)

-Ammo is too scarce... imo... but not sure. Cubik's mod may help here actually. Or using glowballs.

have you visited apocalypse fort? there's tons of mutants there all loaded with ammo for the Advanced Space Marine Gun.
basically end game revolves around doing few runs of apocalypse fort to get ammo and exp, and few runs of the shelter to get loot. rinse and repeat.

-As said, these dungeons are extreme end game. So when you hit them you should be way beyond level 24 so that means after Sniper and all that jazz, the entire shebang and some. In fact, I believe you should be fully stacked out with Sniper, Fast Shot, Bonus Rate of Fire, Action Boy, Bonus Move, Better Criticals and some. When I stopped playing I was about level 18 to 20 and I hadn't even reached Combat Armour yet. Anyway, you should be a monster yourself when you fight the Cyborg.
-Better Criticals and a one AP weapon, then cripple him (runs away) or instant kill him. Easy.
-The Cyborg is susceptible to getting crippled (runs away once blind) [which, I believe, is actually a dev oversight]. But that's another way.

cyborg running away when crippled or blind is combatai.txt kind of thing and i bet this is an oversight, since all critters have this stated by default, if you remove it he would fight to the end like a true cyborg. the only option would be to cripple one of his arms, so that he can't use two handed weapon he has, or simply burst him down with a lucky crit from advanced space marine gun.

-The Cyborg has no resistances against EMP (because „Cyborg“), so you may try crafting EMP grenades. Which is also a strong reason why 50 HP is a bad idea, as each EMP grenade does about (100 to 150 damage vs 0/0% resistances). Use that against a 50 HP Cyborg and this fight becomes a joke. I don't have much experience with Sniper, but if it also crits w/ grenades, then chucking EMP grenades against 999 HP should take the Cyborg down in one turn. If it doesn't, I may be open to the idea of bringing it down to a number the EMP grenades can break in one turn – but probably not. Because I think the player also has to run a risk and that is needing another combat turn.

Sniper perk states clearly that it works with firearms only so no thrown weapons. any thrown weapon fo2 player knows that.

Someone proficient with IDA discovered that EMP damage can't crit, within Fo2 exe. it's somewhere here on the forum modding section.

-The Advanced Space Marine Gun is way too ammo intensive to be useful imo, but I believe the idea is to use it as a "one shot" weapon against these end-bosses. In addition, wouldn't the Advanced Space Marine Gun do devastating damage with Sniper (i.e. when it crits)? Wouldn't that create damage up into the thousands? Not tested... but I think that may be another option.

It does tremendeus damage even without Sniper perk, however aginst the cyborg it's normally 0dmg without crits. and to reach extreme damage numbers player has to rely on luck and burst crit bug.
The burst crit bug is that when a bullet in a burst crit, all subsequent bullets do the same type of crit. and in order to one shot the cyborg one must roll either armor piercing critical to lower the DT/DR by 80%/60% if i recall correctly so that cyborg ends with 20/36% DT/DR and it has to be one of the early bullets in the burst.
Either that or insta death critical.

I'm no beginner in this game Muttie..

as i said I't not an issue for me, I know how to handle that cyborg, i was rather worried about newcomers to this mod.

Since it's fixed and random encounters yeald a fishing site, could you enlighten me how did you manage to catch fish? i couldn't for the life of me remember how to succesfully do it...
You need to trigger a random encounter along the coast. Some, but not all, coast maps have „spots“ in the water called „sea“ (use the „look at“ to see if something comes up - the spots are also a bit darker). You need to use the fishing rod on those spots. Can be difficult to click. At night these spots glow, which makes them easier to see.
it actually *is* possible in this mod to carry 10 metal armors but not 20. You see in black market location there is a guy that installs implants both combat and special upgrades.
combat implants require ca$h only however special upgrades require chip modules ( colors per stat are different than in fo2) you can do each stat up to 10 times provided you find the modules. and combat implants deduce 2CHA per advanced version so You'll end up with -4 CHA when maxed out on combat implants.

