Water chip mission

Sentinel

First time out of the vault
I have just replayed F1 with Fallout Fixt mod. In FotA building there is a ghoul that gives the "find the spy" quest that was broken in vanilla game. This ghoul also mentions that he had been sent by the overseer to find the waterchip. This had apparently happened long before the game protagonist embarked on his mission, because the ghoul claims that he had been given a shotgun by the overseer, but it was lost "over the course of years" or something like that.

This has always bothered me - if other(s) were sent on a "fool's errand" to find the waterchip years ago, how long has the vault survived without water? Is the ghoul's story even considered canon? It is unfortunate the overseer cannot be confronted about that.

It's well established that you aren't the first person to be sent after the waterchip. In fact, there's literally another Vault Dweller outside Vault 13 at the beginning of the game.

It's also strongly hinted at through all the preset characters generally being undesirables(Natasha a thief, Max being not the brightest member of the Vault, Albert actively campaigning to leave the Vault), that the Overseer uses the Water Chip as an excuse to get rid of undesirables from the Vault.

I'm not sure if that character's involvement is canon. It's definitely canon that you aren't the first, because of Ed, although I don't think it's too lorebreaking for someone to be sent out years ago, after all the Water Chip doesn't explicitly need to be broken for the Overseer to be aware there's a problem. Having only one working waterchip is, by itself a cause for concern.

It's well established that you aren't the first person to be sent after the waterchip. In fact, there's literally another Vault Dweller outside Vault 13 at the beginning of the game.

It's also strongly hinted at through all the preset characters generally being undesirables(Natasha a thief, Max being not the brightest member of the Vault, Albert actively campaigning to leave the Vault), that the Overseer uses the Water Chip as an excuse to get rid of undesirables from the Vault.

I'm not sure if that character's involvement is canon. It's definitely canon that you aren't the first, because of Ed, although I don't think it's too lorebreaking for someone to be sent out years ago, after all the Water Chip doesn't explicitly need to be broken for the Overseer to be aware there's a problem. Having only one working waterchip is, by itself a cause for concern.

There's a corpse right outside of the entry to Vault 13, but that does not necessarily mean it was yet another person looking for a water chip. Might have been someone willing to leave the vault, like Theresa and her faction. It is funny, though, that he got "spawn killed" by rats immediately after stepping out of the vault.

I have never considered pre-generated characters because I always create a custom one. It certainly is an interesting theory.

Back