What are your thoughts on the upcoming Fallout TV show?

Vault Dweller Donny

Explorer of the wastes
I will say I am a bit worried, Reading documents from people working on the show, it seems like the showrunners haven't actually played the games at all, and I have a nasty feeling that either intentionally or unintentionally that the show is going to retcon lore from the classics, or just destroy it all together so nobody else other than Bethesda can make fallout games. I also get a nasty vibe of modern politics being interpreted in the show somehow.

The show looks horrible as a Fallout show, bland and generic as a regular sci-fi post apocalyptic show.

The lore of the classic has been destroyed for a long while now, so the show ruining the lore is to be expected. I’m mostly just worried about what they’ve done with the NCR.

The creator of the show is a huge Fallout 3 fan. I guarantee he hasn’t played any of the Fallouts before 3, but he has technically played the games. This is a rare instance where the show would be better off if he hadn’t played any of the games.

The creator of the show is a huge Fallout 3 fan. I guarantee he hasn’t played any of the Fallouts before 3, but he has technically played the games. This is a rare instance where the show would be better off if he hadn’t played any of the games.

So hes not a fan, hes a tourist.

I don't have any expectations to be honest.

If it's good- great.
If it's a glorious trainwreck that could rival 76 launch- also great.

I just hope it doesn't end up right in the middle as boring.

I don't have any expectations to be honest.

If it's good- great.
If it's a glorious trainwreck that could rival 76 launch- also great.

I just hope it doesn't end up right in the middle as boring.
I pretty much share these EXACT sentiments for the show! If it's good, I'll watch. But it's crap, I won't bother.

:ok:

I will say I am a bit worried, Reading documents from people working on the show, it seems like the showrunners haven't actually played the games at all, and I have a nasty feeling that either intentionally or unintentionally that the show is going to retcon lore from the classics, or just destroy it all together so nobody else other than Bethesda can make fallout games. I also get a nasty vibe of modern politics being interpreted in the show somehow.
After I read the director of the TV series saying something that I will quote below, I lost all hope for the show.
From the beginning, it seemed very clear that Todd had... In truth, my favorite collaborators to adapt from are dead people because they don't argue. Todd is very much alive, but had that great, great confidence of someone who has created a world, [and] allowed in some cases – New Vegas is an example – other people to sort of create within that world. So he had both the confidence and the experience of knowing that if you build a good enough world, people can create within it and connect to the stories that you've told.

I have no thoughts on it because i'm not watching it. Got better shit to do than watching some crummy show that most likely won't have any respect for the license.

I don't want to watch it, but you know there's going to be so many clips and breakdowns floating around, that I'll inevitably see some part of it.

Yes I came back because of the TV show(The cattle drive is here!). I was interested to see how the veteran fans would take the new series. I haven't finished it yet myself. Personally I have mixed feelings, but overall it seems pretty entertaining. I'd give it a 7/10 so far.

A lot of small things here and there do bother me(Why are there so many normal animals? They should be really rare and valuable if they exist at all), and the writing quality seems to go up and down between episodes. At times it feels cartoonish the way character behaviors don't fit the realities of the world they're in. Characters keep making dumb self-harmful decisions that makes me want to yell at my TV screen. It also definitely leans more towards the Fo3/Fo4 flavor of humor and world building. A lot more wacky and less of the dark, gritty realism. Sometimes it doesn't feel much like a well crafted story web of plotlines coming together, but a series of events strung together by rule-of-cool and plot convenience. Maybe it'll come together better with the finale? :shrug:

There is still a lot to enjoy here if you can allow some suspension of disbelief. Most of the core characters are written and acted pretty well. The visuals are also superb for a video game TV show. Might be the best part about it. Honestly it's pretty nice just to have a decently competent piece of media give me some Fallout nostalgia, even if it's Fo4 flavored instead of FoNV or the originals. Overall worth it if you have some spare time and need something to watch, even if it's just to criticize. I'd enjoy hearing what everyone thinks if they decide to give it a try.

Back