The Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Kalessin, May 4, 2006.

1. Fins

Fins It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 31, 2017
    Russia exports ~45 billion USD worth of "not exactly specified or indicated" items (which i guess would include weapons export, among other things), but over 134 billion USD worth of oil and mineral fuels. Source. As for what Russia wants to have as its main export article - that's IT, and it's not a secret at all. If you can't even get those simple things right about one of world's largest countries and economies, how exactly am i expected to respect your opinion about such things? But i'm still trying. For now.

So, for now, i read your "real democracy" term, and i respectfully ask you to reconsider. What's "real democracy"? By definition, it's "rule of the majority". As far as i know, both our countries are not real democracies. Nor should they be ones, that is. Nor could they be ones, too.

But suppose for a moment that you're right and Finland is "more like a real democracy". Ok. But then, can you explain to me how, exactly, majority of people of Finland could allow this, this, this, this and this to happen, if it is said majority of Finns who de-facto rule the country? Do you think people of Finland just approved those things and gave 'em "go ahead", or would you rather think those things happen because people of Finland, whole nation i mean, - is not the force which ultimately rules the country and therefore had no say on those matters?

I am sorry for being somewhat bad news to you, if it's that. But truth is truth, however unpleasant. You shouldn't get angry about someone just sharing what he sees around, me thinks.

Real democracies are only possible small scale. I think, a city-state tops. Like Venice at some point of its history. Anything larger than that - just can't be ruled by all the people. Because it's too big, too complex, too difficult to know everything about. Because it gets way too possible for "bad guys" to do nasty things while pretty much noone else's watching. That piles up and grows into certain "elite circles", and quite soon and inevitably, select groups and sometimes individuals end up being supreme rulers. With or (more often) without most people of the country knowing anything about it. "Gray cardinal" is not a term without real-world meaning. Etc.

P.S. Noam Chomsky is one US citizen who's among world's brightest people. ~8th or so most-often-quoted scientists of all times, too (means he's about on par with Einstein and such). So how do you think he estimates power structure of United States? Democracy? Nope. He says it's "inverted totalitarian state". See, this is pretty much the same in every major country out there: democracy is only a spectacle, an illusion to have masses distracted and pacified. And it is very needed and very proper thing to have it this way - practically possible alternatives are much worse. But any time i see someone say "real democracy" about any big country, i just can't help but smile (sadly), 'cause you know, that's not how things work in real life.

2. Carib FMJ

Carib FMJ Nuka-Cola Chaser

Nov 8, 2003
    Looks at my pretty Talo Edition Tiger Ruger 10/22

Attached Files:

3. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Mostly Harmless

Oct 22, 2007
    That is a pretty stock. Talo does some pretty cool limited addition stuff. I love my Talo Wiley Clapp Colt.

I am not much of a wheel gun guy, but I saw the caliber and couldn't help myself.

Paperwork also came back for my newest little friend.

A little plastic surgery...

And it looks a bit more like it's cousin.

Happy Birthday, America!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. WillisPDunlevey

WillisPDunlevey Mildly Dipped

Feb 2, 2010
    I got some new stuff to post... need to get pix.

I jumped on a maxim 9 during their "Get a free can" sale (the maxim 9 is still in NFA jail).

I build some AR pistols and submitted stamps on them - so those should be coming in a few months.

I got the stamp back on my 9mm zenith and on my strike one - so good times.

WPD

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. TorontRayne

TorontRayne YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS TITLE Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    It's been a long time man. How ya been?

6. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Mostly Harmless

Oct 22, 2007
    Hey Willis!

Be curious to see what you think of that Maxim 9 in use. Local range has one as a rental, and I took it for a spin. Thought it was a lot like a really front-heavy Glock. I thought about picking one up, but it was at the intersection of 'just too expensive for an impulse buy' and 'not quite can't live without it', so I haven't done it yet.

I have picked up a few odds and ends over the course of a busy year. Finally picked up a Hi Power, this one having been worked over by Kurt Singletary, who is a Hi Power-oriented gunsmith of some renown in the states:

Runs fine on premium grade, but is super-sensitive to the OAL on the cheap stuff, like Winchester White Box. A very marginally long FMJ round will nose up the slide lock periodically, particularly towards the last few rounds in the magazine.

Little bit of CZ love:

CZ Tactical Sport Orange. It is a gun purpose-built for the USPSA Limited class. I plan to start using it as a replacement for my USP Expert or X5 when I want to shoot Limited Minor. Very low bore axis, light slide, and all the weight is in the frame, where it should be. Shoots very fast shot-to-shot, though a bit slower on the move because of the extra weight. Sort of like me these days.

Fancy Dan:

Buddy of mine made a speculative investment in Dan Wesson A2s on the belief that they were going to be added to the approved handgun roster in Maryland. They didn't qualify at the last minute, and he was stuck with 10 of the things he could not sell in his state. I wasn't really in the market for one, but I wanted to help him out, so I bought it and had it shipped directly to Evolution Armory for a full custom work-over. Grips are mammoth ivory, a little north of 10,000 years old.

Got three more 1911s over at Nighthawk getting the full work-over. I am slowly reaching the 'done' stage, though, at least with 1911s. Want a Guncrafter, maybe another Brown, and would pick up a Baer if I saw one at a good price. Also still contemplating a Korth. But otherwise, I am at a happy place in life where I can walk through most gun stores and walk out empty handed these days.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005
    God. Every single time I see a 1911 I want one.

Hope you don't mind me sharing some movie pics of guns I wish I owned.

Mossberg 500 Bullpup

Browning M1919

Any gun that is bullpup really. I do not really care how reliable they are. I like obscure firearms. Sue me. :)

Probably due to Robocop and Terminator. I mean look at this thing!

8. WillisPDunlevey

WillisPDunlevey Mildly Dipped

Feb 2, 2010
    Hey Johnny- I got the Maxim 9 because it was $930 out the door (including tax and $65 NFA transfer fee + it came with a free octane 9 worth ~$450... so it was a really good deal).

Toront- I had one of those Bushmaster M17 bullpups (second to last pic you posted) back in the 1990s. It was really bad. One of the only guns I actively got rid of.

9. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    The 1911 is a very sexy pistol. If I were to get me a pistol, that'd be the one. Maybe a Delta Elite for the 10 mm goodness.

10. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005
    Like I said some of those guns are more collector items really. No wonder they never caught on with so many foul ups. Funny enough I thought that one looked a little...off. Cheaply made or something. What were the issues specifically with it? Poor materials/overheating? Jamming?