What if I told you Todd Howard invented Fallout?

It's got to be a real kick in the dick to have been a member of the original team. You're basically watching a dude take all the credit for an IP he didn't produce, and whose only contribution to the IP was to dumb it down to a digestible level for generation "console."

Shameful.
Fallout or Elder Scrolls?
BAZINGA

and then as project leader and designer of The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard (1998).

Haha, oh wow. I didn't know, but that explains a few things.

Of course he created Fallout. Fallout 3's the first Fallout game after all.
It took a while for Google to fix their summary of Fallout 1 to not be a picture of Fallout 3. Todd didn't even made TES. Video games awards without fail are bullshit.
ToddHowardCreatorOfTES.png

Well, the text acknowledges that he didn't work on ES until Daggerfall nor Fallout until 3.
Maybe everything below the title of the document was a copy-paste job.

I really doubt Todd has much say in what really goes into these games.
Essentially, he is just the middle man between Bethesda Game Studios and Zenimax. He is there to make money for Zenimax first and to do so, he needs to find a way to bring in the biggest audience. If Morrowind is anything to go by, we know he can be a really good game dev.
He probably overlooks the project and takes credit for keeping the team stable.

So it's no surprise he would be the person Zenimax and Bethesda would want to push for being the sole creator. He should certainly take credit for leading and directing these games, but not for inventing them.
That's just bad journalism.

I really doubt Todd has much say in what really goes into these games.
Essentially, he is just the middle man between Bethesda Game Studios and Zenimax. He is there to make money for Zenimax first and to do so, he needs to find a way to bring in the biggest audience. If Morrowind is anything to go by, we know he can be a really good game dev.
He probably overlooks the project and takes credit for keeping the team stable.

So it's no surprise he would be the person Zenimax and Bethesda would want to push for being the sole creator. He should certainly take credit for leading and directing these games, but not for inventing them.
That's just bad journalism.

The director's job is to unify the overall product, so he's clearly not doing his job when you've got a story urgently asking you to find your baby boy, and gameplay that tells you to ignore your son and indulge in building scrap heaps and better plasma guns.

We know he's a good game dev when his company is about to go under, but he's not really a good game dev when he's given a 90+ million budget and squanders it on pointless features that don't add anything memorable to the gameplay.

Which part tells it?

Anyway, there are still people in the USA who think earth is flat and was built in seven days.

Which part tells it?

Anyway, there are still people in the USA who think earth is flat and was built in seven days.

There are people who believe that climate change is a myth and point to 'brainwashing' and 'ice age' to back up their claims.

Derp, shame, and failure. I believe honoring the original creators for IP when it comes to awards. Not creators of shovelware.

I could never take mainstream (game) critics/press serious. It doesn't even surprise me anymore.

However, I just sent an email to the linked media contact asking if the header could be changed into a true statement. Here's hope I might get heard out.

I could never take mainstream (game) critics/press serious. It doesn't even surprise me anymore.
Honestly, I think the problem with gaming journalism is that we treat it like its supposed to be academic, when in reality most game journalists just want to express there views.

Most game journalists are only expressing there subjective opinion about games, for fanbases who have similar tastes to them. Its only because gaming companies take there word at all seriously that they are treated as anything more than that.

I have nothing against game journalists, but to treat there opinion pieces as anything other than opinion pieces is missing the point IMO.

Back