but back to the point 10ST is 275 lb. carry weight 3x strong back perk is 3x50 lbs. and pack rat is 50lbs, so 4x50 ( 3xstrong back +1x pack rat) yeald +200 lbs. so in theory you could lift up to 475 lbs. 10 metal armors whey 350lbs. so it is possible to pick it up with this setup. 20 metal armors however is 700 lbs. so i think 20 metal armors is an developer oversight. besides when you reach higher speech checks for order lists for BoS tier 6 has you bring 5 Power Armors, so it is definetly a thing to have cary weight perks picked in the endgame.
Dang, you're right. Forgot about the perks.
weird I remember that in some versions I played i was able to find the necklace ( it uses the item from Fo1 Hightower's locker the one You're sepose to steal for the thive's circle)
hence why some stuff from master.dat is used.
although yes despite playing up to lvl 22 i couldn't find one in those random chests. although some things like the systoilc motivator are reserved for higher levels to drop.
I did not find anything in the scripts. I may have overlooked it but I doubt it. If there is a necklace it's inside a container, not randomly generated as most loot is in WM2... but I don't think there is.
Doesn't really matter though. I doubt anyone would have noticed.
the idea behind vault-net is that you use it with all the nessecary upgrades. However thank you for fixing the bug with the dialer that it consumed a circut board despite having that lava lamp upgrade that should prevent this. now it works as intended thank you.
I take it, but I didn't do anything. I actually made a mistake here. This was perfectly fine in the original. I just got my memory mixed up:
A Circuit Board is required to enter vault-net but it does not get used up : so you can never get stuck : which shows again that the design of this mod is impressively stable, they did think of these things. I just fucked up... that's why I need thorough documentation. Can't remember that much. Get confused.
don't know how it works in the version You provided, however in the earlier versions i was unaware of BoS showing up related to hakunin movies, and i always disabled the movies via sfall, so flagstaff was never gone. simply put vault-net works with BoS provided you have the coordinates bought, and when you exit the map it drops you of over flagstaff.
I need to test that... in theory I would expect to get transitioned to area 22 (that should be fine) the question is what happens when I exit... will it just glitch, fix itself or will it crash...? My guess is that it will glitch with both locations being forced on at the same time – I don't think it will crash – but... I probably should test it.
Then again I think this scenario is very unlikely. I don't think the player can manage to use the vault-net before the BoS appears at Flagstaff, the requirements are too high.
I assume You meant 1EN as it's EN that's responsible for rad resistance not ST.
What I meant is: you take so much radiation in the starting location that the first effect of -1 ST triggers. And there is no way ST 1 can avoid it, I think. You can't even reach Haven before dying.
It doesn't really matter, though, it's just funny.
have you visited apocalypse fort? there's tons of mutants there all loaded with ammo for the Advanced Space Marine Gun.
basically end game revolves around doing few runs of apocalypse fort to get ammo and exp, and few runs of the shelter to get loot. rinse and repeat.
But their inventory gets destroyed when killing them.

Of course, when you use Cubik's mod you get a chance to loot based on Steal... and in the original you can get stuff by blowing enemies up (I think)... but otherwise crafting is the only access to ammo, and it felt stingy to me.

Anyway, just an impression.
My project notes are full with ideas and impressions I don't agree with anymore. It's a process.
cyborg running away when crippled or blind is combatai.txt kind of thing and i bet this is an oversight, since all critters have this stated by default, if you remove it he would fight to the end like a true cyborg. the only option would be to cripple one of his arms, so that he can't use two handed weapon he has, or simply burst him down with a lucky crit from advanced space marine gun.
You would change it? Makes the Cyborg even tougher...
Sniper perk states clearly that it works with firearms only so no thrown weapons. any thrown weapon fo2 player knows that.

Someone proficient with IDA discovered that EMP damage can't crit, within Fo2 exe. it's somewhere here on the forum modding section.
Really? I only knew that EMP resistances (DT & DR) are immune to bypassing armour. But not that EMP damage can't crit,... are you sure?

I did some tests on that (crits versus EMP) some time ago and I think crits worked (except BA as not to break the 100% DR of humans), but I need to check my notes. Can't remember.
It does tremendeus damage even without Sniper perk, however aginst the cyborg it's normally 0dmg without crits. and to reach extreme damage numbers player has to rely on luck and burst crit bug.
The burst crit bug is that when a bullet in a burst crit, all subsequent bullets do the same type of crit. and in order to one shot the cyborg one must roll either armor piercing critical to lower the DT/DR by 80%/60% if i recall correctly so that cyborg ends with 20/36% DT/DR and it has to be one of the early bullets in the burst.
Either that or insta death critical.

