What's new?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dark Knight
  • Start date Start date
D

Dark Knight

I just recently started getting my PC Gamers again so I don't know too much about what's out.

Anybody have some reccomendations?

Smackrazor

This is definately the wrong place to ask. I haven't got a new game since '98.

[TABLE border=5' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='15' bgcolor='#000000' bordercolor='#808080' bordercolorlight='#C0C0C0' bordercolordark='#000000][TR][TD]

[/center]
[TABLE border=0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' bgcolor='#000000][TR][TD]
[TD][center][font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif" color="red][a href=mailto: [email]sea_man_stains__@hotmail.com[/email]]Smackrazor[/a][/center]
[font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif" color="silver]Webmaster: [a href=//www.pipboy2000le.f2s.com]PIPBoy 2000 LE[/a]
Co-webmaster: [a href=//www.diepokemon.f2s.com]NPA[/A][/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]​

Now that sure is strange...

I wonder why it put my name as the title? Board bug?

>[TABLE border=5' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='15' bgcolor='#000000'
>bordercolor='#808080' bordercolorlight='#C0C0C0' bordercolordark='#000000][TR][TD]
>

>[/center]
>[TABLE border=0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' bgcolor='#000000][TR][TD]
>[TD][center][font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif"
>color="red][a href=mailto: [email]sea_man_stains__@hotmail.com[/email]]Smackrazor[/a][/center]
>[font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif"
>color="silver]Webmaster: [a href=//www.pipboy2000le.f2s.com]PIPBoy 2000 LE[/a]
>
>Co-webmaster: [a href=//www.diepokemon.f2s.com]NPA[/A][/TD][/TR]
>[/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE border=5' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='15' bgcolor='#000000' bordercolor='#808080' bordercolorlight='#C0C0C0' bordercolordark='#000000][TR][TD]
[center]
[IMG SRC=//users3.cgiforme.com/smackrazor/banner.cgi/img][/center]
[TABLE border=0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' bgcolor='#000000][TR][TD]
[TD][center][font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif" color="red][a href=mailto: [email]sea_man_stains__@hotmail.com[/email]]Smackrazor[/a][/center]
[font face=arial, helvetica, ms sans serif" color="silver]Webmaster: [a href=//www.pipboy2000le.f2s.com]PIPBoy 2000 LE[/a]
Co-webmaster: [a href=//www.diepokemon.f2s.com]NPA[/A][/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]​

Well...
cool titles out there:

Thief 2, NFS 5, Soldier of Fortune, NoX, Start Trek Armada...

I have all of these, but I can't play them because my PC sucks!

Hey MatuX

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-00 AT 08:39AM (GMT)[p]What's your PC configuration, then ?

In case anybody's interested, mine is :
IBM/Cyrix 6x86 pr200 mx
32 mb EDO ram
2 GB Samsung HD
2.5 GB Seagate medalist HD
Diamond Viper v550 graphics card
Nothing to be proud of, really.

to make message worth posting here :
I wonder what you'll need to play Fallout 3(hope nothing hard-core though). F1 and F2 were really low-demanding for your system

RE: Hey MatuX

I agree with that! My computer also is pretty slow by today's standards (P 166, 32 megs, 2 mb, standard video card). That is actually why I purchased fallout. I heard great things about it, but first I had to check and make sure my system could run it well.

I always wanted Baldur's Gate, so I checked the system requirements, bought it, but of course, it didn't run too well on my computer. I know you can "turn down" the graphics and such, but it always bothers me knowing that I am playing a game that could look better, if I had the hardware. It is like a feeling deep inside me saying, "Your are playing this game with reduced graphics, why bother?!" So I always am happy to find a game I can run as it was meant to run, and a game that will keep me occupied for a long time to come. Hopefully the Fallout games can do this for me.

It is kind of funny because I am discovering the great games of years ago, now. I really like it when a game that is good, but not too demanding on the system is released. Hopefully, because of my recent purchase of Fallout/Fallout 2 I won't need to worry about purchasing more "playable" games for quite some time.

