A rumored Fallout 1 Remake created by Bethesda Austin (The developers behind Fallout 76)

TheAnimeHunter

First time out of the vault
This sounds to me like a nightmare scenario designed to horrify members of No Mutants Allowed, so lets talk about it! We're all fans of crushing dread, paralyzing despair and fleeting hope - right?

In all seriousness, I'll just go over what the rumors claim and we'll see where things go from here. So, according to rumors a Fallout 1 remake being made by the dev's behind Fallout 76 will re-create Fallout 1 - including its isometric gameplay. Now, let me go over one key reason why this rumor is most likely bogus:

Todd Howard himself has specifically stated how he doesn't like remakes, I can't remember where I learned this but I think this was regarding a Fallout 3 remake. Now I'm not saying Todd Howard is the guy approving what games are and are not made amongst all of Bethesda, but if something like this were really in the works I would assume Todd would at least say something about it. From there I assume his general disparagement would at least put the idea of a Fallout 1 remake to rest.

(Probably cynical) Counterargument: Nostalgia = Money + Bethesda needs to earn back some good will, so of course they will remake Fallout 1 and use everything good about that game to try and bring back anybody burned by Fallout 76 - if not make it seem as though they're able to make another good Fallout game.

If Bethesda was ever gonna remake any of the first two Fallout games, they would NOT keep the isometric point of view. Claiming they will remake it while saying they will keep that perspective instantly makes it fake news.

What’s the source for this rumor?

I’ve also heard Todd Howard say how he doesn’t want to remake older games like daggerfall. Also, I can’t imagine an isometric fallout 1 remake would be something that the majority of fallout fans would not want. They’d want it to be an FPS.

At least they should have remake it similiar to Wasteland 2/3. New engine but keep all the isometric view.

I don't think they —can— remake the older games; I think they'd be flying blind for what to keep, and how any of it could be improved. From day 1 their [public] perception of [Fallout] RPGs has played out like the Brawndo argument. They haven't a clue why those games are good; as they often contradict what they —know— to them is self-evidently bad.

Pete Hines once stated [paraphrased] that it was policy never to surprise the player; that it be made clear what consequence their actions would entail. If they made a good, or an evil choice, they must know that going in to it.

Yet one of Fallout's amazing feats was to get players to immediately replay the game after the end, to clear their own conscience for ruining or destroying some settlements for their careless/ or naive choice of interactions.
_________

Last edited:
Todd Howard himself has specifically stated how he doesn't like remakes, I can't remember where I learned this but I think this was regarding a Fallout 3 remake.

Here:
Howard also demurred on something that fans are constantly asking for, especially since Skyrim was rereleased on PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch: modern remasters of Bethesda’s older games. “I’m happy that you can play Morrowind now on an Xbox One, as it’s backwards compatible. I’m really happy that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and others are making it easier for people to play [older games] as they were played at the time. I actually prefer that over remasters,” he says. “I’d rather you play Morrowind the way it was ... I think the age is part of its identity.

“For Skyrim Remastered, we had done some work on it but it was already pretty visually close. But for something like Morrowind, my personal preference is not to remaster it. We [also] get asked a lot to remaster [1997’s] Fallout 1, and I usually say, if you have a PC you can play Fallout the way it was. I think that’s how it should be. I think streaming technology is definitely coming, and it’s gonna make people’s access to games infinitely easier. You’ve seen it happen to music and movies and I think it’s a great thing.”

And this too:
I spoke to Bethesda’s Pete Hines a while back and he was pretty clear on one thing: no Morrowind remaster.

"To take Morrowind and then to completely rebuild it? It was an Xbox game. To completely rebuild it have it be relevant for today? That’s a pretty massive team doing a massive amount of work,” he explained.

With a game as old as Morrowind (2002!?) it’s not just a case of brushing up the textures a bit. “You go back and look at it. Do you remember the dialogue system in Morrowind?” points out Hines. “Do you remember what it was like talking to someone and scrolling through this long list of questions. You put that out for someone that just finished Skyrim and they’re going to be like ‘What in the hell…?’”

But there's something different from back then. They are now owned by Microsoft, and Microsoft does like their remasters. After all, they've been milking the Age of Empires franchise with remasters for years now, and they even released new expansions for the remasters, just to milk it some more.
So maybe Microsoft is seeing those dollar signs flying around when they think of all Bethesda owned classics that are still popular these days.

