Wasteland Merc 2 patch 1.0 (preview/test)

Hey there..

Wasteland merc Should work with either Mash's original HRP, or with sfall built in one ( it's present in more recent builds)

the problem with any HRP and WM2 is that WM2 uses same names for certain maps as original Fallout 2. hence theese maps have different high resolution edges, and will not work correctly with WM2. theese map edges are kept in f2-res.dat, they need to be overwritten by ones tailored for WM2 mod. I belive I gave theese fixed map edges to Quantum Apprentice, and they should be available to download in the description under his videos of gameplay of this mod, there are four of them vids if i remember correctly.
i came here from quantum apprentice's video actually and the link in the video no longer works sadly, thats why i came to this thread

Weird, i checked it yesterday and the link *did* work, it redirects to NMA but requires login prior to download.. after loging in, the download begins..

Here, the error You got is probably due to not having modder status, I don't know what Quantum pulled off in order to upload this to the download section.

Anyways be sure to also download and install Mash's High Resolution Patch 4.1.8 and latest sfall of Your choice.
my fixes go to data\maps if i remembr correctly. the .edg files need to be there.

Attachments

Actually, I'm fairly close to have finished the 1.0a patch.
It took longer because I found a lot more bugs than expected.
Currently, I need to do a test of the updated AI (basically all critters in the dungeons will now use combat messages (if appropriate), which makes the fights more fun imo, but I also fixed that the Ghouls and Raiders wouldn't use the drugs in their inventory (which is a bug fix)). Plus more.

Anyway, I need to do a test run. Then I need to get sorted. Update the readme files (which I hate doing), and then publish (I think)... although I may also drop another preview over the weekend... but either way I do want to wrap this up soon.

Here, the error You got is probably due to not having modder status, I don't know what Quantum pulled off in order to upload this to the download section.

Anyways be sure to also download and install Mash's High Resolution Patch 4.1.8 and latest sfall of Your choice.
my fixes go to data\maps if i remembr correctly. the .edg files need to be there.
thanks a lot for the file! but i have a few issues which trouble me now, main one is that i crash when i enter the unknown location east of the infested flagstaff where i begun, crash is persistent.
I installed GOG Version of Fallout 2, installed and enabled Mash's High Resolution Patch 4.1.8. and sfall already comes preinstalled in gog version, i installed wasteland merc 2 mod with the vault net addon as well as fast cook addon and of course the file which you provided to me. Did i do something wrong? I would like to see what your install method is, which version you preferred, etc.
EDIT: I realized what i did wrong, i had to delete the original Data folder in the fallout 2 root folder first, rename the patch0001.dat file into something else before unzipping the mod .rar files. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the file! but i have a few issues which trouble me now, main one is that i crash when i enter the unknown location east of the infested flagstaff where i begun, crash is persistent.
I installed GOG Version of Fallout 2, installed and enabled Mash's High Resolution Patch 4.1.8. and sfall already comes preinstalled in gog version, i installed wasteland merc 2 mod with the vault net addon as well as fast cook addon and of course the file which you provided to me. Did i do something wrong? I would like to see what your install method is, which version you preferred, etc.
EDIT: I realized what i did wrong, i had to delete the original Data folder in the fallout 2 root folder first, rename the patch0001.dat file into something else before unzipping the mod .rar files. Thanks for all the help!

So everything works fine now?

Do note that probably GoG's sfall requires an update, and in order to check those .edg files You'd have to set your game resolution to something greater than 640x480.
Your desktop resolution is prefered, with the exception of it being greater than FullHD standard.

So everything works fine now?

Do note that probably GoG's sfall requires an update, and in order to check those .edg files You'd have to set your game resolution to something greater than 640x480.
Your desktop resolution is prefered, with the exception of it being greater than FullHD standard.
it seems like everything's working fine, im trying to understand how things work in this mod now, it sure has a somewhat rough start from what i can tell

Here's the preview: https://easyupload.io/1j5tdh

Do note that it's incomplete, just the main game (patched), Cubik's mod (patched) for those who want to use it, the walkthrough and an "old" readme (outdated) in case people need the info on instal & Cubik's mod.

