The Guns and Ammo Thread

Mikael Grizzly said:
JohnnyEgo said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
The M16 is also too expensive compared to the AKM. :P

Until you need to make that shot at 600m...:P

But when that guy on the other side of the wall just needs to die... The Ol' Russian is the man to call.

The M16 is a better weapon than the AK, not by design, but by refinement over the years that have gradually made improvements in reliability and accuracy. One can see many parallels in the evolution of the Porsche 911, what was once criticized as being just done wrong is now revered as on of, if not *the* best.

I think it all comes down to who's got their finger on the trigger. If your force is composed of people with little or no training, your support is at a minimum, and even basic maintenance is unlikely to be performed, the AK is your go-to gun. It's easy to make, easy to field, and will probably go bang when you pull the trigger.

That said, I'd take an M16 any day over an AK. With a little knowledge and maintenance, they are almost as reliable, and the accuracy is far superior.

Anyways, the latest addition, with my new Ops 15th suppressor:
gsbr3.jpg

As for lower receiver preferences, I am a creature of habit:
lower.jpg

fallout ranger said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
JohnnyEgo said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
The M16 is also too expensive compared to the AKM. :P

Until you need to make that shot at 600m...:P

But when that guy on the other side of the wall just needs to die... The Ol' Russian is the man to call.

The M16 is a better weapon than the AK, not by design, but by refinement over the years that have gradually made improvements in reliability and accuracy. One can see many parallels in the evolution of the Porsche 911, what was once criticized as being just done wrong is now revered as on of, if not *the* best.

Who needs refinement when you can manufacture fifty thousand AKs, get fifty thousand guys, drug them up and point them in the general direction of the enemy?

Worked well for the Red Army in the Second World War.

- post not entirely serious

Mikael Grizzly said:
Who needs refinement when you can manufacture fifty thousand AKs, get fifty thousand guys, drug them up and point them in the general direction of the enemy?

Worked well for the Red Army in the Second World War.

Because, you can take 10 thousand well trained, well armed marines and obliterate the numerically superior force with nil for casualties.

Worked well for the US in Operation Desert Storm.

DammitBoy said:
Because, you can take 10 thousand well trained, well armed marines and obliterate the numerically superior force with nil for casualties.

Worked well for the US in Operation Desert Storm.

fallout ranger said:
Well, the iraqis aren't exactly the best fighters.

Thats why they use bombs and threats instead of a lot of bullets.

I'd rather have a accurate semi-auto than have a good AK. Even if lubricants unavailable(like post-apocalypse) I'd probably go for a bolt action.

But after all that, the AK is dead sexy IMHO.

Fahrplan said:
Kyuu said:
Hey now, this is supposed to be about guns damnit!

Now, for our resident gun experts...

Since this gun was never produced, is there anything along a similar line being developed?

And on another note, why is the US military so goddamn resistant to change that the G11 was never even really given a fair shot? I mean, I'm no gun expert, but even old military farts would've had to be impressed with the awesomeness of the G11.

Well, it is too expensive.
actually, it's not the price that frightened off the army.

it's the fact that the weapon was far ahead of its time & just too alien. the fact that the weapon looked like clockwork inside didnt help much either of course, since the army was concerned about the difficulty of cleaning it.

i'm sure if they had given it time to fully mature (both cartridge & weapon), it wouldve been kickass.

PS: a lot of people dont know this, but the magazine of the G11 is on top of the weapon. it recoils back when shot in burstmode. very neat to look at.

SuAside said:
the fact that the weapon looked like clockwork inside didnt help much either of course, since the army was concerned about the difficulty of cleaning it.
Yes, but H&K was pretty up-front about the fact that the gun getting dirty in the first place shouldn't be as much of a problem since there was no need to eject spent cartridges. 'Course, it's understandable to be skeptical of such a claim, but I never saw anything that said jams due to dirt was ever a problem with it during testing. Only problem was cook-offs, and that was solved by using a different propellant.
i'm sure if they had given it time to fully mature (both cartridge & weapon), it wouldve been kickass.
Exactly. Stupid old fogies...
PS: a lot of people dont know this, but the magazine of the G11 is on top of the weapon. it recoils back when shot in burstmode. very neat to look at.
Yeah I actually noticed that, and it is very cool. It's also neat how 2 (or was it 3?) spare magazines could be clipped onto the weapon itself.
fallout ranger said:
Well another thing, "magazines" can't be topped off, and the ammunition is succeptible to getting wet...I think.
I never heard anything about topping off the magazines, but the square shape of the rounds meant that it was much more efficient space-wise than conventional round ones, where a lot of space is wasted between the rounds. As for getting wet, never saw anything about it, though it seems a reasonable concern considering the propellant is exposed.

