Was Fallout 76 saveable or was it doomed in concept?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Octavian, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Octavian

Octavian First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2018
    In a world where Bethesda are actually competent developers could it be pulled off well? Or is an RPG with multiplayer doomed to be stripped of all mechanics and fail? How would you go about it in a satisfying way thats still true to the original concept?

Mostly asking because wasteland 3 is implementing multiplayer as well and 76 has me worried.

2. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    I don't see why not. There are good MMORPGs. The toughest part would be maintaining atmosphere with players congregating around NPCs all the time. Not sure it'd really matter though. Lots of stuff looks proper silly in MMOs, owing to their nature. Populations never look right anyway.

3. WeissYohji

WeissYohji First time out of the vault

Nov 8, 2018
    I don't play MMORPGs and I don't play FO76, but from what I've seen and heard of it, Bethesda shot themselves in the foot by making it an MMO and not having any human NPCs. How are you going to have a Fallout game and not have any wastelanders to interact with once you're out of Vault 76? Without any people in the wasteland to give you quests, fight, etc., it just feels like you're in a fake park shooting at CGI critters.

4. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Wasteland 3 multiplayer is very different from Fallout 76 multiplayer.

Wasteland multiplayer is limited to 2 players. But they are not random players, you can play with a friend. Basically, no one will join your game unless you want them to.

And the world will react to those players actions. The players can play co-op and do missions together, or they can act on their own and do stuff separated. But its a reactive world, so it's very different from Fallout 76.

Also you can turn your multiplayer save into single-player if you want to.

Here is a nice article from 2 months ago:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/au/wasteland-3-everything-we-know/

5. AlphaPromethean

AlphaPromethean Vault Senior Citizen

Mar 16, 2013
    I actually think open world survival multiplayer game is a good idea for Fallout, spin off wise. I think people need to keep in mind that gameplay wise Spin-Offs can be whatever with no real harm.

In concept, players coming from a Vault and exploring West Virginia, building their own Wasteland camps and hunting to survive is a great idea but they just fucked every single layer of execution.

6. yfk12

yfk12 Degenerate who belongs on a cross

May 31, 2018
    Pretty much any game idea, if implemented correctly by the right developer, can make for a great game.

7. Octavian

Octavian First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2018
    So I read at the end of the article preorder is $30 but retail is $50. Should i just preorder this shit? Usually I don't preorder products but its literally 20 bucks off.