Changelog (1.0 to 1.0a):
-Added Town Markers
-Fixed the War Tech Facility map (now the barricaded SW corner can be opened w/o crashing) (modder/mapper only fix)
-Fixed the critter proto files (can't be made to glitch anymore) (also easier to read in proto editors)
-Overhauled all map scripts (removed anything related to Fo2 (cleaner now), fixed a few false lighting settings (for five maps) and fixed the idolized state in Infested Flagstaff)
-Bandit & Cannibals no longer give karma when killed.
-The "Merc: Darlok " reveals the first dungeon if asked about locations.
-The "Miner: Braeden" reveals the first mine if asked about locations.
-Kingpin now checks for 10 Metal Armour (not 20); pretty sure that was a typo in the original
-Vault-Net can't teleport to the BoS before it appears anymore and teleporting to an unknown dungeon doesn't drop the player in a black spot on the worldmap.
-Cyber Surgeon: a player with combat implants can't go ahead with a procedure when at max CH anymore (max is 10 normal, 9 with one & 8 with two implants), secondly, combat implants don't reduce CH twice (if using newer sfall), thirdly, corrected a 50k typo (detail), and last, money is now removed w/o exploit option)
-Several (minor) typo corrections in dialog and game files.
-Fixed the Apocalypse Camp map (had a huge blob of random hex blockers in the middle)
-Fixed the Raiders map (had some missing blockers and displaced art)
-Added a door script to block the "doorway blocked message" (currently only used on the Raiders map, which was the main culprit)
-Fixed the Scorpion Tail item (had characteristics of item 82; which was not a problem in-game, but would have acted up in mapper)
-Added the 1.02d fix for 44 JHP ammo : bit debatable, but w/o it, only the Mauser is worse than the revolvers, which can't be intended. However, it is possible that the weapons were designed for 1.02d (it really feels that way), but the mod was balanced and tested with 1.0 (they do a lot more damage on the player now...)... not 100% sure about this one. But considering how weak the revolvers are, and how they are designed (Slayer has high AP cost and (supposedly) high damage), I think they should use 1.02d ammo.
-Added two frms that allows the Raiders to throw their grenades (although they rarely do).
-Fixed two bugs in the fast cooking script (did check for a wrong qty (all) and cooking deathclaw eggs in bulk no longer requires to carry raw fish).
-Created new AI packets to give critters in dungeons combat messages (each dungeon has a unique set). Also fixed the AI in places: Cyborg now only flees when blind (not when crippled), Aliens are unified (all on the same team and they never run when crippled or blinded [note the Alien dungeon used two scripts with different behaviour; which is unified now]), the Vault-Net Guardian never runs when blinded or crippled, Raiders and Ghouls are set to use the Psycho in their inventory.
-Overhauled and improved the source code and headers [missing in preview]
[When any of these made a change to files in "Cubik's mod" or "Talking Heads Removed" [missing in preview] I updated those too.]

To DO List [not done yet and may not get done]
-Crafting: A player can now craft flamer fuel. Outlier... but a if a player starts with a Flamer, the weapon would not become useless (i.e. run out of ammo) anymore. - Detail. I already rebuild the source, so it's easy to implement. That said, I may do this, but... would cause another delay.
-Implementing the Necklace as loot. Still haven't found a convenient place to implement it.
-The encounter table has a small and a large scorpion encounter. Both require the player to be level 3 or higher. This seems like an oversight. Removing the requirement from the small scorpion one (which is also "very" easy to fight) would allow to find tails right from the start of the game, which is the easiest to cook food. That would reduce the need to quickly improve outdoorsman. Currently a player has to push Oudoorsman to cook the meat (found on rats). Sprinkling in a few scorpions that allow to create the mod's version of "healing powder" may help the early game. I'm just not sure how it changes encounter rate, plus I would need to update Cubik's mod, too, and I'm not going to waltz over it until I'm sure I'm doing the right thing.
-Fixing the Apocalypse Fort map (radioactive puddle is set as wall)

And,
that's it. I just need to sort notes and readme really. And figure out how one uploads permanently. Unless I decide to do some of the to DO stuff... and the more you look, the more you find... etc., however, I do want to finish this and move on.