I'm no beginner in this game Muttie..
I didn't mean to imply that. In fact, I am who doesn't have much experience with Sniper. I genuinely didn't know.

Did some test by now. EMP grenade is no use against the Cyborg (damage too low), but crits work well enough.

I thought a “bypassing armour hit” reduces both DT & DR by 80% i.e. divided by 5?

P.S. For fun: You can make all the original proto files glitch by feeding the critter SPECIAL changing drugs, like beer. Use that on the Cyborg and the engine triggers a recalculation of the secondary stats and completely resets the Cyborg. His HP reset to 999/50, for example. Also loses all his AP.

Look Ma, Town markers:
upload_2023-7-19_1-46-42.jpeg

Maybe I overdid it with the doodling a bit.

If interested the 1.0a patch (preview): https://easyupload.io/5t1o8o (that's 1.0 plus town markers)
I'll need to figure out how to upload permanently eventually...

@gustarballs1983
Btw,
You were right it needs both; low EN (else the dose isn't high enough when leaving quickly) and ST 1 (so the effect is deadly).

I thought a “bypassing armour hit” reduces both DT & DR by 80% i.e. divided by 5?
I remember stating the 60% for the DR thant I'm not certain about? Yeah it may be 80%/80% as well i don't remember exactly now, I remembered only that both weapon penetrate perk and armor bypass had -80% DT, on top of that armor bypass also had a degree of DR reduction, just couldn't remember how much. so i stated "60% or so i think" etc. please don't quote me on this. it's not that I'm some kind of Fallout compendium, cause I'm not. :p

I need to test that... in theory I would expect to get transitioned to area 22 (that should be fine) the question is what happens when I exit... will it just glitch, fix itself or will it crash...? My guess is that it will glitch with both locations being forced on at the same time – I don't think it will crash – but... I probably should test it.
Then again I think this scenario is very unlikely. I don't think the player can manage to use the vault-net before the BoS appears at Flagstaff, the requirements are too high.

I already told You i did it and how i did it. when you set i your sfall aroyyo movies ( a.k.a. hakunin dreams) to "-1" they will not be triggered at all. Since BoS shows up after fourth hakunin movie, i never had the chance for bos to show up. however i grinded the dough for dialer and all the upgrades and got to the BoS, while there still was flagstaff. Bos is only available via the dialer then. if you leave the BoS map via the exit grid it drops you off over flagstaff, if you enter fllagstaff there are aliens and radiation like usual. If you want to reach BoS agin you need to use the dialer agin. Or simply unblock hakunin movies in your vault13.gam, trigger them and have the BoS instead of flagstaff.

You would change it? Makes the Cyborg even tougher...

I don't give a damn it's either wasting him in first turn or One is dead anyways.

LH is back on so this goes on hold (for the time being).

Here is something that may be interesting, though: https://easyupload.io/i56v4y (it's my Dev Room; if you want to test (or cheat) in-game).

Once LH has subsided again (I don't expect I'll have to do much) I'll keep banging away at this. It's a simple time-filler. Easy to get in & out of. Gives me a chance to learn modding. And I fix something at the same time.

