Who else here LIKED Fallout 4?

I dislike being boxed in.
Then you're not role-playing. You're participating in a power fantasy.

A good RPG is capable of locking away certain options and paths based on the type of character one role-plays but still provides the option to re-open those paths if one dedicates themselves to learning the appropriate skills. The open approach of Skyrim and Fallout 4 have been criticised frequently that one can see that there is an negative trend being practised by Bethesda.

An example of such a good RPG is The Age of Decadence, a game where your chosen role is capable of unlocking and locking away options not suited to your chosen role i.e if you play a Grifter, you will rely more on your grifting skills than your combat skills to handle situations etc.:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/

Then you're not role-playing. You're participating in a power fantasy.

Given I defend video games as an art form as well as comic books and fantasy novels, I find the idea of the two being mutually exclusive to be quite problematic. History is full of larger than life epic heroes who accomplish many amazing and wonderful things while telling timeless stories. Odysseus, himself, is the smartest AND most badass man in the world.

Roleplaying is essentially telling a story with a tool set.

Generally, I think that's a good idea as it maximizes the "do it your way" of the game. I dislike being boxed in.
Not being boxed in works only until a certain point. An option to become the Harbinger of the Companions and Master Thief at the same time, makes about as much sense as an NCR Legionary. The two factions are direct opposites of one another, so joining one should logically cut off your options to join the other. Which is why Bethesdrones bitched when you couldn't join every faction in NV

Given I defend video games as an art form as well as comic books and fantasy novels, I find the idea of the two being mutually exclusive to be quite problematic. History is full of larger than life epic heroes who accomplish many amazing and wonderful things while telling timeless stories. Odysseus, himself, is the smartest AND most badass man in the world.
c86.jpg

Not every game out there is art. Some are clearly not meant to be taken as art. I mean, I definitely would not attempt to portray games like Manhunt and RapeLay as art or else I'd be regarded as a lunatic with no standards by the general public.

Comic books as art :roffle:. Nice joke there.

But even Odysseus is playing a role; one of a guile hero who overcomes his trials with wit, cunning and deceit. It was clear that the writer of Odysseus (I presume Homer) knew to box him into his role rather than go over the top with the larger than life aspect, though the level of intelligence on Odysseus is the larger than life thing. If you were to tell me he had Heracles' strength and the invulnerability of Achilles, I'd laugh such a story out of the room because all I would see is a Marty Stu, not a classic Greek hero. There is a reason why many Greek heroes have different sets of skills.

Roleplaying may be telling a story with a tool set but the tool set ensures that the participants of the story remains on track on their chosen story and does not lose focus on their set story. If the participants becomes free to do whatever they want, it devolves to a power fantasy and the fun for anyone seeking immersion is lost.

One other minor nitpick, it's not history, it is mythology; there is a distinction.

Here's the thing about that; every game has some form of roleplaying in it. In Metal Gear you roleplay as Snake, or Big Boss, or whatever it gets weird.

Where's the line between an RPG and an action game?

Honestly, this whole "True rpg" stuff is just semantics. It doesn't really matter as long as the games good.

But even Odysseus is playing a role; one of a guile hero who overcomes his trials with wit, cunning and deceit. It was clear that the writer of Odysseus (I presume Homer) knew to box him into his role rather than go over the top with the larger than life aspect, though the level of intelligence on Odysseus is the larger than life thing. If you were to tell me he had Heracles' strength and the invulnerability of Achilles, I'd laugh such a story out of the room because all I would see is a Marty Stu, not a classic Greek hero. There is a reason why many Greek heroes have different sets of skills.

Odysseus kills 200 people in a single battle. :)

Odysseus is a adulterous cunt who can do no wrong. Hated him.

Yeah, a good set of flaws can cover up for most of the more awesome elements of a character. The Greeks loved invincible badasses who, nevertheless, had huge personal issues.

It's why hubris was created as a word.

But...Gordon Freeman literally has no character. He never even talks!!!

Is there a crowbar melee weapon in New Vegas? I may want to start another build like that.

Oh my god...I finally see it! The less character a character has...the better that character is as a character!!!
:jiggy:

Sadly, that's actually a design philosophy and why they made Ajay as dull and unresponsive as possible in Far Cry 4.

They didn't want the players to have a problem projecting themselves.

I do find it funny, though, that I posted a massive post about what I liked on the "Elements you didn't hate of Fallout 4" and there's dead silence.

Like people can't think of ONE thing they liked in the game.

Player control character only though.
You know, people complained when Bethesda added the stupid dialogue cross with only 4 slightly different dialogue options. What you're suggesting is to remove dialogue altogether and have your character silently obeying all directions given to them by NPCs

I do find it funny, though, that I posted a massive post about what I liked on the "Elements you didn't hate of Fallout 4" and there's dead silence.

Like people can't think of ONE thing they liked in the game.
Because we already have a thread for that

Back