@Muttie
can you upload most up to date version of Wasteland Merc with your fixes??
I'm kind of curious how well wasteland merc would fare now that we have Fo2MechanicsMiniRework. I'd like to check how the alternate firing mode mechanics fares in this mod. it could actually make energy weapons be viable in this mod, provided the stats are tweaked in the ..ini

@Muttie
can you upload most up to date version of Wasteland Merc with your fixes??
I'm kind of curious how well wasteland merc would fare now that we have Fo2MechanicsMiniRework. I'd like to check how the alternate firing mode mechanics fares in this mod. it could actually make energy weapons be viable in this mod, provided the stats are tweaked in the ..ini
Sorry. This is the last version: https://easyupload.io/e09hi5

I try to make stuff permanent from now. At least I'll try, and if they let me. This is all harder for me than people may expect. Not my generation.

The version above is finished. There are still bugs and features but they are minor or I have currently no good idea how to go about it.
What I may do is create a mod for WM2 and add two companions to it. I think that would help the mod. But I would need some breathing room. As with everything computers, I haven't done it before, and I need time to figure it out first. Although, I'm pretty much on top of scripting, logistic and mapping by now. I'm fairly confident I can do it, just slowly. I also prefer to sit down and have quiet and piece for a while and focus on just one thing. So no promises, but I do want to look into companions eventually. Doesn't seem that difficult.

Muttie, fix buildings on some maps. Fix the doors on the walls, put them on the west or south walls, because they are invisible.
Move some buildings away from the edge of the map and make gaps between buildings.

Getting off topic a bit, but regarding the WM1/2 mods:
I played WM1 and WM2. WM2 is technically better, but has a very strange atmosphere, a bit unpleasant in my opinion. More pleasant is WM1. I'll admit that I've been making such small tweaks and minor improvements to WM1 for a very long time, but I don't know when I'll finish. I will probably apply some of the features from WM2, and maybe I will also port some maps to WM1.

You mean Trashyard (especially) and you're absolutely right. However, this (overhauling an entire map) goes beyond what I'm willing to do. I want to move on.

The reason I picked up WM2 was because I had downtime, and looked for something to try. And I picked WM2. I played it. Found bugs, and thought, I can fix that. And that's basically it. I don't want to do a full support service for WM2.

There are one or two things I may want to do for WM2 (as said I'd like to try script companions for a mod and WM2 may improve with a companion), then there are some other things, but I don't know, yet, I need to collect my thoughts - I also wouldn't mind to pass the torch (i.e. hand over my project notes).

Update
I tried to upload to NMA over the (last) weekend and it wouldn't let me. It's 72.855 KB which I tried to cut down to 30 MB (by using sfall) and it still wouldn't let me. Maybe it's the ACM files, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Idk.

As a result the permanent Wm2 1.0a upload is off for now. I'll need to get around to figure out what I have to do (or get) to make it work. (and also what works best for me etc.) which takes time and looking into options (etc). I don't know when I'll find the time (and the will) to do it. For now, I'll just do what I enjoy most and that is some more modding.

Regarding WM2, I may revisit (for 1.0b), but I have a couple of other things I want to do first, so it may be a while.

Changelog

The following is a summarized changelog (with a focus on things players may care about, and less technical points – interesting as they are*).
[*if you want to learn more details and insights check the patch1.0a readme]

