How to set CORRECT widescreen resolution for Fallout 2

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Magnus, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Magnus

Magnus Weapons Manufacturer Modder

Dec 6, 2007
    Hello!

You've just downloaded Fallout 2 from Steam, and it comes with both sfall and the high resolution patch. What a mess! And they're configured wrong, so the game gets scaled way too far up, people look like ants, the text is unreadable and the windows look all wrong on your widescreen monitor.

WHAT A MESS!

So let's fix that. First, open ddraw.ini and set the Graphics mode to 4, and graphicsWidth/Height to 1920x1080. Then open the f2_res_config.exe (the f2res.ini actually does nothing, you need to open this exe), and set the resolution to 960x540. Now start the game, and everything looks as it should.

See, the reason for all this is that you want to end up with a high-res patch config resolution that's somewhere near the game's original resolution, which is 640x480. Setting the sfall resolution to 1920x1080 means you can safely set the high-res patch resolution to 960x540, and that's basically a widescreen version of 640x480.

Why can't we have a widescreen resolution for a height of 480 pixels then, so the windows fill the screen completely and you get the experience the developers intended?

Because 480 * 16/9 is not a whole number! It's 853.3333333, and if you tell the high-res patch to try and render that, you will get what I call the PoopSmear effect, where the text looks horribly smudged and it looks like your monitor is covered in slush ice. Bad. So we need to select a height that has a 16/9 counterpart, and the closest one to 480 is 540.

Well, technically it's not the closest one, but what's important is that this can be doubled into 1920x1080. Because that 's a resolution your monitor can actually render, and the exact 2x relationship means that the 960x540 image will fit snugly inside your resolution without having to interpolate the pixels. Try with a different Sfall resolution, and you get the PoopSmear effect again. The holy grail is 1920x1080 in ddraw.ini, and 960x540 in the highres-config.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. chieftain486

chieftain486 War. War never changes...

Apr 9, 2017
    My personal preference is to set both ddraw.ini and Hi-Res patch to 1280x720. It's exactly 16/9, it shows more space than original, and it looks good enough on 40" screen. :)

3. Magnus

Dec 6, 2007
    But don't you get annoyed by everything being so small? Personal preference I guess. But yes, that's also an option.

4. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    1280x720px is the best, imo. It still looks true to the original but at the same time... better. I am using 1920x1080px in the mapper, because it makes it easier to create the maps, as you get a better overview of what you're working on.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Magnus

Dec 6, 2007
    But the menus are so small! How do you live with that dialogue screen? Is there a mod that scales them up to that size?

6. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    It's not *that* small and it doesn't bother me at all. Scaling it up would just make it more ugly.

7. Graham2077

Graham2077 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 16, 2014
    For someone who has a 1366x768 monitor, what would you recommend doing? I've always played 1/2 at that resolution, but I do want to experience them how they were originally intended. I feel like being able to see the entire map at times is not really the way it was supposed to be.

8. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    My experience with fallout started on a 15" CRT monitor, and playing HRP 1920x1080 on a monitor with the same resolution just brought back the initial impresion from that time.
    When my 15" monitor burned out, and had to switch to 17" crt, I actually *hated* that pixelated look fallout games had when using biger monitor.

@Magnus I don't quite understand what do you mean by closest to native resolution. I think You would achive the same with HRP resolution set to monitor native resolution and use separate scaler function to x2 in sfall, although i'm not aware if this function was taken down from most recent sfall, however it was present in RP2.3.3 native (sfall v 3.3).

9. burn

burn Look, Ma! Two Heads!
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    Some screenshots to show the difference might've been helpful.
    I go with 1280x800. Using settings from the first post, the game just dies with application error.

10. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    I always set hi-res patch using windowed mode, so I can resize the window freely.

11. Magnus

Dec 6, 2007
    If you use 1280x800 it sounds like you have a 16:10 monitor. In that case it probably can't display the higher 16:9 resolutions. Try these settings instead:

Sfall - 1920x1200 (and remember graphics mode 4)
    Highres - 960x600

I'll show you screenshots, but it will have to be in the end of July, I don't have a computer right now.