Why are there no fallout comics?

R.Graves

Confirmed Retard
its a setting begging to have endless miniseries or maybe even on ongoing in the comic book world

cyberpunk 2077 has like 8 miniseries already
dark souls and bloodborne have official comics
assassins creed borderlands
call of duty and dead space
deus ex, devil may cry, dragon age, mass effect

honestly could go on forever listing games that got comic books.
a fallout tv show or movie is one thing but the comic book medium is the work horse. you can have new stories out every month regurlarly. multiple if the demand is there. why haven they even so much as tried? is all roads really all we're gonna get? that sucks ass. it could be as big as star wars comics if they wanted it to be. a miniseries in ronto another in miami, lets check in on the pitt 20 years later. they could do whatever aand it wouldnt take 15 years either.

is this something you guys would like to see? any specific pitches youd have in mind?

Fallout comics would be pretty great, I just hope that they’d be taken seriously and not just written as nothing but joke serials (though humor is to be expected obviously). I’d love a comic series about Sgt. Granite and his remnants taking odd jobs around the wasteland after Fallout 2.

Also based Ice Cream Man pfp.

I too wonder why neither Interplay nor Bethesda made deals with various authors and creators to make comics, books, cartoons, toys etc. Would be such a great opportunity to popularize IP to the wider public, gain attraction, money, fame, girls... Oh wait, but you know what I mean. So many thing could've been expanded on, I wish classic Fallouts had Star Wars Expanded Universe treatment with every background character having interesting background.

Didn't we already get a Fallout Comic in Penny Arcade's short story:
"One Man, And A Crate of Puppets"
Comix_00_smaller_fallout_poster_flat.jpg

Screenshot_20240506-125928_1.png

Does this count?

:confused:

NOTE: This was released a few months prior to Fallout 3. :ok:

I think it's due to Todd not wanted to be outdone by a writer not on the Bethesda team, and while it'll more likely be licensed out, he won't have much control into what goes on in the comic.

Lets not forget there are Elder Scrolls novels out there, and I don't think Todd had much input in how they were written.

I do agree however, the Fallout IP could do with being milked a little more than it already is. Bethesda are sitting on money with it, but instead they don't really do much with it.

There was a thread about this years ago, I remember suggesting that a lot of the historical events that we hear about in the games but don’t get to experience would make for cool comics. Stuff like Harold and Richard Grey’s expedition to Mariposa, the events of leading up to Maxson and co’s exodus from Mariposa, the group of Maxson’s men that split off and died at the Glow, the Brotherhood-Vipers war, Caesar and Graham getting captured by the Blackfoots, Raul’s backstory, Randall Clark’s diary, stuff like that.

Last edited:
There was a thread about this years ago, I remember suggesting that a lot of the historical events that we hear about in the games but don’t get to experience would make for cool comics. Stuff like Harold and Richard Grey’s expedition to Mariposa, the events of leading up to Maxson and co’s exodus from Mariposa, the group of Maxson’s men that split off and died at the Glow, the Brotherhood-Vipers war, Caesar and Graham getting captured by the Blackfoots, Raul’s backstory, Randall Clark’s diary, stuff like that.

That would be epic. I now have a want that I didn't have before I read this thread.

I think it's due to Todd not wanted to be outdone by a writer not on the Bethesda team, and while it'll more likely be licensed out, he won't have much control into what goes on in the comic.
Is it really true? I keep hearing that Todd Howard hates New Vegas for being better written and overall more beloved than his Fallouts, is there some evidence of Todd's envy?

NMA Todd: Is a deeply insecure jealous man who hordes the Fallout brand like Smeagol does the One Ring.

Actual Todd: Loves merchandising and licensing Fallout to every person who expresses interest.

Yeah I really don’t get the idea that Todd or anyone at Bethesda is petty enough to be jealous of New Vegas’s reception and not want anyone to touch the Fallout brand out of spite. The truth is that FNV wasn’t that much of a financial success, surely not enough of a success to justify sharing its profits with another company. Bethesda is in the money-making business, if licensing shit out isn’t significantly profitable then they aren’t going to bother.

Yeah I really don’t get the idea that Todd or anyone at Bethesda is petty enough to be jealous of New Vegas’s reception and not want anyone to touch the Fallout brand out of spite. The truth is that FNV wasn’t that much of a financial success, surely not enough of a success to justify sharing its profits with another company. Bethesda is in the money-making business, if licensing shit out isn’t significantly profitable then they aren’t going to bother.

Fuck, he even canonized the Penny Arcade parodies....which is a terrible idea but was probably designed to cross promo and get them to do more.

Is it really true? I keep hearing that Todd Howard hates New Vegas for being better written and overall more beloved than his Fallouts, is there some evidence of Todd's envy?
Not really it just feels that way because his hands are covered in shit so he can't help but make Fallout shitty every time he touches it

Actual Todd: Loves merchandising and licensing Fallout to every person who expresses interest.

I have literally never seen merch of new vegas or the classics it's only ever 3 and 4

Also based Ice Cream Man pfp.
new issue out next week. only had like 2 issues since october. image release something on schedule challenge (impossible)

anyways im not even sure which publisher should get fallout. definitely not BOOM! with how they handled buffy. IDW is really great at licensed books. definitely IDW or Dark Horse now that i think about it

a 4 or 5 issue miniseries about frank horrigan after the events of fallout 2 and him grappling with the fact that he himself is literally a mutant (weirdly not addressed in game) could be cool. maybe a bit fanficcy but thats comics and any stories you dont like can be easily ignored. truly the greatest medium out there

Definitely IDW in my opinion out of the two. Their Transformers and GI Joe run were some of my favorite ongoing series. I’d say Image could do something interesting too, but if we’re focusing more on writers than the publishers themselves, Johnathan Hickman alongside Chris Avellone would be my dream team for a Fallout comic series.

Johnathan Hickman
yes pls. al ewing, donny cates, alan moore (hell he wrote for crossed) get em all on there. a fallout ongoing following a character or character(s) cross country could be crazy

and yeah image could be cool but i dont like when books i read are constantly on hiatus

Last edited:
yes pls. al ewing, donny cates, alan moore (hell he wrote for crossed) get em all on there. a fallout ongoing following a character or character(s) cross country could be crazy

and yeah image could be cool but i dont like when books i read are constantly on hiatus

There's a great picture of me with Al Ewing and Kieron Gillen drunk at a party last year

Back