Alright, I'm not exactly sure if I've posted my guns on this forum somewhere before, I coulda sworn I had but according to my posting record I didn't.

Anyway, this is Vira:

IMG_1050.jpg

Started as a Ruger .357 Bisley Blackhawk, with the following modifications done by myself (not all shown since it's an older photo):

-added Super Blackhawk hammer, trigger, and grip frame
-added bullseye ejector rod for easier shell ejecting (not shown)
-shortened base pin for longer ejector stroke and added a thumb lever for easier removal (not shown)
-added lanyard ring and stud to grip frame (not shown)
-polished internals for better function, and reduced trigger pull to aprox 12lbs (50% less than factory spec)

To be done over the summer by pro gunsmithis:
*9 inch bull barrel with rail and custom front sight
*4 click half cock conversion

EDIT: also, last but not least, it'll need refinishing since the barrel should match the frame, so I might blue the custom barrel, or if I can afford it I'll get the whole gun chrome or nickel plated, or maybe something in slate metallic gray. I dunno, I haven't looked into it enough yet to decide.

Also in my small arsenal:
-one old model Ruger Super Single Six
-one new model Ruger Single Six, to be restored
-one 12 gauge Boito double barreled shotgun, cut down to 18 1/4 inches

2 spares and 1 loaded, Kyuu. that makes it 100 rounds spare on top of the rifle and 50 loaded. neato!

as for magazines being harder to load (you needed a lil contraption to help), does it really matter? you can carry a shitload of 50 round magazines... preloaded. and since it is more susceptible to damaging the ammo, it is unlikely that rounds would be transported loose anyway?

InTheOnlineAsbestosSuit said:

I love Ruger single actions. In my opinion, the Ruger blackhawk series is some of the best pointers on the planet.

I have six blackhawks in my arsenal of freedom...

Kyuu said:
Yeah I actually noticed that, and it is very cool. It's also neat how 2 (or was it 3?) spare magazines could be clipped onto the weapon itself.
its two on the gun and one the mag in the well. Watch the video.

Kyuu said:
fallout ranger said:
Well another thing, "magazines" can't be topped off, and the ammunition is succeptible to getting wet...I think.
I never heard anything about topping off the magazines, but the square shape of the rounds meant that it was much more efficient space-wise than conventional round ones, where a lot of space is wasted between the rounds. As for getting wet, never saw anything about it, though it seems a reasonable concern considering the propellant is exposed.

The propellant was easily solved and topping off is a matter of sliding a feeder as shown in this Japanese video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uPfBr_B78o[/youtube]

I can't express how much I love this series of videos or the g11. The g11 was purchased by the German military, but they changed to the G36.

Ah-Teen said:
I can't express how much I love this series of videos or the g11. The g11 was purchased by the German military, but they changed to the G36.
that's not exactly true...

the G11's were cancelled in 1990, due to various reasons.

as a result, the Bundeswehr still needed a new NATO compliant rifle, and HK started the development of the G36.

as such, the G36 was never a competitor of the G11, since the G11 was already cancelled when HK started the development of the G36.

as for your 'purchase', the army only received about 1000 units of G11s. it was just a testbatch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0[/youtube]

That extra penetration explained in the video is why I prefer the AK. And anyways, assault rifles are best used from 50-300 Meters. Anything farther and ill switch to a good ol fashioned .308 Bolt action, instead of use an M16.

My prefs in combat based on range.

*Sidearm* Colt 1911 .45

1-10 Meters - Benelli M4 Super 90 12 Gauge

20-100 Meters - AK-47 (Spray and pray)

50-400 Meters - AK-74

400 Meters up - M40-A3 7.62

Dopemine Cleric said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0[/youtube]

That extra penetration explained in the video is why I prefer the AK. And anyways, assault rifles are best used from 50-300 Meters. Anything farther and ill switch to a good ol fashioned .308 Bolt action, instead of use an M16.

My prefs in combat based on range.

*Sidearm* Colt 1911 .45

1-10 Meters - Benelli M4 Super 90 12 Gauge

20-100 Meters - AK-47 (Spray and pray)

50-400 Meters - AK-74

400 Meters up - M40-A3 7.62

Why not skip the 47 all together and go to the 74? despite the orange magazines.... What genious, ORANGE!

Back