Anyway,
I'm not (wasn't) really planning to develop WM2... but I started on patch 1.0a, which includes:
-the Town Marker (see above)
-the fixed War Tech Facility map (see above, btw you can make the critter show up by using the scan of a Motion Sensor (there's one in the dev room))
-fixed proto files (so readers display them better and they can't be made to glitch in-game anymore)
-fixed some basic Fo2 msg files because the errors annoyed me (combat, perk & proto)
-fix the kingpin msg (asks for 20, not 10 Metal Armour) [not done yet]
-maybe fix some of the other msgs (how much they want and what they pay for it) [needs looking into though what is reasonably possible]
-have Darlok reveal Radville & Braeden the Mines (both goes beyond patching, tbh, but it's a good idea; needs more testing though, not entirely happy how it played out in-game... maybe Darlok needs to reveal more; Radville, Car Workshop & Raider? dunno... Needs twiddling.)
-Infested Flagstaff is set to Vilified (I read up on WM 1 and that seems to make sense) [actually Hated because Interplay can't use <= correctly; same crap as genrep, god, I hate this]
-Bandits and Cannibals don't give karma anymore (because it makes no sense to become a saint by self-defence... WM2 has also a karma system which eventually forces to run away from these encounters to avoid the karma, which was silly)
-maybe do something about .44 JHP [not decided yet, can't make up my mind...]
-and last but not least I'm thinking about a "re-balance mod" (I think the game is balanced OK, it's just the level grind that is awful (keep in mind that at the later stages each 1% costs 5 skill points) anyway, I thought an easy way to re-balance is to make a list of all critters that appear in the game and then increase the XP they give by (current plan: 100%). So it keeps the original balance, just speeds everything up by x%. That is straightforward and simple, with just a minimal and little intrusive mod. I think that's realistic enough and should work. Also easy to fine tune. The goal (in my mind) is that the player can just about craft Power Armour when the BoS appears. I think that's the pace the game should have. Anyway, that would be a mod then, not part of the patch.
And that's what I got about done...

There is not much wrong with this mod. It's pretty stable. But if anyone has anything they want to see improved, leave a message and I'll see what I can do.

P.S. I'll see about permanent upload options when 1.0a is finished. I think...

LH is back on so this goes on hold (for the time being).

Here is something that may be interesting, though: https://easyupload.io/i56v4y (it's my Dev Room; if you want to test (or cheat) in-game).

Once LH has subsided again (I don't expect I'll have to do much) I'll keep banging away at this. It's a simple time-filler. Easy to get in & out of. Gives me a chance to learn modding. And I fix something at the same time.

Anyway,
I'm not (wasn't) really planning to develop WM2... but I started on patch 1.0a, which includes:
-the Town Marker (see above)
-the fixed War Tech Facility map (see above, btw you can make the critter show up by using the scan of a Motion Sensor (there's one in the dev room))
-fixed proto files (so readers display them better and they can't be made to glitch in-game anymore)
-fixed some basic Fo2 msg files because the errors annoyed me (combat, perk & proto)
-fix the kingpin msg (asks for 20, not 10 Metal Armour) [not done yet]
-maybe fix some of the other msgs (how much they want and what they pay for it) [needs looking into though what is reasonably possible]
-have Darlok reveal Radville & Braeden the Mines (both goes beyond patching, tbh, but it's a good idea; needs more testing though, not entirely happy how it played out in-game... maybe Darlok needs to reveal more; Radville, Car Workshop & Raider? dunno... Needs twiddling.)
-Infested Flagstaff is set to Vilified (I read up on WM 1 and that seems to make sense) [actually Hated because Interplay can't use <= correctly; same crap as genrep, god, I hate this]
-Bandits and Cannibals don't give karma anymore (because it makes no sense to become a saint by self-defence... WM2 has also a karma system which eventually forces to run away from these encounters to avoid the karma, which was silly)
-maybe do something about .44 JHP [not decided yet, can't make up my mind...]
-and last but not least I'm thinking about a "re-balance mod" (I think the game is balanced OK, it's just the level grind that is awful (keep in mind that at the later stages each 1% costs 5 skill points) anyway, I thought an easy way to re-balance is to make a list of all critters that appear in the game and then increase the XP they give by (current plan: 100%). So it keeps the original balance, just speeds everything up by x%. That is straightforward and simple, with just a minimal and little intrusive mod. I think that's realistic enough and should work. Also easy to fine tune. The goal (in my mind) is that the player can just about craft Power Armour when the BoS appears. I think that's the pace the game should have. Anyway, that would be a mod then, not part of the patch.
And that's what I got about done...

There is not much wrong with this mod. It's pretty stable. But if anyone has anything they want to see improved, leave a message and I'll see what I can do.

P.S. I'll see about permanent upload options when 1.0a is finished. I think...

LH You say.. Hmmm.. sounds about like there's gonna be some sweet release anytime soon... care to *spoil* us a little bit o the matter?

