Which FRM displays standing still?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Josan12, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Josan12

Josan12 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 15, 2007
    Ok, i need help with a small but important
    aspect of FRM's:

Which FRM displays the critter standing
    absolutely still and doing nothing? I presume it must be
    one frame from a particular FRM - maybe AA?
    (idle)

2. Nimrod

Nimrod It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 24, 2007
    I believe it is the first frame of the "Idle" animation.

3. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Thanks Nimrod. Any differing opinions?

4. Wild_qwerty

Wild_qwerty Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 2, 2004
    The FRMs are named by a prefix-XXXX-suffix convention.

the prefix is normally not that importent, but is devided into two letters the first letter is the chracter type

h - hero
    n - npc
    m - monster

the second is the gender

m - male
    f - female
    a - androgonous

the suffix is also devided into first and second letters.

the first represents the weapons the player is using

a - unarmed etc....

the seconds represents the action the critter is performing

a - idle
    b - walk etc...

so....

aa - stand idle unarmed
    ja - stand idle with rifle etc...

For a full lsit you should rely read this thread by Ruin onthe idex of FRMs

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5232

It also contains the naming format for talkign heads

5. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    Hey Wild_Qwerty, i have a couple of questions for you (or anyone who understands FRM's and offsets):

1) I want to understand how two different FRM sequences
    stitch together in terms of overall offset. Can someone please explain to me how the overall FRM offsets work?

2) Can someone recommend a good way to test FRM's in-game other than copying over the HMWARR FRM's and
    starting a new game? The problem with this technique is that you can't get most weapons at the temple of trials.

6. Hotel California

Hotel California Mildly Dipped

Feb 6, 2005
    You could place some of the weapons on the ToT map. That'd work ...

7. Wild_qwerty

Feb 2, 2004
    There are a couple of points to be aware of:
    - Frames Offset is different to Frame Offset. Think of the Frames Offset as the master offset for all the other frames.
    - Frames Offset should always be x = '0' and y = '0' except for the critters primary FRM (******AA.frm) which needs to be centred in the hex.

If you go to this page I think I covered how the offsets work under step two

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/How_To_Use_FOT_Critters_In_FO2

In answer to how the engine transitions from one FRM to the next, well it appears to match the last frame of the current frm to the first frame of the next frm. You should noticed that pretty much all the FRMs have the same first and last frames as the frms they transition from (running and walking frms are a little bit different)

eg 1: the first and lat frame of the AA.frm are the same as the first and last frame of AQ.frm (punch)

eg 2: BA = Knockdown BACKWARDS last frame is the same as the first frame of CJ = Stand Up (On back)

eg 3: the sequence for a firing a rilfe goes like this:
    1) JH = Raise rifle
    2) JJ = Fire rifle
    3) JI = Lower rifle

In this case the last frame of JH is the first frame of JJ and the last frame of JJ is the first frame of JI

Hope this all makes sense, just open up a few FRMs and take a look.

8. Josan12

Oct 15, 2007
    @ Wild Qwerty,

Thanks for the tips, mate. Much appreciated.

I have some more questions for you as you seem
    to be the FRM offset man....

1) In case you didnt know, im extracting the FO2
    original sprites and editing them (for the New NPC
    armour mod) and then recompiling them into new
    FRM's using Frameanimator.

You say that the frameS
    offset should always be set to 0,0 as the FO2 engine automatically follows the frameS offset of the AA sequence. But some of the original FRM frameS offset are not set to 0,0. As a result, I am having a few problems making the sprite stay in one place when switching from one sequence to another. Should i disregard this and set ALL frameS offset to 0,0? Can you help?

2) Walking: in one of your guides you talk about how you can plug in a script to Framesanimator to automatically set the correct X,Y walking framE offsets. Being the complete dolt that i am at understanding anything script-like, can you explain to me in laymens terms how to plug in a script to Frameanimator to set walking for Vic (10 frames) and sulik (7 frames)?

I'll PM this to you in case you dont read this thread (so no need to reply to both)

9. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    Ahh, freaking movement animations :D Those scripts didn't work for me... Maybe because I was using character that is moving forward (not on the spot). But Wild Qwerty figured out how to get it working without scripts.

Little more info about First Frame Offset thingie. I figured it out when I was working on the new critters:

10. Wild_qwerty

Feb 2, 2004
    The problem is that you are going about this the hard way. All going well you shouldn't need to touch an offset button at all.

The trick is to not loose the offset information in the first place. How are you extracting the BMP files from the FRM? What program do you use?

You should be using Frame Animator to extract the files.

1) Open the FRM with frame animator
    2) Click 'File' and 'Save Project As'
    3) Select a location to save the *.fpr file and the bmp/png file.

The fpr file contains all of the offsets, once you have edited the bmp files you just need to open the *.FPR file with frame animator and create the new FRM.

The only thing you need to be careful about is if you have increased the size of the bmp it can throw the offset information out. This is easy enough to get around. You just need to increase the size of all the bmp files in a given orientation by the same amount.

If you get stuck let me know, and I'll write a tutorial up (time permitting).