What makes a show dated and not a period piece?

R.Graves

Confirmed Retard
people often refer to things as dated as a form of criticism or an excuse to dismiss shows or movies. im rewatching the sopranos right now and it very obviously isnt set today. in fact characters explicitly state its the 1990s/1999 om several occasions in the first season. in this way couldnt this story be considered more of a window into another time rather than simply being dated? or to be a period piece does a story have to be written well after it takes place?

like, take, MASH. it could be called dated because its from the 70s. but hell it was a period piece when it came out and thats still true today. it was meant to be a window into the 1950s/ the Korean war. what causes people to make these distinctions because what does or doesnt make a show "dated" seems arbitrary to me

Period piece is when something is made in current year (whatever that year is) about a different time than it it is from a relatively historical perspective. Dated is when something just ages. If everything that ages becomes a period piece then the term period piece loses meaning.

Period piece is when something is made in current year (whatever that year is) about a different time than it it is from a relatively historical perspective. Dated is when something just ages. If everything that ages becomes a period piece then the term period piece loses meaning.
but if a period piece is meant nothing more than to be a window into another time then arent dated things qualified to be that even more? theyre more likely to be accurate at any rate. or does period piece just mean things set before the advent of film?

If everything that ages becomes a period piece then the term period piece loses meaning.

[edit]

Let's put it like this. In the 70's they didn't have access to certain camera technology, makeup, acting lessons and narrative structure, cgi, practical effects, sound mixing and so on and so on. A film from the 70's would be shot as a film from the 70's would. A period piece is basically a film set in X year like the 70's but the "quality" of the film is modern (at the time). That's what distinguishes it.

It's the RPG argument of if every game is an RPG then what even is an RPG then. Same with Period Piece, if all that is required is a bit of time then that would make Saw X a period film. Sure it was just released but it'll be a period film in 10 years so why not cut to the chase and call it a period film now?

It devalues the terminology into nothingness.

Last edited:
What makes something dated? lot of things, bad special effects and CGI are one. Bad composite shots stick out in a lot otherwise great movies, Robocop and Tremors for example. The bad CGI era of film from the mid 90's to the mid 00's dates a bunch of films that didn't want to pay ILM.

From where I stand

A dated game, for example, is a 16 bits pixelated visual. but a period game is a 4K graphic faking 16 bits pixelated visual.

I don't know what the girls are doing in their bathroom but I don't want any part of their "period game".

The real question is "What makes something age well vs what makes something age badly" and I guess that would be down to cultural standards. This doesn't just mean how PC something is, or even technological wise, but those are aspects to consider.

Instead, lets take it from gaming, as games tend to age worse over time.
Lets take Fallout 2 and New Vegas.
Both are two genres of RPG, but contain a lot of the same mechanics.
Both are, honestly kind of rough to play to a modern standard, this isn't always "dumbing down" but can be attributed to mechanics working better elsewhere or something not working.
F2 has a lot of issues, and it's hard to consider it timeless. While I wouldn't say it's aged poorly either in its writing, a lot of the mechanics are clunky.
The UI is terrible, the combat is slow and the AI is dumb as shit.
There have been times when a Companion has left me to die, leading to combat being frustrating and the whole process being slow. Games like Wasteland 2 managed to overcome this by allowing you to control companion in combat. It's a quality of life improvement, but the actual gameplay and story in Wasteland 2 isn't as engaging as Fallout 2.

Now lets take a look at New Vegas. Gameplay wise, it features many of the same issues that F3 suffers from. They are both built on the same dated engine, bugs occur all the time and gameplay wise, it isn't the most exciting shooter.
If you were looking at this game under the lens of being an FPS in 2010, it would have failed on that merit.
However, the RPG mechanics, much like with F2, save it from being lost to time.
The writing is strong, the choice and consequences give the game replay value, the skill checks add another interesting element to the game.
While New Vegas can be considered dated, it's still fondly looked back on, and will People will be able to get through its dated gameplay because everything else has aged pretty well.
F2 will get less players flited through, but again, People would look past the dated mechanics because there is something to be enjoyed there.

Now, lets take a look at movies, and one that really brings me back to a particular time is the Scary Movie franchise. It's a product of its time, and again, much like F2, People will filter through and watch it. However, that number will decrease as time wears on. People who watch it now likely watched it back then, and those who didn't watch it back then will have no interest in it now. It parodies the films of yesterday rather than being a genre parody. However, People still remember it, it's aged poorly but it exists as a product of its time.
Now lets take a look at Epic Movie, a movie which aged like death before it came out. The overreliance of movies of the day was only ever going to make it a disposable product. Back then, I could imagine someone saying it was their favourite film, but today, I doubt anyone has watched it unironically in years.
It's a film which exists for a certain time, rather than be a product of its time.