Nothing to write home about. FK incorporated the proofread set, send me the latest build, I check if I find any error, and if I do, I tell him about it.
Already finished actually. Few minor points to correct. Nothing exciting.

Nothing to write home about. FK incorporated the proofread set, send me the latest build, I check if I find any error, and if I do, I tell him about it.
Already finished actually. Few minor points to correct. Nothing exciting.
What do You mean by saying "nothing exciting", a new Last Hope release is just around the corner.. it's exciting as Phuck :D , and don't you try to diminish Your efforts..
this is a goddamn job well done... You deserve a medal for this so to speak :p

Bump!

Seemes the heat turned down for a few days, so i''ll be able to upload the WM2 versions that i have, as i stated earlier.
The question is where would you like me to upload them?
Preferably a place w/o registration, and with enaugh uptime so that you'd have enaugh time to get it before it fades away..

Yeah.. so i did a checkup on the version i had, and You were right, it had no button markers and no default coast maps. Fishing was done via encounters, no idea why i remembered it differently, but the fact is thee's no point in checking it, so no point in uploading. Sorry for all the trouble. It's the same old game as the original, although I've put sfall 4.3.4 on top of it with a couple of mods. no big deal. and the grind part about the game is what it's all about. Sort of like diablo game in classic fallout engine, the purpose o the game is to gain loot and XP doing repetative content, sort of like in arpg :p

My small proposition, what you say about modification for WM1/WM2 like this:
damage type based on ammo, not on weapon?
I made it in executable file, based on Fallout2 Community Edition, to work properly it needs special modified ammo files.
If you appreciate it, I will try present it until weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah.. so i did a checkup on the version i had, and You were right, it had no button markers and no default coast maps. Fishing was done via encounters, no idea why i remembered it differently, but the fact is thee's no point in checking it, so no point in uploading. Sorry for all the trouble. It's the same old game as the original, although I've put sfall 4.3.4 on top of it with a couple of mods. no big deal. and the grind part about the game is what it's all about. Sort of like diablo game in classic fallout engine, the purpose o the game is to gain loot and XP doing repetative content, sort of like in arpg :p
;)

Btw, I used my dev room to theory craft an optimized character and I think I can reach the end-game on lvl 47. That's about 1 million XP. Which is not that bad really. Of course lvl 50 to 60 may be more realistic, but it's not as bad as having to reach level 99, as I originally thought. As a result, I dropped my idea of speeding up levelling by increasing XP for critter kills. May not be necessary.

Still, I created a spreadsheet: https://easyupload.io/0nqexo with all proto files that are used in WM2, but I don't think it's necessary. Anyway, easy to do if changing my mind.

My small proposition, what you say about modification for WM1/WM2 like this:
damage type based on ammo, not on weapon?
I made it in executable file, based on Fallout2 Community Edition, to work properly it needs special modified ammo files.
If you appreciate it, I will try present it until weekend.
Not entirely sure I'm understanding. Do you mean “damage” or “damage type” as in “normal, laser, plasma, fire...” not sure I'm following your idea correctly.
However, if you want to create a mod for WM2, I'll incorporate it.

Do note that WM2 does not use AP ammo. Only the JHP type.

If interested, these are my spreadsheets for damage: https://easyupload.io/vrewzm (bit rough, but it does the job, I'm working on a better version – slowly)
However, all weapons and ammo types that are used by WM2 are in bold. Which may be helpful if you want to mod ammo.

Otherwise, I'm still figuring out the mod and how it's balanced. But currently, I'm not seeing an issue with ammo or damage. Still, I don't mind listening to ideas.

hello, is there a working link for the high res patch for wasteland merc 2?

Hey there..

Wasteland merc Should work with either Mash's original HRP, or with sfall built in one ( it's present in more recent builds)

the problem with any HRP and WM2 is that WM2 uses same names for certain maps as original Fallout 2. hence theese maps have different high resolution edges, and will not work correctly with WM2. theese map edges are kept in f2-res.dat, they need to be overwritten by ones tailored for WM2 mod. I belive I gave theese fixed map edges to Quantum Apprentice, and they should be available to download in the description under his videos of gameplay of this mod, there are four of them vids if i remember correctly.

Back