And maybe, just maybe, I will be able to run Fallout 3 as well. And if I can't I will have to get a new computer just so I can play it. *laugh*

Just wanted to share my thoughts,

Grondar

I do like low requirements for games. Runs much smoother even on my system.

AMD Athelon-700
224MB SDRAM
8GB HD
6GB USB hotswap Drive
20GB HD
Voodoo3 3000
Creative Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer with one HELL of a speaker system.
56x CDROM
4x/4x/8x RW-CDROM

It's taken me a while to build my system up like this.

And the most ironic point.....I run a lot of DOS games....go figure....

I have a
Pentium 2 233
32mb RAM......70ns...without parity control...the first 16mb of the 72pins era! I mean, the slowest ones!
4 HARD DISKS, 3 of 1gb and one of 4gb
SiS 6326 with 4mb only DirectX 3d accel
Sound Blaster 32 AWE with 2mb
28x CD-ROM

My computer sucks bad, it's completly inneficient the way it's builded, but I compensate all that with my nice cablemodem ;)))

There was a time when I started to visit all the abandonware sites, looking for some cool classics, wow men, there're lots of nice things out there that I forgot a long time ago...

Aah, I have a tip for you guys who doesn't want to throw $50 in a new game that you don't know how it's going to run with your PC...
-- W4R3Z --

roshambo, you have a monster in there! 224Mb SDRAM, 34GB HD?????? lol!
I'm looking forward to get a new computer..
What I have in mind is:

Pentium 3 850 (Athlon is very expensive here :-()
128Mb SDRAM
21Gb HD
GeForce 256
Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer
10x/48x DVD-ROM

About Fallout 3.. Don't worry, if they're making it, it isn't going to see the light until 1 or 2 years....

Typical

Now that's something you don't see everyday. I mean, with such a kick-ass computer it would be logical to play more demanding games for your system, roshambo. But maybe you do a lot of other stuff (like photo- or video-editing). Heh, if low-demanding games interest you more than those visual spectacles, back in the old days people must have cared more about the content of the game than about how it looks.
I've plugged in that viper card only recently, though. And now I can play stuff like Quake 2. If f3 comes out over (more than) a year, that means I can play it with today's (my old) technology.
YAHOO !!!!
But that also means I have to wait another year (or more).
I'm confused http://fallout.gamestats.com/forum/Images/happy.gif http://fallout.gamestats.com/forum/Images/sad.gif

Hey who's to say..

>
>I do like low requirements for
>games. Runs much smoother
>even on my system.
>
>AMD Athelon-700
>224MB SDRAM
>8GB HD
>6GB USB hotswap Drive
>20GB HD
>Voodoo3 3000
>Creative Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer with one
>HELL of a speaker system.
>
>56x CDROM
>4x/4x/8x RW-CDROM
>
>It's taken me a while to
>build my system up like
>this.
>
>
>And the most ironic point.....I run
>a lot of DOS games....go
>figure....

Hey who's to say DOS games suck? Man, some of my best experiences with games originated from DOS. Hell, I do all my C/C++ programming in DOS (with DJGPP). It's hella better than Windows for stability.

Although when you play those games which base their speed on the processor, it can get pretty wierd.. What's really sad is playing a game on a 386-sx 16mhz and having it run too fast because it was engineered for an 8086.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

RE: Hey who's to say..

I wasn't saying that DOS games suck. In fact, the old DOS games that had no great graphics....

Actually had a game.

They HAD to or else the game was sunk.

Which is what game producers have forgotten, for the most part....

All those kidies who want better graphics and don't care about the game itself.

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-00 AT 09:11PM (GMT)[p]look down

Yes, there WAS a thread to make 'cool' graphics when 3DFX stepped in : you know, lens flare, texture morphing and other techno stuff. It still is : look at Heavy Metal: FAKK 2 trailer, it shows she-hero's... ahem... breasts shakin', and pretty graphical animation too. And there's nothing we can do: games are 'games', for children! They will buy anything that's 'cool'!

