Win32:Injected-AZ

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
Ok, here's a weird one.

I've tried recently to download the Renegade Public Tools package (C&C:Ren editing tools), but seemingly, every single fucking package on the Internet seems to be corrupted and contains the Win32:Injected-AZ worm.

Or so avast tells me.

Is it possible for a single worm to infect .exe installers on totally separate servers and make them all unusable?

I bet it's most likely your own computer infecting them as soon as they're downloaded. What's the link? Lazy to google.

Or someone (being unaware) uploaded infected file in several places/it was rehosted in several places

or a false positive, I suggest installing another AV then test, some AV's do report false positives a lot, and that AV certainly does, so try another AV

if you get the same message from another AV, then the files are infected

What do you plan on doing with Renegade? Some of my favorite multiplayer ever, single player campaign was fun too, would have loved to see a sequel.

Stuff like this happen sometimes. I had a similar problem with avast some time ago with some files from the net. Similarly from differemt sources, avast marked them all as viruses, worms or something, so they went to recycle bin.
Interestingly, I later got same files, and avast didn't report any problems. It was updated, and probably that file (type) was marked as not-dangerous or something, so I guess it happens sometimes.

If I were you, I'd check around if other people who used that tool had similar problems, or did they computer malfunction afterwards etc.
If they didn't have any, you can just ignore it, and use the tool.

AVs tend to do that sometimes, I have couple of files/programs in my computer that avast marks as dangerous, yet I've had those files for years, and not a single problem.

Back