Patch 1.0a (advanced patch)
-Some models had grenades but no throwing animation. Fixed (from Appearance Mod).
-Worldmap got town markers/labels for each location.
-Dungeon enemies got combat floats.
-Dungeon enemies with drugs will now use them.
-Aliens behaviour (crippled & blinded) unified. Also changed other end-game bosses to not run when (crippled/blinded).
-Fixes to random encounters (correct spawn of maps & enemies)
-Removed level requirement from Small Radscorpions encounter (can now be encountered on lvl 0)
-Fixed the corrupted (War Tech Facility map) : not really interesting for players but huge relief for devs
-removed LoS blockers from toxic lake and vertibird rotors (Apocalypse Fort map)
-fixed map errors on (Raiders map) and (Apocalypse Camp map); displaced art & blockers
-added door script to stop the "doorway blocked" spam on (Raiders map)
-fixed several prototypes (critters), their stats won't bug out anymore when using drugs on them
-Alien Queen is now female
-Brahmin (all) reset to their original flags (minus No Steal)
-.44 JHP ammo unified to 1.02d version for all users
-Increasing CH (at cyber surgeon) not possible anymore when maxed out on CH
-Cyber Surgeon no longer reduces CH twice (when using sfall 4.2.1 or higher)
-minor cash check fix (cyber surgeon)
-added option to craft flamer fuel
-Aliens are now all on the same team
-The Kingpin is now checking for 10 Metal Armours (as claimed)
-Cooking (in batches) does not turn 49 items into 50 anymore.
-Cooking Deathclaw Eggs (in batches) does not check if player carries Raw Fish anymore
-Vault-net does not allow teleport to BoS before it appeared on map
-Vault-net teleport to an unknown dungeon does not drop the player into a black worldmap tile anymore. [still, has to use "home" key : no map centre on worldmap, I think]
-The merc in Haven reveals the starting dungeon (note: to trigger use the more elaborate dialogue option)
-The miner in Fod Homott reveals the starting mine
-Fixed lighting in several places (especially the starting map and alien lair are darker now)
-Starting town rep of Infested Flagstaff changed from ("idolized" to "hated")
-Slaver Town main gate now opens/closes automatically
-Random encounter enemies (bandits and cannibals) no longer increase player's karma when killed
-Brahmin script improved (will be more lively now)
-Basic fixes to all container & door scripts
-Box2 (dungeon loot box) no longer spawns more than the intended 5-6 items
-EcBox (loot box on random encounters) no longer loses items when saving/loading on map
-Some typo fixes
-Added credits.txt

Patch 1.0 (basic clean up patch)
-added correct running animation for female tribal (from RP)
-HRP enabled (original files by Pyran)
-Death screen no longer plays Fo2 ones
-Removed Fo2 quests from quest log
-Fixed random encounters (correct map spawn)
-Starting location no longer "unknown"
-Random encounter enemies don't float messages when unconscious
-Car Workshop does not drop Town Rep of Fod Homott
-Typo fixes (various)
-Renamed dream sequences
-Fixed random encounters spawning an "error" message
-Adjusted pre-made character text

Preview of my WM2 ToDoList:

Mod
-Companions (mod): Create a mod that adds two companions: a brahmin pulling a cart (trunk) and a merc (that needs to be paid every month)

Fixes (1.0b)
-Flagstaff/BoS switch (reduce timer from 360 days to maybe 43 to 66 days) TEST if that is too soon.
-add Necklace (missing item)
-improve Dungeon reveal (merc in Haven)
-proper hostility (in civilized areas) (detail)
-allow CoP to ignore karma (pet project)
-separate brahmin into domesticated and wild, the latter with proper walking (detail/improvement)
-map fixes (airport door message spam etc.) (detail)
-fix 12 ga blaster (big gun) (consequences?)
-robots at WT Facility get combat dialogue (could be nice – mod?)
-Bandits & Cannibals (have them improve in difficulty over time – mod?)
-EMP buff (mod)
-continue rebuilding source

P.S. Maybe @Cubik2k could be kind enough to back me up again and add a link just in case someone wants the last version (as he did last time). However, I need to figure this out eventually...

@Muttie

As I said before..
#1 the forum's server is picky about who get's upload acces and who doesn't.. I wasn't considered worthy either..

#2 If you have a router with an usb port and a free disk of any kind You could start Your own FTP server right now just as i did..
i did explain how to do this in detail in one of my recent responses to your posts, either here or in another topic. So make sure you read it.
it's really no big hassle, just click a button once in a month and ocasionally reboot the router. no big deal.

Back