However, I believe, stunning graphics create atmosphere of the game. It can cause headaches with all colored spots and lens flares, burn your eyes out and make you feel like you're in some kind of psychodelic nightmare,
OR
it can bring the magic in the game. Same goes for full-motion video, story and interactivity. Remember Wing Commander 4? All movies, no play. SiN? All the interactivity in the world, plus cool levels, but it was absolutely useless and had no feel of unity. As for the story - I guess we're here to play the game, not to read a book.

Bottomline:

Graphics is a tool, it cannot be used as a final criteria for the decision to whether you'll spend $50 on a game, nor it should be ostractised for gamemakers' attempts to meet what they thought were public's demands.

P.S. - Oh, and you are all welcome to point out my mistakes in spelling or misused words - I have to practice, y'know. Graduation is near, after all...

Homepage http://members.xoom.com/russiandude/APTYP.html

Oh, and...

...I know nowhere in your message you were profiling gamemakers or declaring graphics 'evil of the world'. Kiddies. What are you gonna do?
But most of the kiddies have their Pukemons, Gameboys, Playstations, Sega Saturns, Dreamcasts and other relatively cheap gaming platforms. Therefore, most of the good graphics should be on them, right?

Nope, only Dreamcast can effectively compete with fully equipped PC. It's cheaper, though. And this is one of the main reasons why there is no Pukemon on PC - PC's gaming audience is mainly 'teens', pretty empty-headed too, percentage of the ones who doesn't care for 'coolness' is lower, but at least they are more capable of reasoning. This is why we have violence issue problem, not 'excessive fluffiness' problem.

Oh, and if kiddies want better graphics, why do they like Pukemon - for 32bit textures? Because media declares it as 'being cool'? Or is it because they just like the game? Maybe some people just have to learn from the financial success of Pukemon and make a game on PC that would have the same popularity?

No simple answer.

P.S.-I was merely practicing my English and typing skills, don't flame me! I didn't want to offend you, O Mighty Roshambo Warrior!

Homepage http://members.xoom.com/russiandude/APTYP.html

Well, I've got a Pentium III 600 Mhz, 128 MB of 133 mhz Ram (SDram, I believe), 27.3 GB Hard Drive, RIVA TNT 2 (173 Mhz one- faster than the other), 19" monitor (.24 dpi) as well as the other stuff.

I can run whatever game I want....but I have't bought any game in about 5 months. My average 2 years ago was buying 2 games a month.....

Strange, no?

>stunning graphics create atomsphere of the game

It could help yes but... You see, there were just 4 or 5 games that really made my heart start pounding trying to save *my own* life and almost all of them are relatively old games. Doom, Fallout, Out of this World, Flashback, and some other that I forgot... (these are the most known)

But... Fallout has not stunning graphics but... I never felt something like what I feel inside The Glow... Or the first level of Out of this World, or the third episode of Doom.... nobody can tell me that Doom is not a great piece of art!

In my point of view, graphics should be just an add-on. But, it's a fact that most of the actual tech research is completly based on graphics and, in a less way, AI.
Of course, plots and story-lines can't be researched, but, they lack in almost all the games out there.

New GREAT games that has cool graphics are (what I think) Half-Life, Thief, Jagged Alliance 2, Outcast, Rainbow Six... No one else... All the rest are just pure graphics stuff (and other just a piece of crap).
And I can list a reeeaaalllyyy long list of old games that made me to not stop playing them until I finished!

Doom is one damn great game..

There IS something about DOOM that cannot be found in any other 3D game. Maybe it's the sounds, maybe just the textures, but DOOM has a kind of magic behind it.

I especially like the music from DOOM 1, it brings back so many memories. Nearly everyone who played DOOM 1 when it first came out remembers Level 1's music: http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/doom1e1m1.mid

Boy that song is classic.

If you want a new version of DOOM complete with TCP/IP playing, jumping, skins, 32 players, swimable water, better graphics, etc. Go to http://frag.com/legacy/ to get DOOM Legacy.

-Xotor-

>>stunning graphics create atomsphere of the game
>
>It could help yes but... You
>see, there were just 4
>or 5 games that really
>made my heart start pounding
>trying to save *my own*
>life and almost all of
>them are relatively old games.
>Doom, Fallout, Out of this
>World, Flashback, and some other