Why is Fallout Tactics so underrated/Disliked?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Negativity, Oct 20, 2017.

1. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    Small choices with surprising and subtle changes to the world and your adventure, okay...for example?

I'm not sure where you get the impression that it was supposed to be game changing, but one option has Megaton destroyed, removing that entire settlement from your playthrough. Only one character survives, it affects other questlines, and though karma can always be changed it does instantly make you evil enough that the Regulators will start trying to kill you. I think it affects the traveling merchants too, but I only did it once and I never had a reason to check back repeatedly to see if they kept coming. One less place to find them makes a difference as well. Also Liam Neeson gets angry at you. As I already said you are given reasons to both save and destroy Megaton.

Burke
    "You mean besides doing the world a favor by removing this pestilent scab of a town? Why, you'd be rewarded most handsomely! My employer is a very generous man. If it's bottle caps and luxury you're seeking. You shall have it!"
    "Absolutely not! The place, the people, they're one and the same! Sacrifices for a nobler future. I assure you, they are worth ten times as much in death, as they are in life."
    "I represent certain... interests. And those interests view this town, this "Megaton," as a blight on a burgeoning urban landscape."
    "If this settlement were to... go away. Why, who would really care? Certainly not you, or I..."
    "Megaton is obsolete. The last vestige of a cobbled, desperate past. It needs to... go away. And you are going to see that it does."

He also says stuff that might be more focused on ghouls, but at the very least informs us of his philosophy. I'm not saying it's the most brilliant writing in the world. You want to tell me it's shallow. Yeah, pretty much, but you're coming across as just plain unfamiliar with the game.

2. mithrap

mithrap Ring a ding-ding, baby

May 17, 2016
    In tactics specifically? I seem to remember having the choice to take sides for unagressive non-human during a few missions, for example, which leads command to disregard you, but ultimately allows you to conscript mutants in your team and have unique NPCs to talk to. I think it also changes one element of the ending, with the brotherhood coexisting with mutants and working with them on scientific projects instead of hunting them down.
    There's that mission with a tribe holding a vault, that can be killed by accident if you turn on the vault's electric systems (which help you in your mission, but dooms the civilians outside) and gets you roasted by your command in the debriefing.
    The way you deal with missions also change how tribal NPCs react to you if I'm not mistaken. Dialogues with elders from the tribes at the beginning are different depending on how you handled side missions, like taking more risks in order to help a hostage escape. Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played tactics for a long time, but I have good memories of it. Not as memorable as the big trio, but still a pretty solid Fallout title, which introduced new gameplay and lore elements in quite a good way.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    You are actually using James underreaction as a proof of consequence :question:

And that quote is Burke wasting sound recording with noise to not actually say anything.

4. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    You are suggesting that it isn't consequential?

As I said, it's not exactly quality writing. My only point was that he provides reasons. *quotes

5. nkchan16

nkchan16 First time out of the vault

Jul 27, 2016
    I have Tactics but I've never played it, so I have no clue about its actual flaws. However, I played Fallout and Fallout 2 back to back in 1999 while playing Jagged Alliance 2, which is another squad based tactical RPG. Upon finishing Fallout 2 I thought it would be a great idea if there were a game that combined Fallout and JA2, because these two games would complement each other's weak points. Indeed, Fallout was a better role-playing experience, while JA2 offered better tactical and squad control, interactions between team members and so on. I assume Tactics failed to do that, otherwise it'd be our favorite Fallout game.

Perhaps you should compare Tactics with JA2 first and then decide whether or not it was successful in achieving its full potential.

6. Whammytap

Whammytap First time out of the vault

Aug 5, 2016
    I am currently on my first playthrough of Tactics. I'm reserving jusgement until I'm done. Liking it so far. It's different.

7. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 6, 2016
    It would be wonderful a slide ending for FO3 where you blow up Megaton and the wind carries the fallout to the Tempenny tower, killing everyone XD

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. Risewild

Risewild Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Except if you moved the ghouls in :wiggle:.

• [Like] [Like] x 1