It's funny, because recently I have gone back and watched some very early Nostalgia Critic, mostly out of my own nostalgia, and while they've aged poorly, there's a certain, innocent early Youtube charm to them. It really does go back to that idea of some guy making a weird youtube video and uploading it for People to see. There is something to be said for that early kind of internet humour, and you can see how it evolved into what it is today.
There's a good video by a YTer called "Mic the Snare" who had a look back the the Black Eyed Pears album "The END" and yeah, it hasn't aged well, but it's a product of a bygone era.

Maybe something being a product of its time should be something different from "Hasn't aged well", because there's still something of value there.
I don't know if I could ever put Black Eyed Peas in the same category as Epic Movie, they hold too much for that.

The cgi in Alien 3 is dated. The movie is not. Close the thread ya dork.

I could make some weak puns about menstruation and dates. Christmas hampers usually contain dates but do not contain bludclaarts.

A dated game, for example, is a 16 bits pixelated visual.
The hilarity of this is that many 16 bits games have aged far more gracefully (graphically and mechanically) than many early 3D games and even into the PS2 games.

I've liked kaiju (giant monster) movies for a long time. When I was in my late teens, I bought the movie Reptilian and watched it. The CGI is grossly dated by today's standards. When the movie was made, it was the future. Now, we're like "Huh?" upon looking at it.

Ditto the CGI in Babylon 5. A friend of mine gave me her old Babylon 5 box sets out of a bigger cache of DVDs she was looking to offload. In the '90s, it was futuristic. Now, we look at that shit and laugh. Nothing like today's CGI such as in the Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog movies that came out within the last few years.

IDK what yall on about but... bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese is delish.

The hilarity of this is that many 16 bits games have aged far more gracefully (graphically and mechanically) than many early 3D games and even into the PS2 games.

As a lifelong gamer, I agree with that statement. Not every gaming franchise from the 16-bit era had to make that leap to 3D. Not all did it well. Mario and Legend of Zelda both made that leap very well. So did Final Fantasy. Sonic? Not so much. I tried playing Sonic Adventure and Heroes and couldn't get through a stage in either game without suffering from camera issues, especially when going through loops. I kept falling through loop-de-loops all too often because of the shitty camera. The 2D Genesis games aged far better and thus hold up. There's a good reason why, until Sonic Mania came out, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the last great Sonic game ever made. Mania took what made that and the other Genesis Sonic games great and improved on it all.

Bubsy? Castlevania? Those are two other games that didn't make the leap to 3D very well. Bubsy 3D had tank controls that were utter shit, and that was before dual analog sticks became the industry standard for video game controllers. Castlevania 64 suffered from similar camera issues to the 3D Sonic games.

Sonic? Not so much. I tried playing Sonic Adventure and Heroes and couldn't get through a stage in either game without suffering from camera issues, especially when going through loops. I kept falling through loop-de-loops all too often because of the shitty camera. The 2D Genesis games aged far better and thus hold up. There's a good reason why, until Sonic Mania came out, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the last great Sonic game ever made. Mania took what made that and the other Genesis Sonic games great and improved on it all.
You can't say any of this because the 3D Sonic games are apparently good according to some Sonic fans, and everyone that thinks otherwise is a blind hater.

Jokes aside, i have a complicated relationship with Sonic Adventure 1. I vividly remember back in 2000 my parents getting me a Dreamcast bundled with Sonic Adventure 1 (basically the same strategy they did with Sonic 1 bundled with the Genesis), and like all dumb children i enjoyed the hell out of it. Still thought Big The Cat's gameplay was absolutely moronic and completely counter-intuitive to the series's main gameplay. So i have massive nostalgia googles towards it, and i will admit that i genuinely still enjoy Sonic, Tails and Knuckles gameplay (and Gamma to a lesser extent) whenever i replay the game (i won't deny the bad camera in several areas of the stages). But it has aged pretty badly in several areas (those cutscene animations) and most other 3D Sonic games after have also aged pretty poorly, specially when you get into the mid 2000s.

I will say Sonic Generations is a pretty solid game, and arguably the best 3D game in the franchise. But ye, most of the good stuff when it comes to Sonic are his 2D entries, even if there's a couple of bad ones in there (Sonic 4 sucks).

Back