I honestly fucking hope not. Because we know that the team will make the lore of Fallout 1 fall more in line with that of Fallout 76, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4.
They would also butcher the game mechanics.

On another note, I would not mind if fans made an 'expanded' version of Fallout 1, even if many consider it perfect as it is right.
Bring back cut parts such as factions and locations that fit. And expand existing locations, factions etc.

On another note, I would not mind if fans made an 'expanded' version of Fallout 1, even if many consider it perfect as it is right.

There is a Fallout 4 mod project that hopes to re-create Fallout 1 in Fallout 4's engine, but that mod is being made by people who want to add more quests and characters to "improve" Fallout 1's story, if that isn't a red flag than I don't know what is.

If they remake it, they will have to remake it from scratch and somehow re-do every feature of the Fallout engine in a newer one. Remember, the Fallout Engine sourcecode was lost.

Of all the three Classic Fallouts, I think its FOT that would benefit the most from a remake. Not because graphics (FOT looks sexy even today, althrough a bit of work could make shine even more), but to:
1. Make it more of an open-ended game.
2. Bring it further in line with canon.
3. Make Combat Armor available in-game (very important)

Bring back cut parts such as factions and locations that fit. And expand existing locations, factions etc.

Same. I almost made a thread on the subject last year. I have some ideas.

EtTu is there, remember. With FO1 defacto ported to the FO2 version of the engine, Sky's the Limit.

a 2020s version of fallout where instead of finding a water chip and dealing with radiation, wasteland mutants and raiders, you have to find a cure for aids and deal with shit on the street, fentanyl addicts and cops
the final boss is george floyd's spirit

yeah nah i dont think its legit. it doesnt seem to fit in with what theyve been selling already

You can't really shit out a remake of a Bethesda game. The content in Fallout 1 just isn't enough to balloon into an open world sandbox-esque style so it would ultimately be rewritten and expanded upon with 'their' writing quality. They take a very long time and a lot of budget to produce and a remake of Fallout 1 would be pointless without a commitment to a remake of Fallout 2 as it would obviously rewrite the lore as they'd have to pad out the game. So it means committing to 2 remakes that are going to be very costly and take a very long time.

I honestly don't think a Bethesda-style remake will happen.

The only kind of remakes I could see as possible is a Fallout 1/2 combo package where it is based on smaller map nodes but still sandbox. Think of The Pitt DLC in Fallout 3. Fallout 1's map nodes would essentially turn into that. Slap on a world map with some random encounters along the way. Shouldn't require as much time or budget as a normal Bethesda style game. Fallout 1 and 2 combined definitely got enough content in them to be a "proper full length modern game".

The other kind of remake is ironically enough just a straight up remake that is isometric, turnbased and a cRPG. Maybe daddy Microsoft goes "look, Wasteland 3 is making money, Fallout could also be making that kinda money from that kinda crowd" and wanting to play it safe they just go with a remake rather than a full fledged new game.

Now, would an outside studio be as shit as Bethesda at handling the lore?
I have absolutely no idea. I mean if they're going to literally remake the game then they would HAVE to replay those games and read through their lore and dialogue to figure out whats what and I don't see how they could possibly fuck that up nor do I really think Bethesda would at that point be anal about what lore goes into the game either. They don't care about the lore of their own games after all.

Honestly, I don't care though. If I wanna play Fallout I'll go play Fallout. I don't care what new fans' opinions are of the lore or state of the series nor do I care about wiki sites that collect lore or anything either. They've already butchered Fallout completely and prancing around in its skinsuit. What difference does it make if they decide to fuck around with the previous games? If they stop selling them then just pirate them.

I’m on the fence about whether a Fallout 1 and 2 remake would be a necessary evil. Doing so would see the actual originals finally free from being dragged through the mud by Bethesda fans as the remakes would essentially be an official separation of Interplay/Bethesda canon. But not sure if the cost would be worth it.

Last edited:
Now, would an outside studio be as shit as Bethesda at handling the lore?

That's a good question. I wouldn't count Obsidian as "outside" because Obsidian is pretty much Black Isle.
InXile would be interesting, or maybe Larian but I heard they are woke now.

