Stellaris thread, reviews, and opinions!

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Irwin John Finster, May 9, 2016.

1. Arnust

Arnust Maybe you've seen it, maybe, in a dream...

Feb 2, 2016
    Yes, just removed and dassit. The other changes in accord to that aren't even listed there.

Full patch notes here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ev-diary-105-2-0-cherryh-patch-notes.1069794/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    I'm also disappointed how expensive the expansions (DLCs) have remained.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  3. Chromevod

Chromevod Nope.

May 25, 2011
    To put aside Paradox's controversial DLC practices, I'm actually really enjoying Stellaris now. Though, that's not to say I didn't enjoy the game already. There was a lot to it and in terms of being a space 4X, it had usurped Galactic Civilizations for me. That has changed with the 2.0 update.

However the game has shifted from being what was essentially a regular 4X into something more like a grand strategy in line with many of the other games that Paradox makes. I guess the first big one is that the different FTL types are gone, and the game is entirely hyperlanes only. Instead of having Wormholes, Warp, and Hyperdrive, you instead just have the hyperdrive and can change how many lanes connecting systems to others there are. I personally left this at 1.0x, but I was also playing hyperdrive only leading up to the update anyway. What I've found is that this means the actual layout of the galaxy has some level of consequence. Even individual systems can have a consequence, as different types of stars can have different effects on ships, such as disabling shields or lowering sublight movement speed. Speaking of sublight speed, to go to another system, ships no longer just go to the edge of the system and head off, they actually have to cross systems to enter the appropriate hyperlanes (barring some fairly late-game tech changing matters). This makes thrusters actually an important tech to consider upgrading.

If there's a good choke point nearby your borders, it is prudent to try to expand in that direction to secure and fortify that entrance into your territory. The FTL traps have changed as well. Now they aren't just going to pull incoming ships immediately into range of your station/planet, but will instead lock a hostile fleet out of any hyperlanes except the one they entered from. You can, in essence, entrench. With the way army combat has changed, with planets having a maximum combat width, you can even have planets more than capable of withstanding and even winning prolonged battles against a numerically superior foe.

Then we get to the new method of expanding borders. No longer do colonized planets simply generate passive border growth. Instead you get the much more deliberate building of starbases. For some influence and minerals, you set up an outpost claiming an uncontrolled system as yours, or you spend influence to make a claim on someone else's system, and in a war can take control of that starbase (once again, barring certain government types who can skip that process). To that end, influence is almost entirely spent on this system. You need influence for megastructures, but other than that it's almost entirely for claiming systems. Even colonization is simply about making the colony ship and maintaining the colonization effort, and so long as the planet is in a system you have claimed and control, no more influence is needed. Leaders being hired through energy credits is a nice change as well.

tl;dr: Only FTL available is hyperlanes now, fortresses both planetary and in space are now viable, and expansion is slower but much more deliberate instead of passive in 2.0, which does not require the Apocalypse DLC to have.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Arnust

Arnust Maybe you've seen it, maybe, in a dream...

Feb 2, 2016
    That's a pretty good overview. I tested a bit on vanilla and it seems like s general change for the better. Less crap and bloat, more intertwined systems, yadda yadda. Pretty cool to have been announced a Star Wars mod overhaul by the guys that made the Star Trek one. I'm gonna wait for some hot fixes before commiting to another run, though. While warfare has been vastly improved the diplomacy around it is kind of a mess with constant plinking of enemy territory via constant status quo victories, which in turn will make them not be a candidate of rivalry, generally screwing over the empires in need of the rivalry influence gain for the claims, bugs and such.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018