Personally, I would like to see an Eastern European studio try their hand at it. Seems like the best Fallout/Fallout-adjacent content these days is created by Eastern European dudes - Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Belarussians, Russians, Ukrainians, Baltics, etc. Hell, "Fallout Clone" is a genre created there.

Seriously, just... let the slavs handle it.

Last edited:
Who considers Fallout or its sequel perfect? They should play them again. Amazing games, both of them very much worth improving upon.

Now that Et Tu is more or less at feature parity with Fallout 1 and has some marked improvements already, it's time for cut content. There's a lot of BOS material left on the cutting room floor. Red888guns has S'Lanter animations on his DeviantArt, so we would need some oasis tilesets but the Burrows are doable. Vipers have a lot of information on them from Jesse Heines, less on the Jackals but Fallout: Sonora does a great depiction of that tribe in their Fallout 1 era. I believe that the Boneyard has a lot left on the table too.

Fallout 2 has MIB88's Megamod. A community-made Fallout 1 megamod full of restored content, expanded locations, new talking heads based on concept art, all would be well worth the effort. Unfortunately, the western Fallout modding community has yet to band together to finish Mutants Rising or Fallout: Sonora, so maybe the efforts should be put towards those games first before violating the sacred cow.

it's time for cut content.

A Fallout Restoration Patch, if you will? That would be awesome.
Would be cool to have a tread about it.

I feel one big thing to address in a possible FO1RP would be the Mutant Invasions. I feel like the way both vanilla and FIXT do them is kinda weak, its essentially a timer you don't (or shouldn't) know about. Feels like you should be able to know where you are with the mutant invasion clocks, and be able to slow them down before tackling on Mariposa and the Cathedral.

Also, because the player is getting stronger with more places to go, more quests and a longer game, the end-game should be harder.

There's a lot of BOS material left on the cutting room floor.

Really? How so? I know about the Brotherhood spy quest, is there anything else?

Vipers have a lot of information on them from Jesse Heines, less on the Jackals but Fallout: Sonora does a great depiction of that tribe in their Fallout 1 era

Yeah, that Vipers info is pretty cool.
The stuff from Van Buren about the Jackals might help a bit.

Also, if we're adding new locations, like Viper and Burrows, it would be necessary to properly fit them into the flow of the game. Like, why would the Vault Dweller go out of his way to go at the Vipers? I would say Vipers and Burrows being meant for a Post-Necropolis character might flow better.

I believe that the Boneyard has a lot left on the table too.

Right? AFAIK release Boneyard is a shadow of itself. Boneyard was supposed to be a bigger deal. Blades as a real gang, Rippers and Tangler, Followers' Spy quest, etc.
Remove Deathclaws and put them somewhere else - say, have two areas between Blades and Deathclaws instead of one?

Also, if we're adding new locations, like Viper and Burrows, it would be necessary to properly fit them into the flow of the game. Like, why would the Vault Dweller go out of his way to go at the Vipers? I would say Vipers and Burrows being meant for a Post-Necropolis character might flow better.
Based on what Heines said, the inclusion of the Vipers also meant an expanded role for the Khans, where you could choose which raider gang to help against the other. Vipers were also on vaguely-friendly terms with the people of Junktown, so they might have been the sort of place a player could visit earlier in the game. I don't think they would have been so helpful in the quest for the water chip, though, so maybe gating access to post-Necropolis makes sense. Vipers also need frames for the pit viper creature.

I think the Burrows would have to be post-Necropolis, you'd likely learn of its existence only after visiting the Glow.

Another important faction would have been the rebel Nightkin. The wiki doesn't give any information on where they could have been found. Another zone in the Boneyard, or maybe some other camp out in the middle of the desert? I think they're an interesting idea, showing that even if the Master succeeded there was always going to be the human element of independence in his creations.

And then there's all of the cut talking heads. We have a significant talking head with voice acting mod for Fallout 2; the same can be done based on the concept art for Fallout 1.

Heh heh, this thread as of now... aged POORLY!

Now they can still do something like this in the future, but the info that was leaked a few months ago says otherwise. Basically, we won't be getting a Fallout 1 remake anytime soon!

:ok: :-D :roll:

Back